swapped rear ends....GT calipers & Cobra rotors = problem ???

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
OK so I had a 03 GT SRA under my car after I swapped out my donor cars IRS. That rear was too wide to get bigger tires under the car. So I swapped my 03 GT rear end for 96 Cobra rear end. Only difference I noticed was I got the larger Cobra rear rotors. So I kept my GT rear calipers so I wouldn't have to bleed the brakes thinking they were the same anyway.

So I get it altogether and the real caliper is hitting the outside of the rotor but only on one the drivers side. I'm sure I have slightly worn GT pads in there also.

What is causing it to hit the rotor ???? I took it all apart and double checked the slider pins weren't sticking and were lubed up properly, and everything was fine. I have done this tons of time no problem so are these parts not compatible ???

thanks

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I assumed the Cobra rear end had the proper caliper mounting brackets welded to it for the Cobra rotors. The calipers are the same from Cobra to GT right ???

svtcobralover

Established Member
you will probably either have to buy the cobra rackets or the easitest thing to do is buy GT rotors. I had to put Gt rotors on mine as well and there really isn't a big difference.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
the Cobra brake rotors are thicker because they are vented unlike the GT brakes. you need to screw the caliper back in like you are putting on new pads.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
the Cobra brake rotors are thicker because they are vented unlike the GT brakes. you need to screw the caliper back in like you are putting on new pads.

I got them on after screwing the caliper piston back in all the way plus my GT pads were slightly worn.

What do the Cobra caliper brackets look like ?

or can I just shim my calipers out some I don't want to spend $160 on caliper brackets.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
Its funny that you mentioned it i put the rotors on the car the other day because we are starting to get it back together and there was a ton of play with the gt rotors

did we miss something in the swap ????

where is there play at :??:

tt54l32v

Established Member
cobra and gt calipers are the same. and im pretty sure the brackets are the same. the diff is the bracket that mounts to the rear end that the caliper bracket bolts to and it requires removal of the axle to change.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
If I remember right the bracket that bolts around the axle tube has to be cobra specific. It'll actually say "COBRA R/H" and "COBRA L/H" (left and right) and the thicker brackets that bolt onto the side of the axle tube are cobra specific also. The calipers are the same from V6 to GT to Cobra.

Shangsta;
The play in the rotors is caused by the rotors not being pressed against the axle since the wheel isn't bolted up yet. Unless you're talking about a ridiculous amount of play.

Users who are viewing this thread