Switch to Nitto NT555R

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I had the 555R's on my 550rwhp Cobra.. 10-11k miles with around a 25-30 runs in them...

I have them on my Shelby (711/708) with a couple of track days... 4,000 miles and still look brand new...

I drove a car with NT05R and they were superior as said above.. but the guys I know that have them on DD here in Florida say they're damn near dangerous in the rain.. only reason I don't have them is because im on a DD.. but I just drove in a storm here in Tampa all day without any issues :) (the 555R).. the GY's are like trying to run on an ice rink in sneakers.

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
I bought the NT05R last year and used them for a whole season of racing. And surprisingly they are hardly worn at all. As other people said they are absolutely horrible in the rain. Just turning the car at some speed and you can feel the back end start to slide a bit. But for dry performance these tires are amazing!

RyanNGrindin

Established Member
And to answer your second question, my speedometer is off almost exponentially. I also went with a bit bigger tire than you are looking at though. I actually compared my speedometer to a GPS, and at 70 is was a bit less than 10 off, 50 was 5, and 30 was around 2 off.

Breitling

Established Member
Guys, thanks for all the input. With the varied responses on the ability/limitations of the NT555R's, I'll be contemplating this some more for sure. I suppose I'll research more posts as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think we exchanged a PM on this, you're probably best off with the 555Rs on the stock wheels to start. If you start modding more and spinning the 555Rs, you can always step up to the NT05Rs. If you're going to heavy mods right away, go NT05Rs but with 3.73s and mild mods, start 555Rs is my opinion.
-J

Breitling

Established Member
I think we exchanged a PM on this, you're probably best off with the 555Rs on the stock wheels to start. If you start modding more and spinning the 555Rs, you can always step up to the NT05Rs. If you're going to heavy mods right away, go NT05Rs but with 3.73s and mild mods, start 555Rs is my opinion.
-J

J - thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air on this as I hate to drop $750 on new rear tires only to be disappointed in their lack of grip when I roll into the throttle. I may just jump to the NT05Rs and call it a day. Decisions, decisions.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
You will definitely not be disappointed with the 555R's but either tire will perform well beyond your expectations, especially if you are used to the goodyears on the street. Just don't expect any miracles when its less than 60-65 degrees outside. The warmer the better. And as stated, the 555R's are the best bet if any wet conditions may arise. Tons of guys running these tires at 600-700+ rwhp with great results.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ktulu1984

Established Member
How well do the 555Rs really compare the MPSS? That's what I have on mine and I was able to pull a 1.89 60', but I am having trouble hooking up after that. I was launching around 2k and slipping the clutch with gradual increase in throttle. As soon as I was getting around 3/4 throttle, the tires would start to break loose. 1st and 2nd were not able to go full throttle, so I need tires that can handle 715hp/675tq but also be good as daily drivers, even in the rain. We also have a 2012 Suburban, but I like driving too much to leave the Shelby locked up, lol.

paluka21

Established Member
How well do the 555Rs really compare the MPSS? That's what I have on mine and I was able to pull a 1.89 60', but I am having trouble hooking up after that. I was launching around 2k and slipping the clutch with gradual increase in throttle. As soon as I was getting around 3/4 throttle, the tires would start to break loose. 1st and 2nd were not able to go full throttle, so I need tires that can handle 715hp/675tq but also be good as daily drivers, even in the rain. We also have a 2012 Suburban, but I like driving too much to leave the Shelby locked up, lol.

I ran the 305/35/18" version of these tires on a car that was over 700rwhp and much lighter than the Shelby, and they hooked decent. If I really heated them up at the track and ran the psi down to 13-14psi, I could pull a low 1.7 60', and probably better if I practiced. They're not as good in dry conditions as other tires I've ran, but I typically went back to these because I often drove my car to shows which were out of town, and I would run into rain storms occasionally. They held up just fine in the rain when they had most of their tread left, otherwise, you'd have to be extra cautious.

Breitling

Established Member
paluka - are you still on the stock Goodyears, or did you make a switch? If so, what tire did you go with?

paluka21

Established Member
paluka - are you still on the stock Goodyears, or did you make a switch? If so, what tire did you go with?

Stock Goodyears, but am ordering the NT555R's. My *only* hangup with these tires are their V speed rating, which is up to 149mph. Although I highly doubt I will ever need to go that fast unless I do a 1/2 mile event. What made me choose these? Past experience with a multitude of different tires, and the NT555R fitting my needs more so than most. I'm more of a cruiser and often drive out of town for car shows and events, and need a tire that I can drive in the rain with if I ever get caught in a storm. I also want something which will grip well off the line in the event I ever drag race again. This tire meets my requirements, although the new Mickey Thompson SS series of drag radial interest me as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
J - thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air on this as I hate to drop $750 on new rear tires only to be disappointed in their lack of grip when I roll into the throttle. I may just jump to the NT05Rs and call it a day. Decisions, decisions.

Have you ever driven a car regularly with drag radials? Do you do any high speed handling/turns?
If you've never had a DR on full time, I'd always recommend the 555R first, plus in this case it does fit the stock wheel better.
No worries on being hesitant before dropping the $$$, just know either will be a HUGE improvement in traction over GYs, so you won't go wrong with 555R, NT05R or R888s. Pretty much a must do with 3.73s and mild mods.
Good news if the 555Rs or R888s aren't enough, the tires wear quick and you'll be ready to upgrade soon anyway ;-)
-J

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
Comparing any of the street tires wether it be the good years or even mpss to the 555r or any drag radial is crazy talk. The 555r is decent in rain and by that i mean you can baby it home not blast down the road. If your set on drag radials and not a summer performance tire then you only have a few options. The 555r is the best daily driver out of the bunch but not compared to a summer performance tire.

Breitling

Established Member
Have you ever driven a car regularly with drag radials? Do you do any high speed handling/turns?
If you've never had a DR on full time, I'd always recommend the 555R first, plus in this case it does fit the stock wheel better.
No worries on being hesitant before dropping the $$$, just know either will be a HUGE improvement in traction over GYs, so you won't go wrong with 555R, NT05R or R888s. Pretty much a must do with 3.73s and mild mods.
Good news if the 555Rs or R888s aren't enough, the tires wear quick and you'll be ready to upgrade soon anyway ;-)
-J

Yeah, I had a '91 LX Coupe w/331 10:1 stroker motor and BFGoodrich drag radials that I drove around on. Pretty darn good traction and I loved them. I did caught in the rain a couple of times so I'm well aware of their bad behavior in wet conditions.

I really don't get into the high speed handling/turns that much. I'm probably more like paluka in that I like to cruise around, but I just don't want to go sideways when I roll into the throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread