T56 upgrade questions....

quik67mustang

wat
Established Member
Picking up a t56 tomorrow for my car, been doing my research on them lately and saw a couple things that were good upgrades, like the liberty 26 spline input shaft, and the lethal tob retainer, but is there anything else i should look into upgrading before i put the transmission in my car? I never plan on seeing more than 575-600rwtq out of my car, so i dont want anything too crazy, and the car may only see the strip a few times in its life. I just need it to be able to take what i can throw at it and not have to constantly worry about something breaking haha. So things like the iron 3-4 shift fork etc etc, is that all necessary for what i want? i know it cant hurt, but really?

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
If you're going to be inside the transmission, replace the crappy stamped syncro keys with the solid billet ones.

68gtscode

Established Member
Hello neighbor! AED just got done with my car- 2.3 Whipple install, clutch upgrade, etc. My car is in the torque range you quoted, and AED upgraded the input shaft, clutch, TOB retaining sleeve, and shifter (as far as the transmission went). I think you will be fine with these modifications at your power level.

Not sure who's doing your work, but the folks at AED are very knowledgeable- they have done most of the fastest Terminators in northern CA and I highly recommend them.

Matt

quik67mustang

wat
Established Member
Hello neighbor! AED just got done with my car- 2.3 Whipple install, clutch upgrade, etc. My car is in the torque range you quoted, and AED upgraded the input shaft, clutch, TOB retaining sleeve, and shifter (as far as the transmission went). I think you will be fine with these modifications at your power level.

Not sure who's doing your work, but the folks at AED are very knowledgeable- they have done most of the fastest Terminators in northern CA and I highly recommend them.

Matt

thats so funny, i was planning on calling drew tomorrow to get a quote on building it haha

SlowSVT

Established Member
I believe the stock shift forks are steel with nylon thrust faces. My understanding is the upgraded T-56 uses bronze shift forks which smooths the shifting action. I would call Liberty Transmission or another company who specializes in Tremic transmissions and see what they have to say. You should be able to get a lot of the notchyness out of the gear box.

Users who are viewing this thread