Sway bar

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I know with adjustable endlinks you can fine tune for under or oversteer with the rear sway bar
My question is when someone sais tighten or loosin the sway bar
Im assumin its pushin the sway up or bringin it down
Is up tightening and vice versa?

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Well a tighter link is a shorter link. So loosening it would be making the link longer, or moving it up. That is assuming you have adjustable links

If it is a sway bar with multiple mounting holes on the ends, the the tighter ones would be the ones closest to the bar itself. Looser would be the very end holes

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I know with adjustable endlinks you can fine tune for under or oversteer with the rear sway bar
My question is when someone sais tighten or loosin the sway bar
Im assumin its pushin the sway up or bringin it down
Is up tightening and vice versa?

Adjustable sway bar end links allow you to 'neutralize' (by disconnecting the sway bar and then reattaching it in a neutral manner) the sway bar when you corner balance the vehicle if it's on coil-overs.

You would need an 'adjustable' sway bar with multiple positions (usually three) to mount the end link connection from the bar to the control arm/wheel.

As previous stated, moving the end link towards the end of the bar gives you more leverage on the bar which equates to loosening or softening the bar reducing the bar's 'rate'. Moving it away from the end of the bar gives it less leverage and stiffens the bar making it tighter and raising the bar's 'rate'.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I have adjustable endlinks( thanks bruce )
Have to get under there an look to see if the eibach sway bar has multiple holes

What characteristics will tightening or loosening have on the handling?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have adjustable endlinks( thanks bruce )
Have to get under there an look to see if the eibach sway bar has multiple holes

What characteristics will tightening or loosening have on the handling?

Can I assume you're talking front bar here?

Let say your car feels tight in a turn that you're pushing pretty hard. That would also be considered tight or understeer. You would want to soften the front sway bar position moving it to the end of the bar.

If the car felt loose that's oversteer when the ass end gets loose. You'd want to tighten of stiffen the front bar moving the end link mount away from the end of the bar.

Sometimes you need to push a car hard at an autocross or a track event to really get the feel for what it's doing and what sort of adjustments you need to make.

Sway bars are really for fine tuning. Chassis tuning should be done with spring rates. Fine tune with sway bar and tire pressures.

Hope that helps.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The Eibach rear bar is adjustable.

Carlos:

You are correct but I think the front bar is a little more popular. Maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously adjustments would be the opposite of what I posted for the front bar if you are adjusting a rear bar.

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos:

You are correct but I think the front bar is a little more popular. Maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously adjustments would be the opposite of what I posted for the front bar if you are adjusting a rear bar.

He mentions the rear bar in his first post.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
He mentions the rear bar in his first post.

Whoops! Yeah I think I saw that but it didn't say if the bar was adjustable or not. It sounded like he thought raising or lowering the stock bar was going to do something and clearly that won't do anything except hit the upper control arm if it's too high or the halfshaft if it's too low. The rear bar should be centered between the UCA and the halfshaft at ride height.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys
I have front and rear eibach bars, only the rear has adjustable endlinks

Out of curiousity Bruce your rear sway bay endlinks. Roughly how many miles should last before the heim joints get sloppy. Just regular street driving?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the tips guys
I have front and rear eibach bars, only the rear has adjustable endlinks

So I take it the rear bar is three position adjustabe? (I've never seen a rear Eibach bar)

Out of curiousity Bruce your rear sway bay endlinks. Roughly how many miles should last before the heim joints get sloppy. Just regular street driving?

Some of the earlier ones we tried had a relatively short life. They were sort of a gold anodized color. If you have those and they are worn out shoot me a PM and I'll get you some replacements at n/c.

If you have the clear zinc (silver) plated parts and they are showing wear, shoot me a PM and let me know when you bought them and we will take care of you. Or better yet if you can shoot a pic of it that would be even better.

LMK.

Users who are viewing this thread