Swap time

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
:poke: i need to rebuild my motor so i decided it is a good time to collect the parts to bolt an eaton to it. i know i'll need C heads, the blower and a long list of little parts. does anybody have a really good list of every last little thing i need to convert my teksid block to being blown with the eaton? also i want to use the o3 04 cobra gauge cluster but remember hearing something other than the cluster needs to be changed out for it to work, anyone have an idea of what that entails so i can get everything i need. thank you all in adcance. i am open to all advice and suggestions but a complete swap parts list if what i'm really after. thanks

goat-ee

Established Member
:poke: i need to rebuild my motor so i decided it is a good time to collect the parts to bolt an eaton to it. i know i'll need C heads, the blower and a long list of little parts. does anybody have a really good list of every last little thing i need to convert my teksid block to being blown with the eaton? also i want to use the o3 04 cobra gauge cluster but remember hearing something other than the cluster needs to be changed out for it to work, anyone have an idea of what that entails so i can get everything i need. thank you all in adcance. i am open to all advice and suggestions but a complete swap parts list if what i'm really after. thanks

Hit the search button, but I am shocked it's not in the How-To section above!! Looks like it's up to you!! There is a C-Head swap in the How-To above and pretty sure an Eaton swap How-To in the 99/01 section.

crazycarlo

Established Member
This should be most of it minus the C-head stuff.

(6312) Crank pulley /Harmonic Balancer
(6312B) Supercharger Crank drive pulley
(8678A) Pulley w/mount Replaces stk. alt. Pulley on 99-01 Cobra’s and 03/04 Mach 1’s
(6B209B) Pulley bridge assembly for S.C. (bracket, 2 idlers, tensioner)
(8678B) Idler pulley,timing cover pass. side
pulley, timing cover drivers side
(6D080) Timing cover
(10A313) Upper alternator bracket
(10153) Lower alternator bracket
(10346) Alternator
1U2Z-14S411-TA Electrical connector (alt. to harmness )
(6B209A) Tensioner on timing cover
(8260) Radiator hose
(8A593) Radiator hose
(8K576) Radiator hose
(8548) Water cross over pipe
(6881) Cobra oil cooler adapter
(6A642) Cobra Oil cooler
(9002) Cobra fuel tank
(9H307) Cobra fuel pump
(6F066) Eaton supercharger
(9424) Lower intake
(6K775) Garrett factory intercooler
3U2Z-14S411-SSA IAT2 sensor connector
(9H308A) Intercooler hard lines that hug the block
(9N491A) Intercooler hard lines that come from the h/e
(9L443A) Intercooler line that goes from the i/c adapter to i/c res.
(9L443B) Intercooler line that goes from the i/c adapter to the hard lines that hug the block
(9L443C) Intercooler line that goes from the hard line against the block to i/c pump
(9L443D) Intercooler line that goes from hard line to hard line
(9L443E) Intercooler line that goes from hard line from h/e to i/c pump
(9L443F) Intercooler line that goes from hard line and connects to h/e
(9L443G) Intercooler line that goes from hard line and connects to h/e
(8501) Ford / Bosche water pump for intercooler
(8N500) Intercooler pump bracket
(8K226) Factory heat exchanger
(8A193) Heat exchanger mounting bracket
(8C386) 2each bracket clamps for h/e
(9N491B) Lower manifold to intercooler water adapter
(9A589) Plenum
DELETED TB SAME AS MACH
(9B659) Intake tube from maf to t/b.
(9F715) IAC valve
(9F593) Injectors
(6F089) Boost bypass actuator
(9A825) Cruise control cable
(9A758) Throttle cable
(9728) Throttle and cruise control cable mounting bracket
(12B579) MAF
(9D475) EGR valve
(9D477) EGR tube
(6C324) PCV tubing
(9F479) Sensor on the back of the S/C
(9J432) Bracket for vacuum stuff on left side of the S/C
(9H465) Vacuum stuff
(9J459) Vacuum stuff
(9J460) Vacuum stuff
(9E498) Hose's or tube cluster of connectors for the vacuum parts above
(9F670) IAC gasket
(6020) Timing cover gasket LH side
(6020) Timing cover gasket middle
(6020) Timing cover gasket RH side
(9H486) Intercooler to S.C. gasket
(9L437) Plenum to S/C gasket
(9D476) EGR gasket
ADDED:
Power steering resevoir bracket.
I/C resivoir tank
i/c pigtail
S/C 8 rib belt
inner acc. belt.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
you guys rock. do i just need to buy an 03 04 interior harness to splice into the current harness for the 03 guage cluster to work with my stock 96 dash?

The 98- instrument clusters have discrete gauges that get thier information straight from the sensors. The 99+ instrument clusters are microprocessor based. The cluster microprocessor controls all of the gauges. The microprocessor in the cluster reads some of the sensors, but gets a lot of information via the CAN bus from the PCM (eg. vehicle speed and RPM). The 99+ clusters will not work with 98- PCMs.

crazycarlo

Established Member
OP here is how it goes. You can do the swap and keep the 98 cluster and comp...or you can switch to the 03 cluster but if you do that you will need an 03 computer also.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
great info, thanks everyone. i'm looking to get a set of C heads right now so if that goes as planned i think i'll have those bolted onto my car for now so i can drive it and then collect all these little parts for a full rebuild.

also, i put a 96 cobra Sean Hyland Performance water pump on my car. will i be able to use this with the eaton?

the biggest issue i've run into is i want to keep the teksid and most write ups i read are for full engines. does anyone know of any parts i would need aside from the above listed if i am doing a C head swap and deleting the smog equipment and a/c with the eaton? that's where it gets a little mirky for me. . .

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
if you swap to c-heads you will also need either a 99-2001 or mach 1 manifold. The B manifold will not work.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If you want to use an 03/04 Cobra lower intake manifold, you will need to grind off the knock sensor bosses and some metal tabs in the valley of the Teksid block. You will also need a lower profile elbow for the PCV hose on the bottom of the manifold.

Here is some more detail: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/TeksidTerminator/BlockWork/BlockWork.htm

Here is a writeup about all that I have done for my Teksid Terminator build so far: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/TeksidTerminator/TeksidTerminator.htm

crazycarlo

Established Member
Mwolson i didnt know that was your writeup...Ive been looking at it for a while and saving it for if i ever decide to do my swap haha. Small world lol.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
If you want to use an 03/04 Cobra lower intake manifold, you will need to grind off the knock sensor bosses and some metal tabs in the valley of the Teksid block. You will also need a lower profile elbow for the PCV hose on the bottom of the manifold.

Here is some more detail: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/TeksidTerminator/BlockWork/BlockWork.htm

Here is a writeup about all that I have done for my Teksid Terminator build so far: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/TeksidTerminator/TeksidTerminator.htm

this is exactly what i was looking from, a write up from someone else doing what i want to do, thank you so much. if i run into any problems i hope you don't mind if i pm you.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
No problem PMing me. Although my project is currently on the backburner as I work with my son on my his 88 CRX resto-mod and forged 2.0L GSR build. That and I am still working on the gauge upgrade circuit and a couple of other projects. Don't expect any build progress for a while. :)

90FoX

Established Member
Not sure of the specifics, but I think it's worth mentioning that certain c-heads had 3-4 threads for the spark plugs. Revised c-head have 7-8 threads iirc. It would be better to get the revised c-heads.

Wasn't sure if you knew this, if you do great. If not, maybe you will decide to get the better c-heads.

Good luck with the swap. I hope to do this one day when I get some more $$ :bash:

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
Not sure of the specifics, but I think it's worth mentioning that certain c-heads had 3-4 threads for the spark plugs. Revised c-head have 7-8 threads iirc. It would be better to get the revised c-heads.

Wasn't sure if you knew this, if you do great. If not, maybe you will decide to get the better c-heads.

Good luck with the swap. I hope to do this one day when I get some more $$ :bash:

i have heard this, i was also told the revised (04?) were marked with blue paint somewhere. i am about to send the money today for a set of ported C heads so in the case they have fewer threads than the revised can the threads be re-tapped deeper or is it one of those "it is what is is" situations?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If it is the 3-4 thread version, you can either live with it or install inserts. These get really good reviews: Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts

They are approved by Ford for spark plug thread repair.

If you live with it, I'd only change them when cold and I'd use Ford anti-seize compound. I use a torque wrench, too.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
so i pulled the trigger on a pair of 01 cobra C heads that have been ported. i'm sure i'll have to do the flow through cooling mod and the spark plug thread extensions but what else? i've been told the B head cams were slightly more agressive so i'll throw those in there. i've been doing my homework but i am no expert. is there something else i need to do to prep these ported o1 C heads with B cams for the eaton swap?

Users who are viewing this thread