T2R venting off oil

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Unless you're driving on track like your Mom, ;-) you will overheat the diff and puke fluid out without a cooler. Guaranteed.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

sleepless

Established Member
Sorry, I should have mentioned that yes, this is on the track, I drive faster than my mom :), and I have a cooler.

Yesterday was my second time at the track with the Cobra. The first time was a couple of weeks ago and at that time the diff temp got upto 250 and I got a nice oil spray on the rear bumper and I could see it was coming from the diff.

Since then we cut 4 large slots in the bumper to improve air flow and this time the temps got only to 220 (it was also 10 degrees warmer outside). But this time I smelled hot oil and noticed blue smoke in my mirror (it was a visible puff). After getting off the track a buddy told me it was definitely smoking consistently (meaning it didn't matter whether I was on the gas, shifting or braking; smoked all the time so it seemed to rule out the engine) for a couple of laps.

Looking at the exhaust pipes near the diff, it looks like oil from the diff hit the pipes and that caused the smoke. It seems like it must have belched a good amount this time.

We're installing a catch can before the next event (Nor-Cal Shelby at Thill in May).

I mainly wanted to see if this was normal or not on these cars.

BTW - is the oil fill level the same with the T2R vs stock? I'm wondering if it isn't also a bit overfilled...

Thanks guys! Love the Cobra on the track :)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Pete:

What gears are you running? Sounds like you may be running 4:10's? If you are, they generate more heat.

At what temp are you turning your cooler on? I found that if I wait until my diff gets up to 180 it then runs hot as you're experiencing. In the 250 range. If I get it turned on by 130 then it's more manageable.

Your heat exchanger may be too small, it may need a fan or more air? Not sure?

FWIW

sleepless

Established Member
Stock gearing.

Yes, I've read your posts about when to turn it on. I turn it on in the pits before entering the track. The temps at that point are roughly 130 to 160.

What temps do you see if you start it at 130?

Yesterday, mine was not going any higher than 220 which seems reasonable to me.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sleepless said:
Stock gearing.

Yes, I've read your posts about when to turn it on. I turn it on in the pits before entering the track. The temps at that point are roughly 130 to 160.

What temps do you see if you start it at 130?

Yesterday, mine was not going any higher than 220 which seems reasonable to me.

A lot of it obviously depends on two factors: #1 ambient temps and #2 the amount of Z06 Corvettes on the track at the time and the abilities of their drivers!! ;-) :poke:

If I catch the diff cooler and turn it on at about 130 or so I'll see 210-220. But if it's hot and I'm driving hard it will run up to 250 no matter when I turn it on. :(

I want to put in either a larger heat exchanger or an accumulation tank. I figured if I put in an accumulation tank I can install a drain on it with a fill tube. Then I can change out a quart or so of diff fluid when I do an oil change and eliminate the need to do a complete diff fluid change every year! :idea:

FWIW

b4409

Established Member
That's normal. It makes a mess all over the car too. All I did was buy a small breather from HRP in Peoria - Brian there put a long hose on it and I stuffed the existing short vent line into the hose attached to the breather. I ran the to a line running up and then back around a bumper support and zip tied it here and there. Problem solved. I think the volume of the long hose allows for plenty of expansion and the little breather filter has even remained dry though it's final height is probably lower than the top of the pumpkin.
Cheap, easy and effective for me with no holes drilled.

sleepless

Established Member
Well, we put the car on the lift today and figured out why it was smoking. It was not diff oil hitting the exhaust pipe, it was the gas tank's plastic outer shell melting from the head of the exhaust pipe.

It seems that under hard driving the pipe moved a bit and was close enough to the plastic covering to melt it. That also explains the odd smell at the track; it didn't quite smell like burning oil.

There was very little evidence of the diff venting off oil :) We're still going to put on a catch can or something like that on the diff.

Problem solved!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread