SVO Mustangs??

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
I wanted a little info on the SVO Turbo Mustang. Horsepower, quarter mile, and any other useful info. Thanks

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I think the 84-85's had around 190hp. The 86's had 200hp. 1/4 mile times were around high 14's. About the same as stock 5.0's of the same year. Pain in the ass to maintain but cool cars and with some work can be made fast as hell.

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I think the 84-85's had around 190hp. The 86's had 200hp. 1/4 mile times were around high 14's. About the same as stock 5.0's of the same year. Pain in the ass to maintain but cool cars and with some work can be made fast as hell.

The one I am looking at is an 86. Its in pretty good shape.

orangesvtbb

Established Member
There was one in MM&FF a while back that was running 9's with the turbo 4 cylinder in it. It had a sticker on the back that had V8 with it x'ed out. That car was bad.

Steeltwo

Established Member
from my understanding and what my friend who is a mustang nut (owns a tt stang) the SVO was faster than the 5.0.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
it's possible the SVO was faster - alot lighter -
And with a little work they can be crazy fast - I'm sure ford retarded them a bit to stop them from being in competition with the GT

mustangjr

Banned
Steeltwo said:
from my understanding and what my friend who is a mustang nut (owns a tt stang) the SVO was faster than the 5.0.

That is a fact. The 5.0 of the day was about $3700 less than a svo but it did not have adjustable Koni shocks and four wheel vented disc brakes amoung many other things.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
mustangjr said:
That is a fact. The 5.0 of the day was about $3700 less than a svo but it did not have adjustable Koni shocks and four wheel vented disc brakes amoung many other things.

I've only driven one 86' SVO and my 87' felt quite a bit quicker when it was stock than that SVO did. The only thing I like about the SVO's is the 4-wheel disc brakes. 5-lug. And the seats are badass.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Poopnut is correct when he said they are a pain to maintain. I had a 86 for 9 years...when i was running right it was an absolute blast to drive and with the exhaust I had, sounded extremely cool too. Several people had to look under hood to conceed it was a four cyl.

Parts are becomeing more of an issue. Few parts interchange with sister mustangs and OEM stuff is getting pricey. Lincoln LSCs are good for a lot of parts for SVOs.

If you are on the SVOCA, word questions carefully until you are accepted in the family. Most are great guys and will go out of thier way to help out. Others will hand you your head in a heartbeat for little to no reason. Or for fun, ask about putting a SVO specific part on another type car :-D and let the fun begin :banana:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
BittenInBama said:
Poopnut is correct when he said they are a pain to maintain. I had a 86 for 9 years...when i was running right it was an absolute blast to drive and with the exhaust I had, sounded extremely cool too. Several people had to look under hood to conceed it was a four cyl.

Parts are becomeing more of an issue. Few parts interchange with sister mustangs and OEM stuff is getting pricey. Lincoln LSCs are good for a lot of parts for SVOs.

If you are on the SVOCA, word questions carefully until you are accepted in the family. Most are great guys and will go out of thier way to help out. Others will hand you your head in a heartbeat for little to no reason. Or for fun, ask about putting a SVO specific part on another type car :-D and let the fun begin :banana:

I got a good one....
"Hey I found an SVO that needs a repaint but i'm going to put the engine in my 1983 ltd instead"

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I have the ghetto version of the SVO. I have heard its just about as fast (same motor) and handles a little better than the SVO. :shrug: (BTW its a merkur XR4ti)

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I've only driven one 86' SVO and my 87' felt quite a bit quicker when it was stock than that SVO did. The only thing I like about the SVO's is the 4-wheel disc brakes. 5-lug. And the seats are badass.

The SVO's were faster than the same model year GT's. There not as fast as the 87-93 cars. :D

Users who are viewing this thread