Stupid turbos

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
So my buddy has an 01 impala, 3.8 v6, four doors and all. And a built motor with a turbo, not sure which one, but ill try to get him to jump in here and elaborate a bit. A while back we were doin some freeway pulls just because a friend of ours was in town and we were bored, more than anything else.

Ive probably raced this car 25 times, and every time i yanked him real bad. Then we went to line up at about...40 or so, with me in second. Honked it off, and...there he went. Half car by 2-3 shift, then he pulled another couple cars in third, and all i managed to do by the top of third was stop his pull. Never pulled back. Fourth was going pretty much the same way.

He tells me for some reason his turbo made like 5 pounds more boost that run than on any other, and hes not sure why. All i know is my cobra lost to a family car :cuss: Guess its pulley time.

*Both cars had passengers. Mine was bigger than his ;)*

04cobra13

Established Member
i think i seen this car at a meet...silver 1?...and yes, do the pulley n tune. My car is a totally different beast with it....

Youkai

Established Member
Turbo's are fun and great power adders, but shouldn't he be worried that it made 5lbs more boost. If he's not tuned for it, he could blow the motor.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Turbo's are fun and great power adders, but shouldn't he be worried that it made 5lbs more boost. If he's not tuned for it, he could blow the motor.

No...should be worried about the gas in it. I have one tune...I just turn a nob to turn up the boost. Over 15 PSI and I like to add torco just to be safe 20 psi is strait race gas for me. Same tune. Sounds like he may have boost creep....does he have an EBC?

Stangfreek

Premium Unleaded Member
Established Member
Note to turbo newbs and/or people who didn't do enough research before building a turbo car:

If you "all of a sudden" get 5 more pounds of boost, let out of the goddamn throttle and figure out what's going on before you blow a motor.

Christ.

That's all. :)

Blown02

Established Member
+1 stangfreak... u definitely shouldnt be in the throttle if ur getting 5 more psi.. was it much colder than usual?

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
It was cold, but id just raced him three previous times in the space of say, 15 minutes, and he was running something like 8-9 pounds all night. He does NOT have a cabin mounted boost controller or anything, just a knob under the hood. He said on that pull he was making like 13 pounds, not sure. And if any of you have gone to the fullerton meets the last couple months, its the same car youve seen ;)

*As it turns out, may be holding off on the pulley/tune. Dealer is telling me the ticking noise ive been hearing from the wheel well is injectors, doesnt make much sense to me, but maybe they just dont want to fix it while im still under warranty? *

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
No...should be worried about the gas in it. I have one tune...I just turn a nob to turn up the boost. Over 15 PSI and I like to add torco just to be safe 20 psi is strait race gas for me. Same tune. Sounds like he may have boost creep....does he have an EBC?

Yep, Cal2 has a 91 and 100 octane tune.
Blower motors are funny about air fuel mixtures.
You can play pass the pistons if you're not careful.
Jeff

Droptop Snake

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Dealer is telling me the ticking noise ive been hearing from the wheel well is injectors, doesnt make much sense to me, but maybe they just dont want to fix it while im still under warranty? *

That's what I'm thinking. Have them put their diagnosis in writing on your paperwork. Maybe that might give you some ammo if your warranty expires conveniently before they discover the true cause of the ticking.

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
heh, warranty is good till next march, ill see if it gets any worse? Though they did do some extra work i didnt even know needed done, and were totally willing to help me out, so im inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, hell, they even got rid of 95% of my clunk! (turns out a bunch of IRS bushings were shot, they replaced em, i didnt even take it in for that. )

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
its not that i gained 5psi out of no where its called a boost leak. I lost 5psi. I just happend to get it back at the end of the night. and i know where the leak is. Kinda hard to explain and fix atm. if all a sudden i got 20psi then yes i would have got out of it. but its set for 14 or where 14 should be. and i had a really bad leak that i was just getting what the wastegate allowed which is 9psi. :(

Last edited:

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
oh and as for the psi pump gas thing my motor is 8:1 i will be just fine running 15 psi its all good :)

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
zzperformance.com z7 turbo kit (the big guns in the grand prix world)
t66 turbo, a2a, 65lbs injectors, lt1 MAF,man. boost controller, 3" exhaust
and the motor stuff
Forged diamond racing pistons 8:1 compression coated, l32 rods, arp head studs, connecting rods bolts. Clevite 77 bearings thru out the motor, stock cam, Meziere Electric Water Pump

i might be forgetting one or 2 things. ehh you get the idea

Users who are viewing this thread