Swap your SRA from your beater?

jlbush

Established Member
To give you a little background: I have an 03 Cobra with 8k miles and the rear differential is leaking and it's gonna cost me about $300 dollars after it's all said and done to get a new cover up there and seal it ($215 LPW cover, $45 in gear oil, and $65 for install)...However, my thought is I have an 02GT which is my beater car now and I would love to eventually put an SRA into the Cobra (for both weight and launching/no wheel hop).

So, my first question is how much do you think I would look to spend at beefing up my GT SRA if I'm going to eventually shoot for 600 rwhp? (KB 2.6 @ 15-17lbs)...Just so you know I want to obviously go the cheapest route, but only have to do it once and don't want or need a ton of overkill. I'm not going to be going to the drag strip really and even if I do I'm not going to be doing 4K-6K launches. Mainly a street car to have fun in.

Just not sure at what figure I'm looking at since I already have an SRA and don't know what I can get by with transferring over to the cobra and what HAS to be upgraded, of course axles, but to be honest that's the only thing I know that would have to be upgraded, however I know there is probably a laundry list of things I would have to change. Have 4.10s in the GT and stock 3.55s in the cobra and want to keep 3.55s in the cobra if/when I get the SRA. Can the gears be transfered or do they develop a certain "wear pattern" and are unusable after they have been in another car? What would be some reasonalbe estimates for the install as well?

MGC

Established Member
I'm not going to be going to the drag strip really and even if I do I'm not going to be doing 4K-6K launches. Mainly a street car to have fun in.

Because of this, I would say keep the IRS. Just fix the hop to prevent more broken covers, and if it hops, get out of it! Since you are having the cover fixed, it's easier to remove the whole IRS assembly, so throw some quality IRS bushings in there and you'll be good to go!

If it saw more use at the track then I would say build up the SRA.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
doesn't sound like you really need an SRA......not that you'd need one for 4-6k launches (cuz i've done those a few times on my car with ZERO issues...)

jlbush

Established Member
Because of this, I would say keep the IRS. Just fix the hop to prevent more broken covers, and if it hops, get out of it! Since you are having the cover fixed, it's easier to remove the whole IRS assembly, so throw some quality IRS bushings in there and you'll be good to go!

If it saw more use at the track then I would say build up the SRA.

The other big benefit would be the weight savings...I'm trying to put this pig on a diet especially since it's a vert! (I was willing to make that weight sacrifice though)...However, with that said any particular IRS bushings you would suggest? Thanks for the reply!

jlbush

Established Member
doesn't sound like you really need an SRA......not that you'd need one for 4-6k launches (cuz i've done those a few times on my car with ZERO issues...)

Yeah I don't NEED it for sure, but I'm not huge on the "ride quality" of the IRS and would really like the weight savings from it. Oh and the 4-6k launch comment was just so you know that I'm not going to be launching super hard on a slick and need some crazy 40 spline axles or something so that I didn't have too much overkill in the parts to keep the price down.

I guess it comes down to spend XXX amount on IRS stuff to prevent wheel hope and make it tough or spend XXXX amount on SRA that I already have + install, and pretty much have exactly what I want in terms of no wheel hop, better launching ABILITY, and less weight. I don't know what my figure would need to be to say "Okay, I'm going to stick with the IRS if it's over $$$", but that's what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for the reply don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the advice just want to explain what my wants/desires are for this car.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
The other big benefit would be the weight savings...I'm trying to put this pig on a diet especially since it's a vert! (I was willing to make that weight sacrifice though)...However, with that said any particular IRS bushings you would suggest? Thanks for the reply!

Full Tilt Boogie Racing for the bushings
Full Tilt Boogie Racing Shopping Cart

If I were you I would keep the IRS. Add Bruces full kit, do the LPW cover, reseal and you are set. If you are not going to do any drag racing you really don't need a SRA. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread