Struggling with the Nitto 315's decision because of the IRS bolt

OverToad

Established Member
I've read every post in this forum regarding the button-head bolt mod, and am more confused now than when I started this research at 8 am this morning :mj:

I called AFS about any that they might have. They will only sell to customers who've purchased rims from them (which I did), but are out of stock, and don't believe they'll see them anytime soon.

I've seen concerns over the ones that 69Gordon was kind enough to put in the effort to procure.

And I've reservations about shaving down the head of the stock bolt, though I've no doubts about Undy's quallifications or expertise.

The tire vendors have stated that I WILL have rubbing happen no matter what size 315's I go with, even though I've seen many users on this board state they are racing their cars with Nitto's and not having any problems.

:nonono:

I'm leaning towards shaving down the stock bolt, but I'm worried about damaging the structural integrity of it.

I realize this has been kicked around alot, but perhaps there is more feedback to be had, or maybe someone ordered a few extra sets of bolts, and would be willing to part with a set or two.

Regards,
HeWhoIsRunningOnHisLastNerve

OverToad

Established Member
Why don't you just run the 275 DR? No bolt. No stress.

That would be the prudent, intelligent, smart thing to do :)

Unfortunately, I quallify as none of the above! :loser:

Ideally, I was hoping for a 295/35, but they don't exist. I can get a 285, but that's not enough of a difference to justify jetisoning the 275's. From there, I get the 315.

The brother of a girl I date on occasion has been an NTB guy in the past. I phoned him and asked what he thought about the 275's on a 10.5" rear. He said "It will fit, but I wouldn't do it" which threw me back to the position I'm in right now. :shrug:

Blades

Established Member
A lot of people have the 315s mounted on 9 inch rims. Its fine.. Do you want me to video tape the install and launch a few times on camera for you? I can do that in... 17 days when i go home..

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
buddy of mine has the 315 nittos on his car...stock wheels, stock bolts, stock suspension...no rubbing yet and he's been to the tracks about 3 different times and drives the car like a bat out of hell.

OverToad

Established Member
A lot of people have the 315s mounted on 9 inch rims. Its fine.. Do you want me to video tape the install and launch a few times on camera for you? I can do that in... 17 days when i go home..

Very kind to offer, but not at all necessary :)

I've PM'ed Undy to pick his brain about grinding down the head of the bolt, and will probably look in that direction, just for safety's sake.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I agree with socalblk03, going with rims with a different offset would be the easier thing to do for the long run.

JMD0346

Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
I've read every post in this forum regarding the button-head bolt mod, and am more confused now than when I started this research at 8 am this morning :mj:

I called AFS about any that they might have. They will only sell to customers who've purchased rims from them (which I did), but are out of stock, and don't believe they'll see them anytime soon.

I've seen concerns over the ones that 69Gordon was kind enough to put in the effort to procure.

And I've reservations about shaving down the head of the stock bolt, though I've no doubts about Undy's quallifications or expertise.

The tire vendors have stated that I WILL have rubbing happen no matter what size 315's I go with, even though I've seen many users on this board state they are racing their cars with Nitto's and not having any problems.

:nonono:

I'm leaning towards shaving down the stock bolt, but I'm worried about damaging the structural integrity of it.

I realize this has been kicked around alot, but perhaps there is more feedback to be had, or maybe someone ordered a few extra sets of bolts, and would be willing to part with a set or two.

Regards,
HeWhoIsRunningOnHisLastNerve

I have 315's on stock rims with no problems. The only time it rubs is at full extention of the suspension. This should only happen on the lift. You have a good 6-8 inches of travel before you would even come close to rubbing the bolt. If you go past that ,the tire rubbing is the least of your worries. Ill say this too. When it does come in contact with the bolt it is very close to the part that the bolt goes through. Shaving it will help, but its not going to completly stop it. I say go for it. You will be glad you did. Its one of the best mods to get. Just dont let the wheel fall in a ditch(lol).

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
the following excerpt is from the Ford service manual in the section regarding rear subframe removal:

CAUTION: Suspension fasteners are critical parts because they affect performance of vital components and systems and their failure can result in major service expense. A new part with the same part number must be installed if installation becomes necessary. Torque values must be used as specified during reassembly.

NOTE: Discard the old (subframe) bolts and nuts. Do not reuse, install new bolts and nuts.

my personal opinion is that grinding the head would not weaken the bolt unless you overheated it.

I think the buttonheads may not be the proper specs for this application....IIRC, I think they were a good bit harder (Rockwell) than the OEM's and while that increases the tensile strength it might actually make them more susceptible to breaking under high shear loads, which is how they are being used here...the stock ones also have a shoulder that supports the bushing sleeve, don't they? the BH's are threaded all the way to the cap

Crazy03

Established Member
I have the 315-35-17 nitto drag radials on mine, with 17 by 10.5 in the back and I have had absolute no problems at all. Hope this helps they are not AFS wheels though. They are a different replica brand.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Crazy03
I have the 315-35-17 nitto drag radials on mine, with 17 by 10.5 in the back and I have had absolute no problems at all. Hope this helps they are not AFS wheels though. They are a different replica brand.
What brand? That might help.:)

ALLNTRL

Established Member
What is the status on the ARP bolts that Bosko was suppose to be getting made? :shrug:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The replica wheels Discount Tire sells have the same offset (27mm) as the AFS 17x10.5s.

Users who are viewing this thread