t56 clutch fork play???? video inside please let me know if this safe to drive???

jmoney2001

Established Member
I am trying to get ready for mustang week and a buddy heard this noise and told me its my input shaft about to go. Ive have also heard that this is a common issue. how bad is this??? Would i be able to drive 400 miles round trip for mustang week??? is this common like the drive-train slack

[video=youtube;sN_rVOSUhy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_rVOSUhy8[/video]

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
That's not normal at all and I wouldn't drive it like that.

The only thing I can think of is the fork has come off the pivot ball, can you shine a light in there and see if its still on the pivot ball? Its possible that it just came off or maybe the pivot ball back out and fell off.

Edit:
Input shafts break and the car wont move when you put it in gear, has nothing to do with the clutch fork flopping around like that. Also look at your TOB and make sure its still intact.

Last edited:

jmoney2001

Established Member
That's not normal at all and I wouldn't drive it like that.

The only thing I can think of is the fork has come off the pivot ball, can you shine a light in there and see if its still on the pivot ball? Its possible that it just came off or maybe the pivot ball back out and fell off.

Edit:
Input shafts break and the car wont move when you put it in gear, has nothing to do with the clutch fork flopping around like that. Also look at your TOB and make sure its still intact.

took better video

[video=youtube;EIY1l1z7HU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIY1l1z7HU8[/video]

Coxy

Established Member
I was going to agree with givens, and there could be those issues as well... But that second vid looks like the sleeve is broke? She's coming apart either way now though. Sorry buddy

jmoney2001

Established Member
It sucks already spent a lot of money on it already. I hope it's not input shaft that's loose. I guess Ian dropping tranny Saturday.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I was going to agree with givens, and there could be those issues as well... But that second vid looks like the sleeve is broke? She's coming apart either way now though. Sorry buddy

I'd have to agree after that second video TOB retainer sleeve, replace the TOB while your there. The input shaft wouldn't be able to move like that, there is a gear on the other end of that shaft. The tolerance on the input shaft is .005 I think, if it moved that much you would have had problems a long time ago.

Sorry man but glad you caught it now and not 200 miles from your house.

jmoney2001

Established Member
IMG_3144.JPGIMG_3142.JPG
yea turned out to be the tob sleeve. it snapped clear in half. i say if you were hearing a sound like a can of marbles rolling around in the transmission this would be your issue. fyi because when you open your transmission one of my shift forks came out of alignment??? it came off the alignment pin that keeps it all together. after a hours worth of messing with it i got it all aligned back up. this was defiantly a job to do on the ground with out a lift. input shaft not hurt transmission never shifted this good

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
This part should have been a recall...

I had gotten my replacrment back in 04 from a tremec rebuilder in dallas

my tube has a second sleeve that covers that spot where they break..

1st sleeve broke at 40k..im at 370k now on replacement

Users who are viewing this thread