T56 Tranmission Rebuilt Question

50q's

Established Member
My fourth gear synchro went out on my trans. Had it apart a few weeks ago for a 26 spline install and overall everything looked extremely good. I was going to send it out and get a few things upgraded. Any recommendations on upgrades as well as recommended shops. I currently reside in Ohio so if there is a shop area Ohio area that would be perfect but any recommendations would be extremely helpful.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Get the T56 upgrades (bronze thrust pad/bearing, triple cone syncros, steel shift forks). The parts cost about $600 but will take the notchiness out and will shift better. Try Liberty Transmission or D&D

CrazyBoost

Established Member
I sent mine to Tick Performance for their stage 2. Shipping is included in their pricing and they have a pretty quick turnaround. I didn't want to take the chance of messing something up by doing it myself.

TonyG2

Established Member
I shift my T56 at 7k on the dragstrip, and I used to get locked out in either 3 or 4 in most of my passes. Got sick of it, so I got Hanlon to faceplate those gears. Here's a video I took at Cecil county showing how it shifts now. I could never do this when it was synchroed:

(these are 7k powershifts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNgc7Y6cG0

Notice how 2nd gear (synchroed) went in a little rough, while 3rd and 4th (faceplated) were straight shots.

Street driving isn't that bad, but if drag racing wasn't my priority I would probably prefer a synchroed tranny.

Last edited:

Maverick-4

Established Member
I just sent mine to Tick Perfomance also, stage 2, 26 spline and rem polish upgrade, let's see how it comes out!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Tick Performance and RPM are probably going to be the easiest to deal with. They have done tons of these trans rebuild and know their stuff. I took mine to a shop in Northern Maryland since I was skeptical about a shipping company damaging my case. I ended up getting the equivalent to a Tick Stage 2 plus a new 26 spline and a new counter shaft. The trans definitely shifts smoother than it was before. The shop is called RKT Performance if you wish to look them up or check out his site at rkt56.com. He specializes in GMs but also specializes in these transmissions since lots of GM's run them.

Users who are viewing this thread