t56 swap to a 94 gt

speedfreak94

Established Member
ernie, the most economical way for you to get a manual in your car will likely be to find a wrecked/parting-out 94-95 5-speed car to lift all the hard parts from. I don't know if the crossmember is the same from auto to manual but at the minimum you will need a pedal assembly, clutch fork, driveshaft, etc. From what I've gathered about you and your car from reading your post, a freshened up T-5 should serve you just fine for a while. Just make sure you get one from a 94-95 GT as the bellhousing depth is different than on Fox cars.

From there, once your power handling needs exceed the capabilities of the T-5, conventional wisdom is to upgrade to a Tremec TKO 5-speed, as they are strong, reasonably priced, and easy to swap transmissions that are well suited to a Windsor application. Do a search for "sn95 auto to manual conversion" or something and you should get a ton of results from the usual suspects like 5.0 Mustang mag or MM&FF. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

tbirdkilla

The 2003 cobra t-56 is rated for 450 HP. I hear that the weak point is the 10 spline input shaft when getting close to 500hp so people swap to the 26 spline? or 28??

I have a trimec t-56 that has been refurbished w/ bellhousing. It is for a 2003 cobra. I have never had the trans installed, there isnt even gear oil in it yet. I also have a stage 2 clutch kit that fits a 2002 mustang gt. ( its what i needed to go from the trans to the engine i was putting in there)

I was doing something crazy with my old thunderbird but have decided to scrap the project and I am just looking for enough money to get a truck shipped to me and registered. I dont want to post rates here and violate any kind of rules but if you are interested then email me.

[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread