SVT vs. Cobra "Snake" center caps

bbk03gt24

Established Member
i've heard rumors that the OE style "SVT" center caps do not fit aftermarket wheels sold by AmericanMuscle, etc., but was wondering whether any of you knew if the actual Cobra center caps with the snake emblem on them fit without any problems? To be specific, the following center caps: Ford Racing Cobra Mustang Center Cap - Large M-1096-CA - Free Shipping!

i am assuming that they both are the same exact size, but wanted to make sure since i am looking for a center cap that i can use that's not the AM center cap that comes directly with the wheels when you order them that i ultimately don't have to do any modification to in order to make fit w/ the new rims.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I emailed AM asking them if the Cobra R center caps would fit on their Black Chrome FR500's in place of the AM center caps. They replied that they will only fit Factory Wheels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

bbk03gt24

Established Member
I emailed AM asking them if the Cobra R center caps would fit on their Black Chrome FR500's in place of the AM center caps. They replied that they will only fit Factory Wheels.

i seem to be receiving the same type of feedback about them...

i can't be the only person that is having this issue right now am i? there has to be a place that we can buy some factory style 'SVT' or 'snake style' center caps that will fit AM's rims isn't there?

right now i'm thinking about buying some 'SVT' decals and then sticking them on top of the center caps that come w/ the wheels... doubt that they will stay on w/out eventually peeling off tho

anyone have an easy fix for this?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Are your center caps too big or small for the wheel? My saleen center caps are too small for my AM saleen wheel but with a little electrical tape on the back of the cap they stay in fine.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
too big - i wish that they were just too small bc the tape thing seems to be a pretty easy fix...

i am not really all that interested in having to grind the caps down w/ a dremel like i have heard some have done, especially considering that if i screw one of them up a replacement costs $50. i have heard that some ppl have purchased the backs of the caps that will fit and then cut off the OEM 'SVT' tops and put them together; the issue w/ that tho is the same as above, if i screw one of them up then i will have to buy a replacement for $50 lol

low whining

Established Member

I have the black chrome fr's and tried to get the afs center caps to work. Not going to happen!

bbk03gt24

Established Member
I have the black chrome fr's and tried to get the afs center caps to work. Not going to happen!

that sucks man... those are the exact rims that i ordered recently as well haha. when you say that it's not going to happen do you mean that it's not going to happen bc they are too small or too big? too big is what i am assuming, but just wanted to be sure.

Marc

Established Member
I ground mine down and then glued the cap over it. Its not hard to do. Just don't try to peal off all the glue off the back of the SVT Cap, you can easily mess the cap up as if you scratch the backside, it shows up on the front side...if you know what I mean. Its just a pain in the ass grinding them down, but you can't tell the difference from a stock one and a modified one if you do it right.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
what piece of the center cap is it that won't fit? i was under the impression that it was the backside of the cap. i was told by AM that the SVT caps were too big, which made me believe that the backside of the cap is too big for the hole in the wheel - not the front. In other words, the hole in the wheel isn't deep enough to hold the SVT cap in, correct? if i have to grind it down, then i am grinding the back side of it down or what?

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I used a little duct tape on mine....Electrical tape work fine as well!!

SVT_Cap1.jpg

SVT_Cap2.jpg

bbk03gt24

Established Member
I used a little duct tape on mine....Electrical tape work fine as well!!

SVT_Cap1.jpg

SVT_Cap2.jpg

hey man, were your caps originally too big or too small to fit on your wheels? if they were too big, i am assuming that you used the tape after you had ground your's down to get it to stay in there, right?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
too big - i wish that they were just too small bc the tape thing seems to be a pretty easy fix...

i am not really all that interested in having to grind the caps down w/ a dremel like i have heard some have done, especially considering that if i screw one of them up a replacement costs $50. i have heard that some ppl have purchased the backs of the caps that will fit and then cut off the OEM 'SVT' tops and put them together; the issue w/ that tho is the same as above, if i screw one of them up then i will have to buy a replacement for $50 lol
So a set of 4 will cost $200? That can't be right.

I bought my FR500s from Ford Racing and they came with the Cobra center cap. IIRC, they were $150 each. So for $100 each, I got 18" wheels and for $50 each, center caps. I should have bought extras.

Last edited:

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
Talking about this subject.....I just lost a center cap last night.

I have black chrome saleens that are AFS rims from American Muscle. The problem that i have is this.....

Caps fit fine in the center cap hole but the problem is the OEM style "SVT" caps clips on the back side of the center cap are to short or not long enough to clip into the rim. They seem like they are but really they arent.

The only way to solve the problem is to get the center caps that come with the rims that have deeper clips and order a set of gel overlays to put on the center caps. That is the only way to solve the problem. I have went through mult. style center caps with no luck yet.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I just looked on ebay and you can buy center cap stickers. They are 2.25in in diameter. Think that might work?

bbk03gt24

Established Member
Talking about this subject.....I just lost a center cap last night.

I have black chrome saleens that are AFS rims from American Muscle. The problem that i have is this.....

Caps fit fine in the center cap hole but the problem is the OEM style "SVT" caps clips on the back side of the center cap are to short or not long enough to clip into the rim. They seem like they are but really they arent.

The only way to solve the problem is to get the center caps that come with the rims that have deeper clips and order a set of gel overlays to put on the center caps. That is the only way to solve the problem. I have went through mult. style center caps with no luck yet.

where do we go to buy the gel overlays tho? i just received the rims in the mail from AM just the other day and i'm contemplating leaving the "AmericanMuscle" style center caps in there due to me not wanting to go through the trouble of dealing w/ issues like what you just described.

gel overlays over top of the center caps that do fit the rims doesn't sound like all that bad of an idea tho

Users who are viewing this thread