Stupid racing question/HELP

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
Please don't bash me too hard on this one, but I have not drag raced a stick car outside of light to light and rolling street races (don't do it anymore), but I need some tips on how to launch. I know I have the 02 GT, but it is more for show, and I just got the cobra, and my 92 that was stick was sold before I had the chance to try it at the track, but I have run my 93 but it was auto. I want to go to a test and tune session and get some practice with it, but I don't know what to launch at and I get a little nervous power shifting. Sorry if I sound like a total newb, but most races were rolling. Please Help!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well hopefully you have drag radials. If not then just be careful. You can do this two ways. First you can just do it the easy way and just pretty much leave off of idle. This won't get you the best 60 foots but then again it's by far the easier route to take. Second while you at the light keep the throttle around 3-3,500 rpm's. Then when you start to go just slip the clutch until you have it fully engaged. After that you still might not be able to floor it but just pay attention to if you're spinning of wheel hopping. If you wheel hop just abort that run. That's the route just about everyone uses. It takes a while to get used to but you can get some really good times doing this.

Good luck and post how you did. Also it might take 3 or 4 passes for you to actually calm down and start improving. A little to much adrenaline flowing lol.

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
Thanks Posi for the advice. I always wanted to run a stick car at the track, just never had the chance, I'll post up as soon as I get a chance.

musclefan21

Established Member
Take Posi's advice and add this >>> I say practice at some backroads. stop, launch the car, go through gears and then do it again. that should help you alot.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
Take posi's advice and also just make sure you hit your gears. That is what helps me the most, missing shifts SUCKS. Once you get used to it the faster shifting will come.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
Anyone who bashes you for being nervous has never taken a vehicle down the strip. One thing I would suggest, don't worry about reaction time. Wait until you are comfortable and ready to go. Reaction time has nothing to do with ET. The clock only starts when you cross the beem. Make a mental check list and plan before you run. Going step to step will help with the nerves. Have fun and report your et's :beer:.

Users who are viewing this thread