T56 Magnum Tailshaft leak

HausCobra

Established Member
Anybody have any input. T56 magnum in my 04 cobra with barely any miles on it had a slight leak from tailshaft seal area. Had my guy look at it when doing tune ect... he discovered looked like leaking from yoke. He disassembled and welded the seems of the end cap and replaced the seal with a replacement from Ford. I got the car back and still leaking the same way? Anyone experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I'd look closer, clean it up w/brake cleaner so it drys fast, then follow the stain trail, might be a casting hole, or removed said new seal and replace again or look at yoke for signs of wear for the seal to rest.

580f72c5802b2e5b137a4a00aa35f056.jpg

That's a welded case leak from a casting hole

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I thought I read somewhere depending on the date of the magnum this was an issue with the housing you may want to call tremec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
I thought I read somewhere depending on the date of the magnum this was an issue with the housing you may want to call tremec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't confirm that its a housing issue but i have read of several people with brand new magnums that leaked out of the tail housing seal area. It made me nervous that my new $3000 T56 transmission would be a leaker.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I'd install a new seal w rtv and don't be sloppy but don't skimp, there's not much in that area

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thats where mine leaks too, I have an updated seal that has a metal backing on it but havent had time to swap them yet, Im hoping thats all it is. It was already installed in the car I bought so I dont have the paperwork on it or anything.

I still have the part number out in the garage, I got it from D&D who was very helpful with the part number (despite hearing otherwise about them)

Soap

Established Member
Looks like you need a new output shaft seal. Simple fix. I had to swap one on my OEM T-56.

--Joe

HausCobra

Established Member
Looks like you need a new output shaft seal. Simple fix. I had to swap one on my OEM T-56.

--Joe

Seems some early T56 Magnums had issue with fluid return. Pressure would build up in tail section and either leak or blow out seal while driving. Spoke to D&D they said tremec won't tell you this. I bought the seal with the metal flange that they recommend. Stays in tighter and forces fluid to return to trans. Said newer tremec a now have a 1/2 inch groove in Tail section that returns fluid back. We will see if that does the trick. Hope it works

HausCobra

Established Member
thats where mine leaks too, I have an updated seal that has a metal backing on it but havent had time to swap them yet, Im hoping thats all it is. It was already installed in the car I bought so I dont have the paperwork on it or anything.

I still have the part number out in the garage, I got it from D&D who was very helpful with the part number (despite hearing otherwise about them)

Thanks man I just purchased seal from them as well. Hope it does the trick

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

Thanks for tagging me in this the night I drove my car 150 miles across state lines, gave me more confidence in my magnum haha

Seems some early T56 Magnums had issue with fluid return. Pressure would build up in tail section and either leak or blow out seal while driving. Spoke to D&D they said tremec won't tell you this. I bought the seal with the metal flange that they recommend. Stays in tighter and forces fluid to return to trans. Said newer tremec a now have a 1/2 inch groove in Tail section that returns fluid back. We will see if that does the trick. Hope it works

This ^ is all correct, tremec sent me a new tailshaft housing which relocated the oil drainback hole directly behind the trans seal. I would call tremec, they will send you an incident report form which you put your trans serial # on. They'll tell you if your trans falls under the problem years or not.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the D&D item number is BB80, I cant find an actual part number on the seal. They put in a little fedex shrink wrap back and put it on a box for other parts...struck out there completely.

I sure as hell hope the seal does it, I get the feeling they would tell me to pound sand as this trans is several years old and im not the one that bought it

MG0h3

Established Member
damn that will be some awesome customer service if they warranty just on the serial number!

Users who are viewing this thread