stumbling/choppy during acceleraion

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,

Back again I guess when it rains it pours. Drove the 03 back from the shop, still needing a new clutch cable because they just lost there transmission guy and couldn't work on it. Anyway, driving back (also before I dropped it off but thought it may have been transmission related) I noticed it was getting choppy and stumbling when I accelerated, not violently but I've driven this car enough to know when something doesn't feel right. It seems to be more noticeable if I am accelerating more quickly vs just slowly rolling into. Trying to search stuff not sure if I am using the correct words to find info on it but seems that it might be a fuel issue or spark plugs.

Any ideas or tests I should perform to rule out something?

Thanks,

Bob

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Check the cold air snorkel that clamps to the throttle body. The rubber breaks down and is difficult to seal. I
had similar issues when I first bought my car.

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,

Back again I guess when it rains it pours. Drove the 03 back from the shop, still needing a new clutch cable because they just lost there transmission guy and couldn't work on it. Anyway, driving back (also before I dropped it off but thought it may have been transmission related) I noticed it was getting choppy and stumbling when I accelerated, not violently but I've driven this car enough to know when something doesn't feel right. It seems to be more noticeable if I am accelerating more quickly vs just slowly rolling into. Trying to search stuff not sure if I am using the correct words to find info on it but seems that it might be a fuel issue or spark plugs.

Any ideas or tests I should perform to rule out something?

Thanks,

Bob
I checked around, I didn't see any disconnected or loose lines. Also, which ones are the vacuum lines specifically the red lines or black? Should I do the carb cleaner spray test?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Sounds like an ignition/spark issue. A vacuum issue should cause a lean condition and trip the CEL. Check the plugs and coils or wait for a CEL..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black2010

Established Member
What's wrong with the clutch cable? Only ask because it could be your clutch slipping if the cable is causing it to not to fully engage.

Most likely cause is stated above but if that doesn't pan out you may want to try changing the fuel filter. I had this happen on my 02 GT. Chased things for a bit and after the fuel filter was changed the problem went away. Never thought it could/would cause that so it was last on my list of things to check. Car only had 60K miles on it.

mustangbob

Established Member
20170419_121445_zpsxa44sgqz.jpg

That's what happened to the cable.
20170419_121445_zpsh9u3ab6a.jpg

Last edited:

mustangbob

Established Member
What's wrong with the clutch cable? Only ask because it could be your clutch slipping if the cable is causing it to not to fully engage.

Most likely cause is stated above but if that doesn't pan out you may want to try changing the fuel filter. I had this happen on my 02 GT. Chased things for a bit and after the fuel filter was changed the problem went away. Never thought it could/would cause that so it was last on my list of things to check. Car only had 60K miles on it.

Replaced cable now clutch is working normal. I took it out for about a 20 minute drive after warming up in the garage. I did notice that under load it was a lot more hesitant. I would take off in first gear and apply decent gas and it was fine but if I left from a stop in a higher gear like 4th and gave it gas it was extremely choppy. So it seems like having it under a load makes it worse. Having it in neutral and revving it the engine was fine, and it idles fine. I ordered a new motorcraft fuel filter and it should be here tomorrow, hoping it is just the fuel filter. I tried the carb spray on parts to test for a vacuum leak and did not notice the engine idle changing speeds at all an still no codes have popped.

MG0h3

Established Member
Saw in your other thread car sat for a bit. Not sure how long but gas can go bad and it is more likely to show under load.

Like others stated, ignition components being worn can cause exactly what you are describing. Could even be coil(s) failing under load.

Sounds like it was happening before you worked on the cable but make sure you didn't disturb anything doing the work.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mustangbob

Established Member
I'm going to change the fuel filter first anyway especially since it sat for a while with the gas and its been a long time since it was changed out, I think around 14,000 miles a few years ago and its got 32,0000 on it now. If that doesn't fix it then I will pull the plugs and change them out. Are the recommendations still the NGK TR6 for mostly stock engines? And recommended gap?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I'm going to change the fuel filter first anyway especially since it sat for a while with the gas and its been a long time since it was changed out, I think around 14,000 miles a few years ago and its got 32,0000 on it now. If that doesn't fix it then I will pull the plugs and change them out. Are the recommendations still the NGK TR6 for mostly stock engines? And recommended gap?

How much boost? When I was pullied and 13/14 pounds I was at .032 gap. TR6's are good. Stock gap I think is .054. I'm currently at 22psi and my gap is at .025. It depends on your setup is all.

mustangbob

Established Member
How much boost? When I was pullied and 13/14 pounds I was at .032 gap. TR6's are good. Stock gap I think is .054. I'm currently at 22psi and my gap is at .025. It depends on your setup is all.

I'm still on the stock pulley. So I will do 0.054 then. Thanks

mustangbob

Established Member
If it's a misfire it will show on a load. High gear low speed while accelerating uphill etc

Pulled the plugs and replaced them. All the COP's seemed to be sparking as well car seems to be running a lot better now. I didn't notice any bogging under load in fact it was really smooth putting it in 6th gear at low speeds. However, I almost feel like there still might be some minor hesitation when I am getting into higher boost but it could just be the bumps in the road. But as of now it seems to be fixed and driveable.

Anyway, thank you guys for all the help this place is a life saver when you're trying to find and fix all the gremlins.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Pulled the plugs and replaced them. All the COP's seemed to be sparking as well car seems to be running a lot better now. I didn't notice any bogging under load in fact it was really smooth putting it in 6th gear at low speeds. However, I almost feel like there still might be some minor hesitation when I am getting into higher boost but it could just be the bumps in the road. But as of now it seems to be fixed and driveable.

Anyway, thank you guys for all the help this place is a life saver when you're trying to find and fix all the gremlins.
I've always used the motorcraft #12 fine wire. .they were used on early models.
But I gap at 40..

I recall reading sticker on hood is wrong.

At a 54 gap you may be getting spark blow out..

mustangbob

Established Member
I've always used the motorcraft #12 fine wire. .they were used on early models.
But I gap at 40..

I recall reading sticker on hood is wrong.

At a 54 gap you may be getting spark blow out..
Yeah, sorry I ended up going with a .038 gap forgot to mention that. I researched afterwards and 54 seemed to be to much

Users who are viewing this thread