T56 rebuild?

SL0BRA650

NorCal.
Established Member
Im looking to get some feed back or suggestions.. My T56 is currently dropped from the car for a clutch job and a 26 spline input shaft. But now im thinking, since the transmission is out, that I should do a full internal rebuild. The transmission has given me no issues, and currently has 52k mi with no leaks or shifting issues. What do you guys suggest?

Car only has 2.6 kb with supporting mods.

Thanks for your input.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Cobra spec'd T-56's are already very stout as delivered (except for the tob retainer and input shaft). Other upgrades you might want to consider are billet shift keys and bronze fork pads, both available from D&D. Enjoy!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With that mileage and no issues, I wouldn't touch it. But you can certainly also follow the advice that #P49Y-CY gave about the billet shift keys and bronze fork pads. Personally, if I was going do a full internal rebuild on a T-56 (assuming it's needed), I would opt for a Magnum T-56. JMO.

cj428mach

Established Member
With that mileage and no issues, I wouldn't touch it. But you can certainly also follow the advice that #P49Y-CY gave about the billet shift keys and bronze fork pads. Personally, if I was going do a full internal rebuild on a T-56 (assuming it's needed), I would opt for a Magnum T-56. JMO.

Bob hit the nail on the head. If you have to dump big money in a t56 in a rebuild its probably cheaper to just go Magnum.

olympic

Established Member
T56 parts are very expensive. Either just leave it alone or have someone competent open it up and check it over to see if anything could use replacement. There's no need to replace everything, just stuff that's worn. As stated, most people install billet shift keys and bronze fork pads as a relatively inexpensive upgrade while the trans is apart.

I'm rebuilding a T56 right now. The engagement teeth on first and second gear are pretty worn so I'm replacing both as well as the 1-2 synchro. Upgraded keys and pads are going in as well. Just those parts and some seals came out to nearly $600!

Dave.O

Established Member
If no issues just change fluid and add new friction modifier. It's not that hard to pull a t56, save for that really annoying bolt on the top passenger side. I can have mine out in 60-90 min now having done it a few times

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Anybody have any feedback on The upgrade kits sold by The Gear Box? After having 3-4 shift problems at a 1/2 mile event this past fall along with 90k miles on the odometer, I’m thinking a rebuild is in order. I also snapped a clutch cable at the same race and now have a chirping TOB so the transmission has to come out anyway to address that

Users who are viewing this thread