SVTPP Wheels - Tire Shop Damaged Them

KRS

Established Member
I took my rear wheels (2011 SVTPP) into a local tire shop for new rear tires. I made a point of telling them I was very particular and concerned about the wheels getting marked up. When I picked up the wheels they both had chips in them. When I brought the chips to their attention, they told me the installer said that the damage was there when I dropped them off. That didn't last too long because I pulled out my phone and showed them pictures of the wheels that I took just before I dropped them off. Their current solution is to have the wheels touched up by a body shop. Any opinions or experience with this and can they be colour matched?

Last edited:

kwiksilver

Established Member
You are one of many that has had this shit happen to also.
Personally I wouldn't take my wheels to my local shop as his machines are way outdated and he has the hardest time with low profiles and anything wide.

Do a search on here for damaged wheels and a couple had theirs re-coated,looks good....but..it's shity when it happens to you.
Not too sure about the touch up part..might end up showing.
good luck.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Next time, go to the dealer. Believe it or not, they have a harder timing ducking out of liability for wheel damage than third party shops. Not to mention, they will have updated equipment to handle the vehicles they sell. In other words, if the dealership sells Shelbies, they'll have a wheel/tire machine that can deal with the wheels or at least be linked up with another dealership that can.

But yeah, they can be color matched. Just make sure to get it in writing that they are paying for it. Even better would be to leave the wheels with them and make them deal with it since they are the ones that caused the inconvenience. Why should you have to waste your time having to deal with their screwup?

I've gotten wheel damage from just about every place I've been except the dealerships! And what's so bad is that the damage came from supposedly reputable tire retailers; Goodyear, Firestone, Tire Kingdom, et. al. You would think those places would have it down pat!

Zemedici

Established Member
+1 on dealer tire machines. We just got one (to the effect of $15,000) that literally does 100% of the work for you. Has all sorts of sensors that determine where the rim is at according to the machine's arms, etc. Crazy piece of machinery.

I would demand new wheels. I had my brother's old tire store drop my wheel on its face right in front of me, onto his tools.

Needless to say I bought a wheel and they reimbursed me 100%

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
+1 on dealer tire machines. We just got one (to the effect of $15,000) that literally does 100% of the work for you. Has all sorts of sensors that determine where the rim is at according to the machine's arms, etc. Crazy piece of machinery.

I would demand new wheels. I had my brother's old tire store drop my wheel on its face right in front of me, onto his tools.

Needless to say I bought a wheel and they reimbursed me 100%

this.

i take mine to a shop that only does tires. they have a very expensive machine as well mounts it from the back so you dont even have to worry about front lip. but always always take photos before to show your wheels are flawless and check at shop afterwards

mavisky

Established Member
I no longer trust anyone but the highest end retailers with my wheels and tires. Took my old 95 GT to a local Kauffman tire and they botched it royally. Car was on 17x9 and 17x10.5 setup with 275's and 315's. They pulled off the following:

Right Rear - 315 mounted on 10.5" rim
Left Rear - 275 mounted on 10.5" rim
Right front - 315 mounted on 9" rim
Left front - tore sidewall of tire attempting to mount 275 on 9" rim

I was blown away by the incompetence. Now they made it right and discounted/replaced everything damaged, but it was still a pain in the ass getting it all fixed correctly.

Zemedici

Established Member
I no longer trust anyone but the highest end retailers with my wheels and tires. Took my old 95 GT to a local Kauffman tire and they botched it royally. Car was on 17x9 and 17x10.5 setup with 275's and 315's. They pulled off the following:

Right Rear - 315 mounted on 10.5" rim
Left Rear - 275 mounted on 10.5" rim
Right front - 315 mounted on 9" rim
Left front - tore sidewall of tire attempting to mount 275 on 9" rim

I was blown away by the incompetence. Now they made it right and discounted/replaced everything damaged, but it was still a pain in the ass getting it all fixed correctly.

what?! Which location was this?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The only issue with that is I've had dealers quote me about 200 a tire to mount and balance. I've come to the point where I'll accept a few chips now. After a few years some wheels will get some small chips from regular driving. When I first bought the car it really stressed me out, not so much now.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've had the "best" shops do my tire mounting. Explained to them before hand it had a specific tread pattern for inside/outside. Mounted it wrong the first time, had to take off the tire and mount again. Sure enough it scratched the wheel the second time, now that was irritating. They had all the best equipment and state of the art machines too. Usually if you argue before to guarantee not to scratch they will say take it someplace else or we'll try our best. I'm not paying close to 200 a tire at the dealer for a 5 minute job either.

KRS

Established Member
The shop is an apparently reputable Goodyear dealer. I really made a point with the counter person about damage. I also don't believe the damage is machine related, I think it's sloppy work.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware that my Ford Dealer had purchased a new high end tire machine that only has plastic contact the wheel. The Ford Dealer treats me like gold too.

I'll post some pictures, the damage isn't serious but the wheels were pristine.

The body shop plans to try to do blow-ins. I really have reservations about trying to touch them up. My feeling is a cash settlement and I will try and find a set of new take-offs. Does anyone know if the wheels are powder coated or painted?

Last edited:

KRS

Established Member
image.jpg

Three spokes are marked on one wheel.

Last edited:

KRS

Established Member
image.jpg

The other wheel has has two chips on the rim edge. These chips are the most evident when you look at the car.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I'm not paying close to 200 a tire at the dealer for a 5 minute job either.

What dealership in their right mind quoted $200/tire to mount them??? That can't possibly be correct! They want to charge $800 just to mount the tires???

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
KRS, if you can't resolve the issue via a fix that makes you happy, I have a complete set of '11/'12 factory Track Pack wheels/tires with ~400 miles on them (all original, TPMS sensors in place, etc). I didn't plan on selling them but I'm running '13/'14 base wheels/tires right now. Just know that I have them if you need an unmolested set. I'm ten minutes from the Lewiston-Queenston border.

KRS

Established Member
KRS, if you can't resolve the issue via a fix that makes you happy, I have a complete set of '11/'12 factory Track Pack wheels/tires with ~400 miles on them (all original, TPMS sensors in place, etc). I didn't plan on selling them but I'm running '13/'14 base wheels/tires right now. Just know that I have them if you need an unmolested set. I'm ten minutes from the Lewiston-Queenston border.

Much appreciated! PM me what you would be looking for on the wheel/tire set, if you don't mind.

I almost pushed the buy it now button on a set of new take-offs on eBay, I just had a couple of questions for the seller and before he responded someone else did the buy it now. I'm going to see a paint rep on Thursday morning, I don't think I will agree to a touch up.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I thought about when I take my rims in and plan on masking the entire rim with masking tape heavy enough to protect them but not enough to throw off the balance. There is a place around me that takes care of much more expensive cars (and rims )than mine. They've done some work for me before and honestly I can't tell where they even touched the rims when handling them.

KRS

Established Member
Just an update on my wheels, the tire shop went through their insurance company and purchased me two new wheels.

I'd just like to say a special thanks to Tob for offering me a set of wheels. It certainly gave me a piece of mind during the 6 months that it took to resolve he issue.

Imatk

Established Member
Wow 6 months... glad you got your wheels.

The last time I took my car in to get new TPMS sensors they didn't mess up the wheels... but they did manage to leave an old sensor in the tire which slammed around and broke the new sensor.

They had to pull the tire off again and put in a new sensor... some of the guys at those shops have NO training so you have to get lucky or find someone who really knows what they're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread