Supercharging My 01

52merc

Established Member
I know, another one of these threads.

After owning my car since new, I have finally decided to consider adding a centrifugal supercharger. I know there are plenty of threads on this topic, and I've read lots of them which has led to as much confusion as clarity. Living in Canada has its challenges. Almost all the parts need to be shipped from the USA which can add considerably to the cost of a complete install. Every cross-border shipment can result in surprising additional costs. For this I'm budgeting the current market value of my car, CAD 13,000.

There is no local drag strip anymore. There is a nice new road course opening up shortly which I might consider trying out. For the most part the car is only good weather street driven for fun. The engine is currently still stock and runs great. Only has 78,000 km [ 48,500 mi] on the clock. My current goal would be aim for 420-450 hp, if possible, to keep the stock rods in the engine. No E85 around here and even 93 is only at certain gas stations, 91 being the most common premium.

I'm thinking either a Vortech V-2 E-trim tuner kit or a Procharger P-1SC kit. Both kits would have charge air coolers. Procharger offers a complete kit including a programmer and initial tune (I know that further tuning will most likely be needed). Vortech is only offering a tuner kit. Both systems seem to have pros and cons.

If I go with a tuner kit, I will need someone to remote tune the car. I'm open to suggestions for the tuner as there seems to be some good ones, and some bad. The choice of tuner will likely determine which programmer I need.

With tuner kits I will need to supply: injectors, fuel pump, programmer, and I'm sure other stuff. I need to put together a complete build plan before I start ordering parts.

Open to discussion and recommendations.

robvas

Established Member
Not familiar with the E trim

I would do a tuner kit either way because you want your own fuel system, blow off, MAF, intercooler(the Procharger one is fine), and tune

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the E trim self contained? I consider that a plus for the Procharger. Any of the good remote tuners (04sleeper, MalcolmV8) should be able to handle it.

I'd also advise going with a blow through MAF. It's a lot easier to tune.

52merc

Established Member
Not exactly sure what the E-trim is either. It is the only trim Vortech now offers for this application. No, it is not self-contained.

I'm currently leaning toward the Procharger kit since it would not involve relocating the battery, and does not use engine oil. My only concern with that would be underhood temperature with the air-to-air exchanger. It is much more expensive than the Vortech kit so that is a big disadvantage.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
vortech hasn't offered the e trim for years , they offer the sci oil fed blower. however, they will do a v3 self contained custom for us as well

shurur

Established Member
Is the E trim self contained? I consider that a plus for the Procharger. Any of the good remote tuners (04sleeper, MalcolmV8) should be able to handle it.

I'd also advise going with a blow through MAF. It's a lot easier to tune.
Is that also called a slotted maf?

I was going procharger until I got the NA bug. I also like the procharger for the self contained oiler.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that also called a slotted maf?

I was going procharger until I got the NA bug. I also like the procharger for the self contained oiler.
Slotted MAF is how the sensor itself is built. I don't know what the actual difference is. I've run the older tonsil style in draw through and blow through. Then I ran the slotted style in blow through. The signal from the slotted was pretty clean. It's what I recommend for anyone running a turbo or centri.

Users who are viewing this thread