T56 Magnum XL swap

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Well boys and girls...I was getting ready to do a stage 1 mt82 build, but came across a pretty good deal on a used T56 Magnum XL. I have decent mechanical skills, but I'm no pro. With the help of a few friends I've been able do all the bolting on the car myself: various bolt-ons, long tubes, and my latest and greatest achievement, TT install. Haven't done a clutch or trans swap though, and I can't find a decent walk through. And words of wisdom, hints, tricks of the trade, post them up. I should be making my road trip to pick up the trans this weekend and will probably start install next weekend. Thanks.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
INDEX THE BELLHOUSING! i fought this issue for 7 months with the quicktime bell, and ate thru two sets of synchros, two input shafts, and everything associated with them.

it was all due to the bell being off by a little.

besides that, it's no different than any other trans job.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
INDEX THE BELLHOUSING! i fought this issue for 7 months with the quicktime bell, and ate thru two sets of synchros, two input shafts, and everything associated with them.

it was all due to the bell being off by a little.

besides that, it's no different than any other trans job.

[youtube_browser]-mb4ezHj1BU[/youtube_browser]

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Any reason why you decided to go with the magnum over the mt82 rebuild?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Debating if its worth it to upgrade the shitty MT82, as I do like the feel and it was actually made for our car. But the magnum is so much more durable, and definitely a hell of a lot better for boosted applications. But the price is nearly the cost of a supercharger.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. Debating if its worth it to upgrade the shitty MT82, as I do like the feel and it was actually made for our car. But the magnum is so much more durable, and definitely a hell of a lot better for boosted applications. But the price is nearly the cost of a supercharger.

The deal I got for the T56 was only a little more than my mt82 build was going to be

scott_0

Established Member
for that great a deal, sure hope the trans is in good working order.......

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
if it's not, my guy in OKC will take it apart and repair whatever isn't for cheap.

he's done mine twice. great work, quick turn around.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Good decision, any opportunity that you get to dump the mt-82 do it.. My tremec has been bullet proof and consistent every day in every kind of usage! My mt.82 was junk from the start. Believe me you will never look back!

Dizzyscure1

Established Member

Dont waste ur time on the MT82 build because when its breaks ur gonna wish u had gone with the Magnum!

hand-filer

Established Member
I bought my replacement MT82 for $750 and it's been flawless. The original is sitting under the work bench waiting for me to get the ambition to replace the noisy bearings.
I have no regrets passing up on the Tremac swap, gear swap, cruise control aggravation blah, blah, etc to end up with a heavier car and a much lighter wallet.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
for those of us that are making big power, and want to go fast, keeping the MT82 simply wasn't an option.

in a race scenario, having to throw 5th for the 1:1 gear is a no no. 5th is also a weak gear in the mt82.

that leaves people not shifting to 5th, and trying to run 4th out. well, 4th runs out at what, 130 for most people? most roll races go 150+ in events (i ran 165 in a 1400 ft event last year).

so people can say "don't swap, the mt82 is great!"....

but those are the people that havent driven a t56 magXL car...

hand-filer

Established Member
Actually I have all kinds of experience with F-Body cars equipped with T56 transmissions. I have nothing against them other than the fact that the gearing is all wrong for these cars.
If you're racing the car or abusing the car (one in the same) The magnum is a good transmission once you've sorted out the rear end gearing and bell housing alignment issues.
Overall I prefer how the car works with the MT82/MGW Race Spec. It handles 600HP just fine if you know how to shift.

for those of us that are making big power, and want to go fast, keeping the MT82 simply wasn't an option.

in a race scenario, having to throw 5th for the 1:1 gear is a no no. 5th is also a weak gear in the mt82.

that leaves people not shifting to 5th, and trying to run 4th out. well, 4th runs out at what, 130 for most people? most roll races go 150+ in events (i ran 165 in a 1400 ft event last year).

so people can say "don't swap, the mt82 is great!"....

but those are the people that havent driven a t56 magXL car...

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
Actually I have all kinds of experience with F-Body cars equipped with T56 transmissions. I have nothing against them other than the fact that the gearing is all wrong for these cars.
If you're racing the car or abusing the car (one in the same) The magnum is a good transmission once you've sorted out the rear end gearing and bell housing alignment issues.
Overall I prefer how the car works with the MT82/MGW Race Spec. It handles 600HP just fine if you know how to shift.

but not so much with 1000rwhp.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

agree. Have a look at the GT500 forums... plenty of complaints about the 6060 over there. A 6060 is admittedly not a magnum xl, but damn close.

but not so much with 1000rwhp.

Are there are manuals that will survive behind 1000 hp? How many times have you rebuild yours?

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
my rebuilding was due to incorrect bell alignment, not from power being too much.

now, if I break it again, now that the bell is indexed properly....then, yes, i'd have issues and would prob auto swap.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks because I love rowing gears. I just don't think I can make the auto switch.

Users who are viewing this thread