Swapping to C heads

xTomKx

Established Member
I am building a motor for my 96 Cobra and one of the guys at the shop has a very nice set of ported C heads he wants to sell me. Obviously the C heads require a different intake. What other parts would not be compatible?

Are there any gains from switching to C heads?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
The intake, fuel rails, and coolant crossover. You could do a crossover delete. There are gains, I'd use your cams and get them degree'd. I believe the 96 ones are better than 99+ but NA SVT would be a better resource on that.

Yes, you will see gains on C Heads.

xTomKx

Established Member
Can I use the stock 99+ fuel rails with 96 injectors? Will the 99+ fuel rails connect to the fuel system on the 96?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I want to say some mods to the fuel rail either way need to be done. I will like for the write up. But, there is a write up on here for a C swap. The injectors can be used.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
For the cost to go c heads and stay centri set up is not worth it now if you are na or want a big kennebell then c heads are worth it

nomoretickets

Established Member
The intake, fuel rails, and coolant crossover. You could do a crossover delete. There are gains, I'd use your cams and get them degree'd. I believe the 96 ones are better than 99+ but NA SVT would be a better resource on that.

Yes, you will see gains on C Heads.

96-98 intake cams are more aggressive than 99+ and will net you about +10 whp from what ive read. the exhaust cams are all about the same.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
When I did my C Head swap, I used my B cams and had NA SVT degree them. I have always heard the exhaust cams are about the same as well, its the intake cams that are good to go. I used a ported C lower intake and used my B upper intake via use of my adapter plates. Saved me from having to change cables, tubes, hoses etc. I have two plates available btw ;).

As far as fuel rails, I took my 98 rails and dremels the mounting tabs off. The I marked on my rails where the C lower holes were for rail mounting with a sharpie. I then welded my tabs back onto my rails at the new location. Disclaimer..... make sure theres no fuel in rail when you weld it lol. Headers are all the same for the 4V's

nomoretickets

Established Member
maybe someone can chime in and help me out, but it was always my impression that C-Heads generally outperform B-Heads whether N/A or FI. I know that the B-Heads flow more air, but everything I read tends to say that the better flow is offset by poor velocity, and the benefits arent realized unless you are pushing some big boost numbers through a sheetmetal intake.

What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread