Suspension Noise issue Please Help!

gio5oh

Established Member
So I'm lowered on H&R ss Springs and got B&M caster camber plates installed this weekend to align the front. When i got my car back from the alignment shop, the right (passenger side) is making a popping noise when i turn the steering wheel. Its like if the strut doesn't turn freely or the spring is popping into place. I have contacted H&M about this issue and the seam way to sure is not a defective part issue. could it be that something was not installed correctly. I have a 2014 Mustang GT

liter of cola

Established Member
Strut mounts... I've heard that the stock strut mounts can begin to make some noises when lowered on springs, switching to gt500 strut mounts is recomended when doing lowering springs.

Last edited:

gio5oh

Established Member
Strut mounts... I've heard that the stock strut mounts can begin to make some noises when lowered on springs, switching to gt500 strut mounts is recomended when doing lowering springs.

I'm not on stock mounts. I have J&M caster camber plates. As to my understanding the gt500 strut mounts are not adjustable. Again Im lowered on H&R super Sport Springs, and Got this noise after i got the Caster Camber Plates installed. Ive called J&M about the issue and there being hard about the fact that is a defective part. I'm wondering if the installed didnt install the sway bar right, or its an installation issue.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Had a friend that used them on his 2009 GT. I did the install for him and tightened everything to spec. they rattled/popped over potholes and uneven road surfaces... He returned them and the issue went away. Sorry to say, but those J&M plates are the source of your issue, you should return them and go to GT500 mounts at least, or better yet MM ones. JMO...

gio5oh

Established Member
Had a friend that used them on his 2009 GT. I did the install for him and tightened everything to spec. they rattled/popped over potholes and uneven road surfaces... He returned them and the issue went away. Sorry to say, but those J&M plates are the source of your issue, you should return them and go to GT500 mounts at least, or better yet MM ones. JMO...

Im not having any issues over potholes or uneven surface. The noise happens when i'm parking and turning the steering wheel. ive also noticed that the steering wheel alignment is off a little, its shifted to the left but the car seems to still go straight.

greenscobie86

Established Member
The shifted steering wheel issue would be fixed with an adjustable panhard bar. You need one of those to center the rear axle after lowering on an s197 platform. If you do some online research about those plates youll find some complaints about them being generally noisy, I had to deal with the same issues so just passing on my knowledge. J&M may have upped their quality over the years, but I don't know for sure.

gio5oh

Established Member
The shifted steering wheel issue would be fixed with an adjustable panhard bar. You need one of those to center the rear axle after lowering on an s197 platform. If you do some online research about those plates youll find some complaints about them being generally noisy, I had to deal with the same issues so just passing on my knowledge. J&M may have upped their quality over the years, but I don't know for sure.

The back part of the car is not an issue right now. i have pan hard bar and the back is aligned. The issue is on the front of the car, and its only on the passenger side.

gio5oh

Established Member
Anyone have any take on what it could be? Im kind of new to the forum. Anyone know someone i could ask on here?

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
I've heard J&M plates are noisy... But that's just what I've heard...

On the other hand, I'm also on H&R SS with Koni Adjs with Steeda HD Mounts and I have no issues

gio5oh

Established Member
I've heard J&M plates are noisy... But that's just what I've heard...

On the other hand, I'm also on H&R SS with Koni Adjs with Steeda HD Mounts and I have no issues

Yeah ive should of prob. gone with something better quality, but the noise im getting is not a low normal suspension noise. its pretty loud and it only happens on one side.

gio5oh

Established Member
Can you reproduce the noise while someone is putting an ear to the car?

Not quite sure i understood your question 100%, but your asking if i can reproduce the noise intentionally?..if that the question the answer is yes. That thing pops and sounds like is going to break every time i turn the wheel and the car is stopped or in minimum movement.

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you can reproduce it. Then ask a buddy to listen and track it down while you keep making it pop. That will be the fastest and most reliable way.

If he gets it to an area but can't quite tell, take a long thick screw driver and place it on different items then place an ear on the handle. When you find the item popping it will be evident as the sound wave travels up the screwdriver. I've done this many times.

Users who are viewing this thread