Suggestions on first hand gun purchase.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
I've recently been getting back into hunting with my dad, and I have realized how much I missed shooting guns (used to earlier in life, kind of trailed off). I'm used to shooting rifles and shotguns, as my family has never owned a handgun before.

I turn 21 pretty soon, and I was looking into purchasing my first handgun. I'll lay down a few essentials:

- This will be my first handgun purchase, and so I want something that of course will be reliable. I've been looking at either the 9MM or a .45, not sure which one though.

- I will eventually be obtaining my Concealed Permit, but as of this purchase, this will be a more go to the range and have fun gun. This gun will not be used for concealed carry.

- I realize that any handgun will cost money, but I'm not looking to break the bank (looking to spend at a MAX $400-$500)

So SVTP, any suggestions? :beer:

TClark22

Established Member
For your price range, your gonna have to look at the cheap plastic guns.

I was going to suggest a 1911 but good luck finding a nice one for under 500 bux

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again, Glock 19. It's going be my next pistol.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
For your price range, your gonna have to look at the cheap plastic guns.

I was going to suggest a 1911 but good luck finding a nice one for under 500 bux

+1 on the 1911. A .45 Kimber 1911 was my first handgun. Check out the Springfield XD line up, I like how they feel over Glocks. They're closer to your budget.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
+1 on the 1911. A .45 Kimber 1911 was my first handgun. Check out the Springfield XD line up, I like how they feel over Glocks. They're closer to your budget.

Another proud Springfield XD owner here. I love my XD40. I handled several different handguns when I was looking to purchase and it just felt the best in my hands.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
springfield XD nice guns and youll find them in your price range. If you dont mind a used one you can hunt around and find one.

Redfire03

Established Member
I really hate threads like this. So many things determine what is the "right" gun for you. All of the guns listed above are great, but here is the best advice you will get.

Go to the gun store and see which one fits in your hand best. Glock, Springfield and Smith and Wesson are all great choices, you cant go wrong with any of them. All have distinct shapes, weights, etc so they will feel different in everyones hand.

I would highly suggest getting a 9mm over any other caliber. The main reason I suggest 9mm is because it is your first gun, 9mm is much cheaper than .40 or .45. Since this is your first gun I highly suggest you practice with it as much as possible. I also suggest getting a full-size over a compact because it will be easier to shoot.

UncleAnt

Established Member
Another glock 19 vote. 400$ used all day

And don't get a .40/.45 for your first gun it's more expensive and if you are just going to the range with it my spend the extra Money

*looks like I got treed

clbailey

Established Member
My first purchased handgun was a Beretta PX4 Storm .40. Absolutely love it. Comes in 9,40,45 Full Sizes and a 9, and 40 Sub-Compact. Also has different versions with and without the safety/takedown which has a higher lb trigger pull.

18153.jpg

crew_dawg16

Established Member
XDm. 40 owner here, love it. Extremely accurate and super reliable.

On a side note, LOL at the 1911 suggestions for a reliable gun!

SCMOKN

Established Member
My suggestion is go to a range that has rentals. See which ones feel the best to you and then rent the ones you like and take them on the range.

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
Like others have said both Glock and Springfield are great guns that go bang all the time and will shoot any ammo you put through them a 9mm is a great starter gun and ammo is cheep. I suggest going to a range that has rental guns to get a good feel for what fits you best. I have 2 Springfields and they have treated me well so far and they are easy to clean and field strip for a beginner IMHO.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
When I used to work at a hunting/fishing pro shop we got this question a lot. The best was when one of the guys I worked with would pickup a revolver and say here take a look at this one, it fits in your mouth perfectly! The looks on the customer's face after that were epic...

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
Thanks for the prompt replies everybody.

I know that I will end up going to a range and renting different guns, as everyone likes/hates each gun differently.

I really like the Glock 19 after looking up review videos on it, as well as the Springfield XDs.

Users who are viewing this thread