SVT Contour 3L swap

derekdonet

Ok, so i'm reading all this stuff about the 3L swaps using a 2001+ escape or taurus engine...but what would make it the SVT again, because its essentially the higher compression that makes a contour the SVT right? So would you need to swap out the heads and do any machining of the intake or whatever? What would be the difference of that and boring out the 2.5 and replacing the pistons? I'm not a mechanic so don't judge me.

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
Go to contour.org and search 3L.....there are a million plus threads on them over their....this question gets asked all the time....not trying to be rude or anything but if you search and read you will find the answers you are looking for they have all been answered many many times over

crazyj0n

Established Member
A straight 3L swap has nothing 'svt' about it, but is generally the best route to go. You could go hybrid route and mate the svt heads to a 3.0 block, but if i remember right a straight 3.0 swap is best. Been awhile since I've looked into it, but you can look through the pages on this site its been covered thoroughly.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Ok, so i'm reading all this stuff about the 3L swaps using a 2001+ escape or taurus engine...but what would make it the SVT again, because its essentially the higher compression that makes a contour the SVT right? So would you need to swap out the heads and do any machining of the intake or whatever? What would be the difference of that and boring out the 2.5 and replacing the pistons? I'm not a mechanic so don't judge me.

The cams are definitely different, along with the timing chains. We did this swap in my friends Contour, the car had a bunch more low-end grunt/top end once it was all said and done. We swapped over a 3.0L escape block, bolted the old heads/cams to it and was done. While we were at it, with threw in a different torsen diff. This was probably the hardest engine swap I've done to date... it was cool, we drank ALOT of beer, but in the end it was a cool project.

We added some spark timing across the board, didn't really mess with the A/F hardly at all.. just a simple "boxed" tune more or less.

we DID have to weld-up 2 oil-passages ways on the block(where the heads mate with the block) but that was simple.

Check out the pics

DSC01713.JPG

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The cams are definitely different, along with the timing chains. We did this swap in my friends Contour, the car had a bunch more low-end grunt/top end once it was all said and done. We swapped over a 3.0L escape block, bolted the old heads/cams to it and was done. While we were at it, with threw in a different torsen diff. This was probably the hardest engine swap I've done to date... it was cool, we drank ALOT of beer, but in the end it was a cool project.

we DID have to weld-up 2 oil-passages ways on the block(where the heads mate with the block) but that was simple.

There isn't anything different with the timing chains, minus maybe a revision. And since you went the hybrid route, as I did years ago, that's why you had to fill the oil passages.

But to answer the OPs question, if you want to maintain the 'SVT-ness' in the CSVT, IMO, keep the manifold and cams, and have the heads PNP'ed.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
There isn't anything different with the timing chains, minus maybe a revision. And since you went the hybrid route, as I did years ago, that's why you had to fill the oil passages.

But to answer the OPs question, if you want to maintain the 'SVT-ness' in the CSVT, IMO, keep the manifold and cams, and have the heads PNP'ed.

The chains are different. SID297 was there helping with the swap and noticed it himself. Call it what you want, revision, update... they are different.

DSC01741.JPG

DSC01742.JPG

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The chains are different. SID297 was there helping with the swap and noticed it himself. Call it what you want, revision, update... they are different.

DSC01741.JPG

DSC01742.JPG
Different, yet not 'unique' to the SVT-ness of the Contour SVT. When I built mine, I 'upgraded' the chains as well, but again doesn't add to the 'SVT-flair.'

What made the Contour SVT different was the cams, the extrude honed intake, to include one of the head ports (IIRC), ECM tuning, lightened flywheel, and the suspension goodies.

brapple

Established Member
as most have said, it isn't only the compression that made the SVT engine different. include where the cams, injectors, compression, flywheel and PCM tune. I believe only the front struts where valved different and the SVT and different sway bars, also had larger front brakes. the y-pipe and main cat are all the same. the difference in the exhaust is the size and the quasi duals.

as for the timing chains, yes there is a difference. As noted it isn't unique to the SVT. there where "wide" and "narrow" chains, the later being in the 3L and maybe late model contour and cougars. one must match the timing components.

as noted only a hybrid, 3L block + 2.5L heads have oil passages that need to be filled.

most people that build a 3L use SVT cams, unless they don't want to mess with the timing.

loc0gring0

Established Member
i like the 3l cams way more then the svt cams.. plus if its 04+ 3l the cams are pretty close.. there putting out the same hp just the 3l gets the power a lot faster where the svt cams u have to wait till almost redline for all the power..

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member

We added some spark timing across the board, didn't really mess with the A/F hardly at all.. just a simple "boxed" tune more or less.

Check out the pics

DSC01713.JPG

Those are AWESOME pics. Nice job showing all the details of the swap.

I'm not a contour owner, but I am obsessed with finding ways to increase the displacement of pretty much any type of engine.

This is an interesting swap. I like that you kept the SVT heads and intake. I know there's been a lot of discussion about which heads to use, but it seems like a no brainer to keep the SVT intake. Or is it? Will the SVT intake work on the 3.0L heads?

Sweet.

Homer

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
When using the SVT Contour heads on the Escape block, or Taurus block, what does the compression ratio come out to be? Compared to using the heads that come on the 3.0L block? Is it higher than the stock 2.5L?

Are the pistons pretty much the same in any of the 3.0L blocks? For example, would you be able to get higher compression with the Escape block or the Taurus block, or vise versa?

Homer

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
When using the SVT Contour heads on the Escape block, or Taurus block, what does the compression ratio come out to be? Compared to using the heads that come on the 3.0L block? Is it higher than the stock 2.5L?

Are the pistons pretty much the same in any of the 3.0L blocks? For example, would you be able to get higher compression with the Escape block or the Taurus block, or vise versa?

Homer

If you go the hybrid route (2.5L Heads + 3.0L Short Block) and you leave it stock, I believe it comes out to ~11.5 to 1. Brapple will chime in with more specifics. Stock, IIRC the CSVT 2.5L is just a tick over 10-1. If you go the full 3.0L route, I think its just under 10-1.

Also, I believe all the VIN S motors (Duratec 3.0Ls) are the same

qbcsvt

Established Member
About the technicalities, I dont have a clue.

My 3L swap consisted of a full 3L from a Taurus. Ported Heads to match the Lower and Upper Intake Manifolds and SVT Cams, Valve Covers and thats pretty much it for the engine.

- amyn

Users who are viewing this thread