Suspension question

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
Non PP factory struts/shocks. Would there be any advantage to change to FRPP struts/shocks or Tokico D-spec struts/shocks? I will be changing out the springs and use the FRPP springs.
Any thoughts guys??

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I didn't order the PP for several reasons, but one was because I was considering coil overs. Might be an option for the OP as well.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I didn't order the PP for several reasons, but one was because I was considering coil overs. Might be an option for the OP as well.

I was at SEMA last week and the Eibach rep told me that they now have an adjustable coil-over setup for the 2013 GT500. I'm highly considering ordering it as this was one of the main reasons I didn't order the SVTPP to begin with.

(Anyone need a set of new FRPP springs? I paid $206 shipped from Summit and they are still in the original box and the tape hasn't even been cut open yet). Just shoot me a PM if you have an interest.

shelbysvt

Established Member
I was at SEMA last week and the Eibach rep told me that they now have an adjustable coil-over setup for the 2013 GT500. I'm highly considering ordering it as this was one of the main reasons I didn't order the SVTPP to begin with.

(Anyone need a set of new FRPP springs? I paid $206 shipped from Summit and they are still in the original box and the tape hasn't even been cut open yet). Just shoot me a PM if you have an interest.

Electronically adjustable?

shelbysvt

Established Member
Non PP factory struts/shocks. Would there be any advantage to change to FRPP struts/shocks or Tokico D-spec struts/shocks? I will be changing out the springs and use the FRPP springs.
Any thoughts guys??

No point changing to FRPP shocks. If you were to change to anything tokico would be best. If it were me though and I had a base car and was changing out the shocks I'd go coil overs. Koni's are very good. If you really have the money to spend I'd buy hydraulic koni's

rancid

Established Member
No point changing to FRPP shocks. If you were to change to anything tokico would be best. If it were me though and I had a base car and was changing out the shocks I'd go coil overs. Koni's are very good. If you really have the money to spend I'd buy hydraulic koni's

Agreed and exactly what I plan on doing when the time comes.

shelbysvt

Established Member
No. Manual adjustment, but far more adjustable than the SVTPP "on" or "off" settings.

ehhhh you can't beat the convience of doing it with the push of a button lol.

I don't know why the aftermarket doesn't make an electronic option. They have done it for the GTR with the exact same shocks and even the new viper which hasn't even hit the streets yet.

Pretty sure even the zl1 has an aftermarket adjustable system that uses the MR shocks.

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
The car will be used on the street only. No track days. 1/4 mile a couple of times only.
With my 2010, the talk was using the full FRPP suspension. Springs, struts, shocks, and sway bars. People liked that kit. Normally a strut that is meant to work with lowering springs will react differently then a stock strut with lowering springs. Often the stock struts will prematurely wear out when lowering springs are used. Since I will have the suspension all apart, now would be the time to do the struts also if there is a benefit. I will change out the sway bars also. I just want the car lower to the ground and handle better then stock.

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
I used the eibach R1 set up on my 2010. Great suspension. One problem. The shocks are inverted. I wanted to go with an 11.75 inch wide rim. On a stock shock, you need to remove the dust boot for clearance. R1 set up, the body of the shock is up top. There is no dust boot to remove. This reduced my clearance by almost 1/2 inch. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Shhhh

Established Member
If you plan on really tracking the car Id go with a base package Shelby. You can always build it the way you want. I personally went with the SVTPP because of the wheels and the electronic suspension is neat. If it was going to be a heavily tracked car I wouldnt have spent the money on it though.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

I don't see it on their website. :shrug:

Last edited:

Madlock

Established Member
The FR-3 pack for the '13 with adjustable dampers is tuned to work together to deliver a specific range of overall properties. Of course, the individual components can be used for each of their individual respective properties, but the outcome is likely to be very different than Ford Racing intended when used in-part.

Fortunately, Ford Racing did do some basic performance testing with the '13 SVTPP dual-mode dampers and established the result to be within expected results of the non-adjustable FR-3 dampers when used in Track Mode.

I've installed the 5300-L springs and 5490-B Sway Bars along with a Watts Link, billet/tubular control arms and relocation brackets and have been VERY pleased so far with the feeling of extra precision without the progressive rate springs introducing an undue compromise to ride quality. My goal was a VERY track friendly street car.

Though I can't judge the entire setup discretely from the Watts Link because I had them installed at the same time, I'd consider every aspect of the upgrades, from steering precision, launch bite, rear-end stability and stance to be an across-the-board improvement.

I keep wondering why FR doesn't develop in conjunction with Eibach and approved coil-over setup it can rebrand, or offer it as a premium feature option on the original car from the factory given the additional profit potential.

Users who are viewing this thread