Surround sound setup help!

Evenflow

Established Member
Hey all,

So I received my Sony HTSS360 surround sound system.

I've hooked up everything and triple checked to make sure the wires and everything were placed correctly

Problem: no audio is coming out of the center speaker, rear left, and rear right. When I set the receiver to "test" mode all the speakers function fine during their test, but when I try to watch TV only the front left and front right speaker work

anyone familiar with this set?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
how did you connect it? sounds like you've used a Stereo (red + white) connection which will only give you 2 channel stereo

Evenflow

Established Member
I got it working

Only had it set to 2ch in the receievr.

I used red+white and I am getting 5channel now

sounds absolutely sick for $300 very happy!

txyaloo

Established Member
I got it working

Only had it set to 2ch in the receievr.

I used red+white and I am getting 5channel now

sounds absolutely sick for $300 very happy!

Does your output source have a digital connection? You won't get true surround sound using the red/white connections. If the receiver and your tv/cable box has an optical coax connection, you can use the same cables and get much better sound.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Does your output source have a digital connection? You won't get true surround sound using the red/white connections. If the receiver and your tv/cable box has an optical coax connection, you can use the same cables and get much better sound.

this.

JasonSnake

Established Member

+4trillion

Evenflow

Established Member

What do you mean output source? The receiver?

How would I go about the coax connection? Just run a coax cable from the rec to the TV?

Evenflow

Established Member
So my receiver has a coax cable connect but my TV does not

instead, my tv has a OPTICAL audio out connection

same thing?

JasonSnake

Established Member
Sounds like you don't have a cable box. So yes, hooking up the optical out of the TV to your receiver will do the trick (if the receiver has an Optical In)

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
So my receiver has a coax cable connect but my TV does not

instead, my tv has a OPTICAL audio out connection

same thing?

You need to run a TOSLINK cable from the optical audio out on your tv to the optical audiio in on your receiver for your sound. Just like I said to do in your other thread. :p

Evenflow

Established Member
You need to run a TOSLINK cable from the optical audio out on your tv to the optical audiio in on your receiver for your sound. Just like I said to do in your other thread. :p

So its called a TOSLINK cable and not an optical cable? Is that all I need to do for the sound for TV? Everything else is HDMI

tv: samsung lnt4061F

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member

The receiver doesn't have an optical digital connection so a TOSLINK cable would be no good. It does have a digital coax connection.

In this case OP, coax is the same format as RCA. So your red/white cables will work. Without knowing your TV model, we can't tell you what's needed. By output source, I mean are you connecting straight to a TV, or do you have a cable or satellite box?

Evenflow

Established Member
The receiver doesn't have an optical digital connection so a TOSLINK cable would be no good. It does have a digital coax connection.

In this case OP, coax is the same format as RCA. So your red/white cables will work. Without knowing your TV model, we can't tell you what's needed. By output source, I mean are you connecting straight to a TV, or do you have a cable or satellite box?

The receiver does have an optical digital in connection.

So I would need an optical cable out from the TV into the receiver?

Here is the back of the receiver

51zI9XM8b-L.jpg

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Yes it does.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTSS360-channel-Theater-System/dp/tech-data/B001VKIE5Q/ref=de_a_smtd]Amazon.com: Sony HTSS360 5.1 channel Home Theater System (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread