T56 Whine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but gone in 4th

2004BlackSnake

So I just had my T56 completely rebuilt because 5th gear failed on me. After I get the transmission back into the car I immediately hear a howl/whine from the transmission with the clutch out and engine running. Well I ignore that and proceed to drive the Cobra. 1st gear whines all the way up the RPM's and same for 2nd and 3rd. All noise goes away once the transmission is in 4th. The transmission shifts perfectly fine with no grinding or anything. My first response was to take it straight to the place that rebuilt it and had the owner drive with me. He heard the whine and claims it is just the gears "polishing" themselves and will go away. Well 500 miles later the whine is just as loud and annoying. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like I have a supercharger in my transmission. Anyone have any idea what it could be. Owner states everything is brand new but I did not just pay 2k+ for a whining T56 that has a "normal" whine through half of my gears, that's bull****. If anyone could help me out that would be appreciated.

sigmanx

Established Member
Not unless they put straight toothed gears in there for 1st-3rd. And I've never hear of them "whining while polishing themselves smooth" either scenario would require new gears in those ranges.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
Its probably an issue with the input shaft bearing/preload. When in 4th gear you're not using the cluster gear, and the input shaft is locked to the main shaft in a 1 to 1 ratio.

badmpg03

Established Member
Bump here. I am having this same problem.
My trans is stock outside of just having the 26 spline input shaft installed. Tranny making a lot of noise just like the blower. It has not gone away after about 1000 miles and is getting worse. Gears feel great though, no slipping or grinding.

So I just had my T56 completely rebuilt because 5th gear failed on me. After I get the transmission back into the car I immediately hear a howl/whine from the transmission with the clutch out and engine running. Well I ignore that and proceed to drive the Cobra. 1st gear whines all the way up the RPM's and same for 2nd and 3rd. All noise goes away once the transmission is in 4th. The transmission shifts perfectly fine with no grinding or anything. My first response was to take it straight to the place that rebuilt it and had the owner drive with me. He heard the whine and claims it is just the gears "polishing" themselves and will go away. Well 500 miles later the whine is just as loud and annoying. The best way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like I have a supercharger in my transmission. Anyone have any idea what it could be. Owner states everything is brand new but I did not just pay 2k+ for a whining T56 that has a "normal" whine through half of my gears, that's bull****. If anyone could help me out that would be appreciated.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Bump here. I am having this same problem.
My trans is stock outside of just having the 26 spline input shaft installed. Tranny making a lot of noise just like the blower. It has not gone away after about 1000 miles and is getting worse. Gears feel great though, no slipping or grinding.

I was told by TDP that if the 26 spline is installed wrong that will happen.

You likely have internal damage now.

2004BlackSnake

Anyone have any ideas? Almost 1000 miles later and the transmission makes the same noise. Not better nor worse. I'm almost to the point to take it back and ask for a refund if they can't fix it. Just really don't want to pull that transmission back out again.

badmpg03

Established Member
I sent mine to trans shop.
cj428 posted above and was right. My shop said that the guy installing my input shaft did not shim it correctly.
I also needed to buy a new cluster and replace that as well
it's still making some noise but about 15% of the noise it was making before. lesson learned

I procrastinated in taking it back in for repair because car was down 6 weeks and I wanted to have some time with it, but had I taken it back sooner, may not have needed to buy a new cluster

Users who are viewing this thread