t56 swap to a 94 gt

erniessaleen

Established Member
i currently have a 4 speed automatic tranny on my 94 gt and i was thinking of getting a t56, do you guys think this is a good idea and what elses will i need to buy oder then the transmission?

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
Are you doing the swap because you need a trans that can hold more power? Or do you just want a manual trans?

If your just looking for something to shift, theres a lot cheaper options out there.

97LaserRed

Fresh
Established Member
you should probally look into a t45 that will save you money and a lot of time. If you go with bob hanlon internals It will last you. I have a broken bob hanlon t45 if interested. for sale on the cheap!

air_commando88

Established Member
you should probally look into a t45 that will save you money and a lot of time. If you go with bob hanlon internals It will last you. I have a broken bob hanlon t45 if interested. for sale on the cheap!

Your recommending him a t45 that you say will last but your trying to sell him a broken one? no offense, just thought that was kinda funny.

Last edited:

air_commando88

Established Member
Ford T-56 Magnum Package for 94-95 Mustangs w/ 5.0 / 5.8 engines

•BA71 (2.66 1st gear ratio) or BA72 (2.97 1st gear ratio) T-56 Magnum 6 Speed.
•Quick Time Steel Bellhousing
•Shifter
•Crossmember Brackets
•Transmission Mount
•Reverse Inhibitor Pigtail
•Backup Light Switch Pigtail
•Custom Aluminum Driveshaft
Note: 26T Clutch Kit is required. Not included in package but available from D & D.

according to D&Dperformance, who build T-56s and the T-56 Magnum, this is everything thats included in the conversion kits that you will need to do the swap. you can also check out the site for more help

erniessaleen

Established Member
cool thanx....i just wanted to make sure that the swap was possible....do you know how much torque does the t56 tolerate?...also i found a cheap t56 on craigslist a few weeks ago for 1500 but sumone else got it, it had 35K on it :/.....cus i jus think that 4g's for a new tranny is not worth it.

erniessaleen

Established Member
oh i see...what would u recommend a t56 or a t45..cus im planning on gettind trick flow twisted wedge cylinder heads in the future or whatever i can find that best suits my car.

air_commando88

Established Member
that all depends if you want 5 or 6 gears. I don't know to much about the t-45, my 04 uses the TR-3650. I plan on going with the T-56 when I do my build, with heads being your only major upgrade anytime soon the T-45 should be fine. Like I said though, its money and user preference though.

erniessaleen

Established Member
well yeah u have a point.....hopefully i get my hands on a good deal...cus i think that ddperformance prices r way too high...lol....wut modifications do you have on ur mustang?

air_commando88

Established Member
D&D may seem high but you have to figure in that your getting everything you need to make the conversion happen. My car is mainly exhaust, tune, and intake. I'm not doing a whole lot now because i plan on either doing a rebuild with forged internals, a set of cams and blower, or buying an aluminator with blower and T-56. i was saving for awhile but decided to recently spend money to have minor touch ups done to bring her back into car show condition!

erniessaleen

Established Member
oh yeah..thats cool...wut do you think i should do on my stang after installing the tranny...evertything is stock except the headers n da h pipes..i got bbk shorties n mac o/r h pipes

air_commando88

Established Member
oh yeah..thats cool...wut do you think i should do on my stang after installing the tranny...evertything is stock except the headers n da h pipes..i got bbk shorties n mac o/r h pipes

ha...well the possibilities are endless depending on your budget! most people start out with cold air intake, pullies, throttle body, gears...etc. If your going to do heads you might as well add cams and a better intake manifold to get the most out of them. thats going to add up real quick though, after that your most likely gonna want to look into dyno and a tune!

4valvemach

Established Member
IMO spending that much time and money to put a T56 in a stock 94GT is not worth it.Even with heads,cam,exhaust,intake,gears etc etc a GOOD T5 transmission will be good.You can upgrade to the tremec TKO 500/600 and still be way under the cost of the T56 swap.

blownfox

Established Member
I did the t-56 swap a few years back and it is one of the best things I've done to the car.

Depending on your miles on the car, I would get a good HCI combo with supporting mods. If that's out of your budget cold air intake, underdrive pulleys, and gears like air_commando88 said.

DaBigBone

Established Member
IMO spending that much time and money to put a T56 in a stock 94GT is not worth it.Even with heads,cam,exhaust,intake,gears etc etc a GOOD T5 transmission will be good.You can upgrade to the tremec TKO 500/600 and still be way under the cost of the T56 swap.

+1.

I plan on putting the TR-6060 in mine this winter, but I'll actually need it for the power I'll be making.

air_commando88

Established Member
Again, I think its kinda user preference. Gives you a good platform to handle pretty much anything you can throw at it, and if you can handle the finances. also good for any future mods, but yes there are cheaper options.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
i`ve done this swap a few time & what it that T-56 out of 1st off cause the vette, craparro/ firebird ones are hydraulic & there`s a few things that have to be changed ( its not worth it BTW )

look out of a 03-04 cobra one or a 00 cobra-R

i added & edited this for ya my friend :beer:

Ford T-56 Magnum Package for 94-95 Mustangs w/ 5.0 / 5.8 engines

•BA71 (2.66 1st gear ratio) or BA72 (2.97 1st gear ratio) T-56 Magnum 6 Speed.
•Quick Time Steel Bellhousing ( nice piece )
•Shifter (MGW ? )
•Crossmember Brackets ( dont need get a 96-97-cobra bracket unless yours unbolts )
•Transmission Mount ( buy a 03-mount )
•Reverse Inhibitor Pigtail
•Backup Light Switch Pigtail
•Custom Aluminum Driveshaft ( dont need use a 03-04 D/S )
dallas mustang "extened" speed-cal
03-04 cobra pinion flange

if you buy used i would just go ahead & upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft any way ( used or @ lethal performance )
Note: 26T Clutch Kit is required. ( spec 3+ ftw )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread