T56 now rebuilt pics of work performed

DSGMach104

Established Member
Trans starting getting stuck in stuck in forth gear. Had Piedmont Custom Motorsports here in Raleigh rebuild it for me. Found the problem was 2 of the 4th gear keys had broken. They were stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the case.

I got their stage 2+ rebuild wich inc.
billet keys 1-6 (took side by side pics to compare)
new syncros 1-6
bronze shift fork pads 1-2 3-4 5-6 and rev (replaces stock plastic pieces)
brozne shifter bushing (replaces stock platic piece)
all new seals and snap rings.
They also smoothed out debured the 1-2 shift fork

They let me take some pics of process thought I would share.

img8956small.jpg

img8957small.jpg

img8959small.jpg

img8960small.jpg

img8961small.jpg

img8962small.jpg

img8963small.jpg

img8964small.jpg

img8975small.jpg

img8979small.jpg

img8980small.jpg

img8990small.jpg

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for sharing...how much did that run ya, ball park, you can PM if you like?

greengt88

Established Member
i'd really like to know how much it costs too, i would like to perform the same upgrades to my t-56 as well. how much were parts, and labor. how long did it take to do?? gonna install a new clutch and might as well have the trans gone through too. i have a 3rd gear/ 4th gear issue. and want it solved before i install the whipple and clutch. thanks for the info.

SVT GI

Established Member
x3 on the cost of parts and labor. I don't know how long the stock internals will hold up to 700hp lol.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Awesome Dan! You know, I should've taken pics of my rebuild. I had a lot more broken parts than you bro. Some that TDP said they've never seen break. You should be good to go now.

Digital

Established Member
I shit you not this EXACT SAME THING just happened to me, word for word, car stuck in 4th, 2 keys on magnet. My rebuild parts list looks almost EXACTLY like yours lol.
Cost me like 431$ in parts from promotion and had my buddy who's a GM T56 tranny guru put it together for like 150$.

Last edited:

DSGMach104

Established Member
I shit you not this EXACT SAME THING just happened to me, word for word, car stuck in 4th, 2 keys on magnet. My rebuild parts list looks almost EXACTLY like yours lol.
Cost me like 431$ in parts from promotion and had my buddy who's a GM T56 tranny guru put it together for like 150$.

Wow, crazy same thing happened to you too. My car makes SAE 644hp 598tq. Your friend really hooked you up on the rebuild price. It's a lot of work to completely rebuild a trans like this. Mine was just about $900 parts and labor. I already had the 26 spline input shaft. Anyways trans shifts great and is super quite now. It only had 36k on it before the rebuild and a few of the synchros were already close to worn out. The 5-6 shift fork was also bent slightly.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
ironic... i just had the same problem. Stuck in 4th, im guessing when i forced it out of gear i broke them. Mine was a fluke..i hadnt even been driving it hard.

Digital

Established Member
Interesting... My tranny was about 2qts low on fluid and I beat on it with a spec 3+, last 20k or so it's been at 500-600rwhp. Anyone else want to add to the 4th stuck story and give some more info?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I added a spec 3+, took it for a couple in town drives, all was fine aside from the insane break in, but about the 3 time i drove it, it just got stuck in 4th gear. I was coming to a major intersection at a red light and couldnt get off the road so i had to force it out of gear. From there on, it would go into 4th, but would grind a little and then jump into gear. At first i thought it was due to a stock, stretched cable...had no idea what i had done.

Users who are viewing this thread