SVT Power loss

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
Ok, so my 03 SVTf is having some issues..never had any problem with it before but now for some reason when I get up in the revs its like losing power somehow. between 4200-5400 it has no pick up, then it picks back up beyond 5600 but just not as strong as it was/should be. Its also starting to stumble alot more and bucks when power shifting. Any suggestions?

My guess's are as follows:

1- Possible IRMC failure coming soon! Which I want no parts of...expensive lil bastard.

2- MAF sensor going bad, not registering the air properly?

3- Possible coil or spark problem? I changed the plugs about a year and a half ago. And I've changed the fuel filter bout a year ago.

4- I dunno if it would have anything to do with it but maybe the throttle body is not opening correctly with the IRMC??

I dunno, those are just guess's. But any suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
nope, no CEL...have not had it scanned yet. but i did the in dash test and didn't get any error codes or whatever, so i really have no idea what else to do.

jasonpalamar

Established Member
How many miles are on your car? You didn't help us out at all with the description you gave. Does it studder in neutral or when your driving? Does it do it at WOT and just cruising.

9 out of 10 times, check your blugs and wires...

strictly6racing

Strictly6racing
Established Member
9 out of 10 times, check your blugs and wires...

X's 2! change your plugs and wires at least once a year...
if it is the IMRC's(unlikely) you would lose torque down low if stuck open. and if it is stuck shut you will lose top end horespower. i removed mine and had it tuned. and have no regrets.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
ok, it does miss a little bit at idle..and just average driving/shifting it kinda hesitates a little bit, then you can feel in in the seat while cruising, when i say feel it i mean you can feel it surging and sometimes a stumbling like it wants to bog down or cut off, then i'll depress the clutch and tap the gas a couple times and it'll even back out. but still has the surging at cruising speeds. At wide open throttle, it falls on its face between 4700-5300 or so, then picks back up once the IRMC opens up. but still never feels like it did a few months ago. it has 66,500k on it.

And for the guy that asked about the Foci being manual or not, ALL SVTf are 6speed manuals. The clutch is not slipping, I know what that feels like and sounds like. Its just acting really wierd. All i have done is a trubendz 2.5 magnaflo catback system, and an AEM SRI.

hey strictly, how'd you get away with removing your IRMC?? I thought that was like a required manifold on the stock SVT intake? Did you upgrade the entire manifold?

Im gonna get to looking at it this afternoon to check the wires/plugs/coils etc... I really have no idea how to explain it any better than i did above. My brother seems to think its a spark issue. But I think its more air delivery, or maybe as someone else stated that it was a possible clogged injector or something.

strictly6racing

Strictly6racing
Established Member
hey strictly, how'd you get away with removing your IRMC?? I thought that was like a required manifold on the stock SVT intake? Did you upgrade the entire manifold?

i just removed the intake took the IMRC butterflies out and welded up the holes on the outside. and while i was in there i did some porting. your tune has to be adjusted if you plan on removing the IMRC's. its not a bad idea if you ever plan on forced induction...

as for your car problem, im leaning towars a spark problem, but i cant be there to listen and here the car myself so i would start by replacing the plugs, wires, and coil pack. you need to do that anyway...
if you really think its a fuel issue try pouring a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank.

i miss my focus svt... :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread