SVT Lightning GT500 Swap

JimIII@jdm

This is Don Carson's Lightning we swapped a GT500 engine into a few years back. Don's 1999 Lightning has our built Aluminum wet sump 5.4L engine shortblock with GT500 4v heads. We recently freshened up his engine after having lifted a head this spring. While Don's truck was in the shop we decided to go ahead and perform a couple of upgrades to the motor. We started off by replacing his pistons with some that we have been using in our Super Cobra Jet customers. These are Mahle Coated pistons that have a slightly higher compression ratio. Don's motor is now approximatley 9.5:1 up from about 8.5:1. We also put in a set of our Custom Grind Super Stock Camshafts and High pressure PAC springs. Don was originally running Ford GT stock Ford cams in the motor. For the most part that is all that changed internally.

Don's Supercharger is a 3.4L Whipple and was one of the early designs when that blower first came out for the GT500. So knowing the inlet elbow was upgraded for a Crusher in recent years we decided to go ahead and add that as well! This made for some mounting issues with the throttle body adapter we made and we are working on making a new one now. However we were able to get it to bolt up with some minor modification using an Accufab Lightning throttle body (need to go bigger!!) and hooked up his air intake we fabricated when we did the 4v swap. We are looking into a bigger MAF housing like the Cobra Jet Ford Racing 123mm or 140mm unit now. We also plan on swapping to the Slot style maf sensor. However before this is finished we decided to go ahead and see where the truck was at after the new motor!

We knew Don's truck was going to need more fuel delivery. Making nearly 760 RWHP before he was taxing the 255 l/hr fuel pumps. So we installed a set of Walboro 400 l/hr pumps which require some modification to our fuel pump hat to make them fit. We recently performed the same modification to Uncle Franks truck so we had a good idea of what we needed to do already. After we finalized the fuel pump upgrade we strapped the truck to the Dyno to see what it would make. Still fairly mild on the tuning, being this is just a break in set up the truck ended up yeilding out 869 RWHP and 839 lb/ft of TQ! This is over 100 RWHP upgrade from his previous setup! Don's truck has made a couple of high 9 sec runs in the 9.8-9.9 range. We hope to get him sub 9.50's now making him the Fastest Street Supercharged Lightning! We will see after we get the air intake and throttle body modifications finished! Looking to get some testing done before the end of the season!

Last edited:

2MCHPSI

Established Member
First off, I just wanted to say that is a really amazing build. You guys always put out incredible projects.

I also had a few questions. Do you have any videos of the truck (dyno, idle, track)?

What transmission is he running?

Were the numbers that he made and ran at the track on 93 oct. or race gas? (just wondering since you said fastest street Lightning).

Finally, being an owner of a 2000 Lightning, I was curious if you could give me a rough idea on how much it would cost to duplicate this build (gt500 motor, supercharger, fuel and exhaust system, tuning, and install)? including any custom work to be done to make the motor work. I am not in the market now to do so, but could always win the lottery, and would love to have a similiar set-up. If you have to, you can PM me the pricing info. Thanks.

00Whitey

Established Member
Way to go Jim, having had two L's that would be a blast !
Team JDM ftw !

JimIII@jdm

First off, I just wanted to say that is a really amazing build. You guys always put out incredible projects.

I also had a few questions. Do you have any videos of the truck (dyno, idle, track)?

What transmission is he running?

Were the numbers that he made and ran at the track on 93 oct. or race gas? (just wondering since you said fastest street Lightning).

Finally, being an owner of a 2000 Lightning, I was curious if you could give me a rough idea on how much it would cost to duplicate this build (gt500 motor, supercharger, fuel and exhaust system, tuning, and install)? including any custom work to be done to make the motor work. I am not in the market now to do so, but could always win the lottery, and would love to have a similiar set-up. If you have to, you can PM me the pricing info. Thanks.

Thanks, I don't have any videos of Don's truck from recent years but we should be doing some testing this week! Ill see if we can get any footage. We always run C16 race fuel in Don's truck when racing. He does have a 93 Octane Street tune that used to make around 650 RWHP before the new modifications. We have yet to put 93 in the truck after the new motor.

The cost involved in this is pretty heavy. The engine with all the covers, accessories, intake manifold and blower is approaching $30K. On top of that the Exhaust, Built Transmission, Fuel System, and supporting suspension mods to handle this power is probably another 10K +. Don has a lot more invested in this truck than that even because of the Roll cage, Racing seats, Bogart wheels, and all the racing expenses he's paid over the years. Anytime someone tells me they want to do this swap I tell them to go buy a GT500 and put a Whipple on it, in the end its cheaper! It can be done but man it is sure a ton of work!

Thanks again,

JimIII

JimIII@jdm

With a little tweaking of the tune it made 882 RWHP! We are taking it down to ATCO raceway this morning for a little test and tune at a track rental! Hope for some good ET's and traction!!

Users who are viewing this thread