SVTFocus Top Speed Question????

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Can I get more Top-End out of my SVTFocus, without losing my little bit of torque????? After 120mph, it snails along.... (My top speep so far is only 135mph) But my main question is..... Can I get alittle more mid- to upper speeds with any type of mod???? Without losing my low-end??? If it sounds dumb, im sorry, but if you have some comments, please let me know....

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

btw, my only 2 mods are ,,, CAI, and Ported TB, (which helped this car alot!!) Thanx guys :beer:

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
Best way to gain all over is SCT and a good UDP(i suggest AF/X or Powders they are the 2 smallest), but a tuned in exhaust camgear might help a little too.

Example on my car(in sig) if I changed to SCT I should be in the 124-127whp/127-129wtq range and another 1-2whp and 2-3wtq if i moved to Powders pully(but it puts a nice strain on the alt vs. the AFX).

On top of the peak gains the whole powerband will both smooth out and have nice gains in it.

I dyno'd a Stock zx2 PCM and a FR PCM(still a very mild tune) back to back there was a 13HP and 13wtq gain at peak, and a gain of 15ft-lbs and 19hp @6000

Last edited:

Primaris

Established Member
Horsepower. Horsepower, frontal area, and drag are what determine top speed. The easiest to change is HP, well I guess you could duct tape the seams, remove mirrors and wipers.

Going from memory it will take about 10 HP for 5 mph more at 120ish.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Top speed scares me, I hope you have a controlled environment and good tires. Mine screams to 135 then putters to 145+ in 6th. Get her tuned to turn to 8K then you won't need to shift to 6th as early!! E-

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Well guys, that was 100% of the answers I was looking for. I know it sounded like a pretty dumb Thread but ill admit I do like to hit high speeds (yes, in a safe enviroment) I have a stretch of road (Rt. 51) about 6 to 8 miles long, with train tracks on my left, and a rock mountain on my right (not a house or pedestrain in sight) Im glad you guys took my Thread seriously, and you gave me Great posts (much appreciated) :)

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

6SpeedLover

Established Member
SilverSnake01 said:
why do u feel the need to go faster than 135...
Honestly, I dont have a logical answer for that. Great now you got me thinking:bash: OMG!!!! I CANT ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!! lol

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

HTPerformance

Smaller tires/wheels to help gearing, I got up to ~137mph at the end of a 5mi. track. Top speed is mostly HP, but torque helps too... (SC/Turbo FTW)

Primaris

Established Member
HTPerformance said:
Smaller tires/wheels to help gearing, I got up to ~137mph at the end of a 5mi. track. Top speed is mostly HP, but torque helps too... (SC/Turbo FTW)

Well yes and no. We will ignore the speedometer error since for this discussion it doesn’t matter. A smaller tire diameter will let you get to redline in 5th gear faster, but you will be going slower than redline in 5th with a larger tire. Now in 6th a stock car should not be able to go faster than in fifth. We just don’t have the hp for it. But, with the smaller tires you might be able to hit the same speed as in fifth.

How fast do you want to go?
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html
or
http://home.earthlink.net/~jonaa/topspeed.html

I believe the frontal area is 26.33 sq. ft. and
drag is 0.36

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Primaris said:
Well yes and no. We will ignore the speedometer error since for this discussion it doesn’t matter. A smaller tire diameter will let you get to redline in 5th gear faster, but you will be going slower than redline in 5th with a larger tire. Now in 6th a stock car should not be able to go faster than in fifth. We just don’t have the hp for it. But, with the smaller tires you might be able to hit the same speed as in fifth.

How fast do you want to go?
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html
or
http://home.earthlink.net/~jonaa/topspeed.html

I believe the frontal area is 26.33 sq. ft. and
drag is 0.36
I really appreciate the TopSpeed calculators bro, that is damn cool:rockon: It gives me a few ideas, I dont want you guys to think im some full fledged idiot lol.... Just looking for some hints on a bit more top end...And believe me I got more answers than I thought... This Forum can answer ANYTHING!!!!!:beer:

snake bite 03

6SpeedLover said:
Honestly, I dont have a logical answer for that. Great now you got me thinking:bash: OMG!!!! I CANT ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!! lol

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

Your goal should be getting to 135 faster..

6SpeedLover

Established Member
SilverSnake01 said:
Your goal should be getting to 135 faster..
That sums it up nicely, but I know the answer to that.... You give me your car lol... If I didnt just buy a new house, I would be in a Cobra right now!!!!! But wifey makes the calls around here (lmao)... If my car pay-ment gets close to the Mortgage pay-ment, she beats me..... She told me, if i told anyone that she beats me, it would get worse.... lol

JSSVT

Established Member
wow noone said anyone about the buttom of the car. if you get the wind under ur car to move alot faster that would help out a whole and that would be no modding the motor. plus it would be hard to make that wind guard.

good luck on the top speed.

6SpeedLover

Established Member
JSSVT said:
wow noone said anyone about the buttom of the car. if you get the wind under ur car to move alot faster that would help out a whole and that would be no modding the motor. plus it would be hard to make that wind guard.

good luck on the top speed.
Thanx for the post bro:pepper: :pepper: Thats a good answer... And thanx for the "Good Luck with top speed" comment:pepper:

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

natedog_1959

Established Member
I have a few more bolt-ons and maybe a smidge less weight. My top speed is 139-140. I kind of like the higher rev limiter/smaller tire diameter idea for 5th/6th gear pulls. I plan on getting both this winter spring. I haven't decided if I'm going SCT with FS or Predator with Turbo Tom. I am definitely going with the RT-615 in a 215/40/17 over the winter. Nate.

Users who are viewing this thread