supercharger coolant what do you recomend

Crusher9008

Established Member
Ok i'm replacing my H/E and Also going to go with the fuel cell style I/C res tank. I was wondering what people recomend for the coolant? I have heard some people say go with the Ford Gold coolant and some people say go wtiht he Royal purple. Does any one work better then the other? Also is there anything I should look out for when doing this swap. (somethign I heard about the pump not working in the S/C if air gets in it?

mach1033

Established Member
Stick with stock coolant. Unless royal purple changed there purple ice formula most guys have stood away from it due to flaking. Jimmysidcarr who is a mod on here can give you better info on it. He works for them.

Crusher9008

Established Member
Stick with stock coolant. Unless royal purple changed there purple ice formula most guys have stood away from it due to flaking. Jimmysidcarr who is a mod on here can give you better info on it. He works for them.

Thank you much man.. I figured so.. I just wanted to make sure... Thanks again...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Unlike some of the competing coolant heat transfer improvement products Purple Ice is a relatively new formula that uses current state of the art water wetting chemistry and the most current corrosion inhibitor technology. It will not produce flaking. However the Ford Gold antifreeze water mixture when spilled or spewed on external under hood surfaces makes a nasty white crusty mess when it drys that is flaky. UGH.. ask me how I know! LOL!
http://www.royalpurple.com/product-categories/automotive/#!purple-ice-radiator-coolant-additive

However Purple Ice is not an antifreeze or an antifreeze substitute. It offers zero freeze protection and also does not raise the boiling point of water like antifreeze does. If your region is subject to freezing temperatures use the appropriate minimum percentage of antifreeze in your coolant mixture. There is a chart on the back of most antifreeze bottles to help determine this.

Better heat transfer = better cooling and Purple Ice will give better heat transfer even with the standard 50/50 water antifreeze mix. Typically between 4 and 8 degrees.

By increasing the water percentage in the mix even better transfer can be obtained.

For race track straight water usage or very high water percentage usage we recommend not using distilled or de-ionized water.
Antifreeze will pacify the more aggressively corroding distilled water so it's not a significant issue with a 50/50 mix.

Purple Ice dosing with a 50/50 water/antifreeze mix is approximately 1 ounce per quart.
Purple Ice dosing with a straight water/Purple Ice mix is approximately 2 ounces per quart.
Purple Ice dosing with a 70 to 90 percent water/antifreeze mix is approximately 1.5 ounces per quart. This mixture will greatly benefit from the less corrosive generic bottled filtered drinking water that we also recommend with the racing straight water systems.
Purple Ice (part #01600, 12- oz bottle) also dissipates with time and usage and a new dose should be added annually to the existing mixture. No flush or new mixture is needed just a refresh of the Purple Ice dose.

These cars are getting old.
If your I/C pump is not new I recommend taking it apart and cleaning it and also making sure the connections are tight and not corroded.

Coolant mixtures that are of an unknown age are a huge corrosion risk. Heater cores, intercooler cores, heat exchangers and radiators are all made of soft expensive aluminum. Compare the price of a coolant flush and renew to the labor and parts price of replacing any of the above and you have your justification to updating your coolant mixtures ASAP if needed.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Is this correct Jimmy I got 3 gallons of Ford.brand coolant al the same kind.
1whole.gal for.the he I got.the dual pas.Arco plus the killer chiller am installing also.
and 2 gals.for the motor.new no water whatsoever in it maybe just in the heater core

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is this correct Jimmy I got 3 gallons of Ford.brand coolant al the same kind.
1whole.gal for.the he I got.the dual pas.Arco plus the killer chiller am installing also.
and 2 gals.for the motor.new no water whatsoever in it maybe just in the heater core

In Louisiana you can use less than 50% antifreeze and probably 20% would be a good mix for you.

The intercooler system is quite small so it is very easy to over dose it. Plus when flushed with straight water the intercooler under the blower can't be drained effectively. Try to find out what the new coolant capacity is of your new I/C system minus the I/C under the blower. Drain it and measure what you have. If you then install a 50/50 mix the extra water in the I/C will probably put you right near where you want to be.

If you do go ahead with higher water percentages than 50/50 please use some kind of corrosion help for the coolant, if you don't want to use Purple Ice at least use something.... or else just stay 50/50.

Crusher9008

Established Member
Good info Jimmy... Thanks

I think I'm going to install the new H/E and res. Fill it with what ever and take it straight to the dealer to have flush and fill both systems. Put both at 50/50 since i live in the grand ol state of Michigan. I might look into adding Royal Purple to the system afterwords.....

Users who are viewing this thread