Switch to Nitto NT555R

Breitling

Established Member
Hey guys, I think I'm going to switch out the rear Goodyears for some Nitto NT555R 305/35R20's on my stock PP wheels. Two questions:

1) Can someone confirm that the stock Goodyears have a 27.90" diameter?
2) If so, how much will my speedo be off with a taller tire? The Nittos are 28.58".

Thank you!

carguy19

Established Member
Hey guys, I think I'm going to switch out the rear Goodyears for some Nitto NT555R 305/35R20's on my stock PP wheels. Two questions:

1) Can someone confirm that the stock Goodyears have a 27.90" diameter?
2) If so, how much will my speedo be off with a taller tire? The Nittos are 28.58".

Thank you!

If you are going to mod your car at all or do different rear gears, get the Nitto NT05R instead. (315-30-20). Its a much better stickier tire. They arent great in the rain, but they are FAR superior in the dry.

Breitling

Established Member
If you are going to mod your car at all or do different rear gears, get the Nitto NT05R instead. (315-30-20). Its a much better stickier tire. They arent great in the rain, but they are FAR superior in the dry.

I'm still debating between the 555R and the NT05R. I like the fact that the 555R comes in a 305 width so that it doesn't stick out too far from the rim; however, I like that the NT05R is a much stickier tire. I need to make up my mind soon as warmer weather is around the corner...at least I think it is.

Ablaze

Established Member
I'm going with the 555Rs. I figure the rain is a possibility and I always have the NT05Rs as a backup option if I want more traction down the road. I read an article about the 2013 Super Snake running 10s on 555Rs which means it's good enough for me on the street right now.

carguy19

Established Member
I'm still debating between the 555R and the NT05R. I like the fact that the 555R comes in a 305 width so that it doesn't stick out too far from the rim; however, I like that the NT05R is a much stickier tire. I need to make up my mind soon as warmer weather is around the corner...at least I think it is.

The difference in the size of the tire is not really noticeable with the eye.

You are talking about 10mm. Look at a 10mm socket, the size of it across. Thats not something you can tell the size of by looking at it while on the car.

The difference of the 2 tires is night and day. Ive had both.

The one and only reason not to get the NT05R is if you have to drive the car daily and rain will be a weekly issue to deal with.

Aside from that, you should not hesitate to get the far superior NT05R over the 555R.

The 555's are only slightly better then the goodyears.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Have you considered the MT ET Street Radial II?
It comes in the 305 size you want and it is as good as or better then the NT05R for traction.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
:dw: You serious, Clark? :D

If that's the case, then I will go with the NT05R as my GT500 is only driven on nice days where rain would be a remote possibility.
I've run both also. 555R will last much longer. It won't hook as much, but it will be much better than stock and is the perfect combo between traction vs. longevity. Just my opinion.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
The 555's are only slightly better then the goodyears.

This statement couldn't be farther from the truth...assuming he means 555R's and not regular 555's.

In fact there is a thread on the other forum going on, one guy with experience running several different tires is claiming his 555R's grip better than his NT05R's on the street. Not sure what I think about that, but there is no doubt the 555R is an excellent tire. Works so well on my car, I was actually surprised...they grip much better than I thought they would.

My next set of tires I am going with NT05R 305/45-18 just because I dont see any rain and dont DD my car. Otherwise, the 555R rocks.

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I was able to cut low 1.9s on my 555R's with 700+rwhp... so they do work pretty well given what they are... One day ill find a car worth spending money on to garage my shelby and not drive her anyway :)

Would love some NT05R's

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure how you guys got great traction with 555r's, I'll never buy them again. When I was only making 455 rwhp, I would still spin in 2nd gear and they didn't last much more than 2k miles. Switched to r888's and at that hp I could sometimes hook in 1st gear and all the time in 2nd.

carguy19

Established Member
This statement couldn't be farther from the truth

Ive had both tires on my car and I do have a lot of mods, so the 555R's don't work much better then the GY stock tires for me.

I've also had the 305 MT ET Street II on my car also. Although they work almost as good as the NT05R, they wore out way faster and I still think the Nitto works better at the track. On the street the MT's and Nittos are similar when they are run at normal street pressures.

When pressured down, the Nitto is far superior in my opinion (my ET's say so too :D)

The NT05R has been the best tire for me so far. I am not speaking from reading tire reviews, I've had all 3 of these sets of tires on my car over the last 2 years.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This statement couldn't be farther from the truth...assuming he means 555R's and not regular 555's.

In fact there is a thread on the other forum going on, one guy with experience running several different tires is claiming his 555R's grip better than his NT05R's on the street. Not sure what I think about that, but there is no doubt the 555R is an excellent tire. Works so well on my car, I was actually surprised...they grip much better than I thought they would.

My next set of tires I am going with NT05R 305/45-18 just because I dont see any rain and dont DD my car. Otherwise, the 555R rocks.

That guys crazy, the NT05R is hands down better for dry traction. I've had both and it's significant.
As carguy19 mentioned, the NT05R is the best compromise on the street/strip. Rides/handles/wears better than the MT and equals it at the strip with the right low pressure.
All that said, the 305/35 555R fits our stock rim best and is the best street>strip tire.
I've also ran all 3.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive had both tires on my car and I do have a lot of mods, so the 555R's don't work much better then the GY stock tires for me.

I've also had the 305 MT ET Street II on my car also. Although they work almost as good as the NT05R, they wore out way faster and I still think the Nitto works better at the track. On the street the MT's and Nittos are similar when they are run at normal street pressures.

When pressured down, the Nitto is far superior in my opinion (my ET's say so too :D)

The NT05R has been the best tire for me so far. I am not speaking from reading tire reviews, I've had all 3 of these sets of tires on my car over the last 2 years.

Throw someGYs back on and you'll be begging for some 555R love :)
-J

Matt in Houston

Established Member
I'm not sure how you guys got great traction with 555r's, I'll never buy them again. When I was only making 455 rwhp, I would still spin in 2nd gear and they didn't last much more than 2k miles. Switched to r888's and at that hp I could sometimes hook in 1st gear and all the time in 2nd.

Only lasted 2k miles? Very strange, I've never heard of that. Maybe you got a bad batch? When it's warm out I can hook 2nd gear with over 700 rwhp and 4.10s if I roll into the throttle a bit.

R888s are a great tire but have a much stiffer sidewall which isnt beneficial for straight line traction but excellent in the twisties.

Last edited:

Matt in Houston

Established Member

Good info, I will be going with NT05R on my next set of wheels.

In my opinion though, my 555Rs kill the stock goodyears on the street. Much more traction, especially on a warm day. No comparison.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Only lasted 2k miles? Very strange, I've never heard of that. Maybe you got a bad batch? When it's warm out I can hook 2nd gear with over 700 rwhp and 4.10s if I roll into the throttle a bit.

R888s are a great tire but have a much stiffer sidewall which isnt beneficial for straight line traction but excellent in the twisties.

Yeah not sure, but I do know the r888's have worked much better. 1st gear is pretty worthless though.

Users who are viewing this thread