Studying Abroad

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
Who has done it? How was it? Was it worth the money?

For those that don't know what it is it's when you can go over seas to a different country and take college courses and the credits count towards your major.

I'm really thinking about doing this next summer (I missed this summers deadline) with a buddy of mine and go to Spain. If I do go looks like I will have to put my turbo/engine build on hold:)fm:) and start saving up for this trip!

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
its an excuse to take bullshit classes and go overseas to travel and have fun

+1. I honestly dont think people learn anything from those classes besides having fun, partying, drinking, and sight seeing for a whole semester.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Not in college, but I spent some time in Costa Rica as a foreign exchange student back in high school. I had already taken 3 years of Spanish, so language wasn't much of a hurdle. It was a blast though. Seriously one of the best times of my life. The family I stayed with was really nice and I made some really good friends. There were a couple of us guys, and the girls loved that we were American. Weekends were great, I got to see so much of the country. The food was fantastic. You do need to save up a lot of money though if you aren't going to work while you are abroad.

I also hosted a French exchange student, he was pretty cool. One thing that was funny was how fascinated he was with how big our cars and trucks are here.

Last edited:

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
its an excuse to take bullshit classes and go overseas to travel and have fun

+1. I honestly dont think people learn anything from those classes besides having fun, partying, drinking, and sight seeing for a whole semester.

You guys are saying that like its a bad thing? lol

But thats really why I want to do it I have never been out of the country (except Canada) and this seems like perfect opportunity to live some where for a short while

Not in college, but I spent some time in Costa Rica as a foreign exchange student back in high school. I had already taken 3 years of Spanish, so language wasn't much of a hurdle. It was a blast though. Seriously one of the best times of my life. The family I stayed with was really nice and I made some really good friends. There were a couple of us guys, and the girls loved that we were American. Weekends were great, I got to see so much of the country. The food was fantastic. You do need to save up a lot of money though if you aren't going to work while you are abroad.

I also hosted a French exchange student, he was pretty cool. One thing that was funny was how fascinated he was with how big our cars and trucks are here.

Thats another thing I was thinking about.... Should I try to get a job while I'm there... I'm leaning towards the negative on that one but it might be necessary

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
its a bad thing only cuz if your putting oyurself into debt for school to learn is oen thing but if oyur doing itto take bullshit classes abroad your pissing oyur money away and possibly your parents money if they are paying for it, if you have the cash to burn great but the way things are now i think you outta save yourself them money.

also most people i know who went abroad ended up having to take an extra semester of school to make up for the credits they didnt get in required courses etc. just something to think about

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Thats another thing I was thinking about.... Should I try to get a job while I'm there... I'm leaning towards the negative on that one but it might be necessary

Visas for students can be tricky depending on where you go as far as work goes. You have to do your research. It also depends where you go for how much money you need. In Costa Rica our money went pretty far, you go to the UK though and that same dollar isn't going to buy you anywhere near as much. If you are seriously planning on doing it, I would start saving every penny I could right now. You are better off having more money than you need instead of not enough in a foreign country.

Where are you thinking about going?

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
Visas for students can be tricky depending on where you go as far as work goes. You have to do your research. It also depends where you go for how much money you need. In Costa Rica our money went pretty far, you go to the UK though and that same dollar isn't going to buy you anywhere near as much. If you are seriously planning on doing it, I would start saving every penny I could right now. You are better off having more money than you need instead of not enough in a foreign country.

Where are you thinking about going?

Ya I'm gonna start saving as much as I can, I can see getting a job being pretty hard. Unfortunatly though this is going to put my build on hold but I think it will be worth it.

I'm looking to go to Madrid Spain. My father has been there once and said that the place is beautiful, plus living in south Florida it wouldn't hurt learning spanish. My buddies were telling me that almost every weekend they offer cheap tickets (either plane or train) to go to different countries and cities so I think I will try to take advantage of that and go to as many different places I can.

Users who are viewing this thread