Table Saws?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Looking to get into an entry level Table Saw. I know we have some wood workers here..what say you? The Dewalt looks pretty good so far. Not a job sight so don't need a battery operated one. Is a 10" a must? Dewalt has a nice stand so it doesn't have to have it's own. I don't have the room to build a table for one. Mostly looking for smaller projects, not heavy use. I still don't want cheap quality. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Looking to get into an entry level Table Saw. I know we have some wood workers here..what say you? The Dewalt looks pretty good so far. Not a job sight so don't need a battery operated one. Is a 10" a must? Dewalt has a nice stand so it doesn't have to have it's own. I don't have the room to build a table for one. Mostly looking for smaller projects, not heavy use. I still don't want cheap quality. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
In before the "She Said Yes".

tistan

Established Member
The reality is all portable table saws are junk. The fence systems suck and the blades wobble. This Delta is probable the least expensive decent saw out there. I got my neighbor one for some projects he does. I set it up and got everything squared and it cuts good. If he was using it every day it would be interesting to see how it is holding up, but it is just hobby use for him.

This is what most guys use on the jobsite. I have one and it is good for small stuff. It is pretty much the best of the worst.

Last edited:

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had a 10” dewalt for some time. Nice that it’s portable. I would not use it to build furniture, but I have done quite a bit of flooring and trim work with it. I have also done quite a few “paint grade” bookcases. Not I am not a full time contractor but have built several houses.

A buddy of mine is really in to the super fine shit and does furniture. I don’t believe he would use my dewalt as a step stool.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
What do you plan to use it for? A good track saw might be an option.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What do you plan to use it for? A good track saw might be an option.
Small projects mostly, just outside the limits of my miter. If I had a larger garage I would def build a table for it. If I get more into I’ll invest into a larger better one. I’m looking 300-600 for a first one.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here's a good article comparing the more popular Bosch and DeWalt table saws. We found it useful.

Last year our son purchased a saw. It sounds like you have similar uses. For him it was a toss-up between the Bosch and the DeWalt listed in the article above and from Home Depot below.
BTW, Saw Stop saws are nice and the safety feature is awesome. But they're at least another $300.

He ended up purchasing the Bosch, and just said, "It works well for the simple stuff I’ve done with it. The kickback shield was difficult so I don’t use it but otherwise it’s all pretty simple to use."

I have a 10" Craftsman dinosaur with a cast iron table that's +30 years old. It's a great saw but not very mobile - lol.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here's a good article comparing the more popular Bosch and DeWalt table saws. We found it useful.

Last year our son purchased a saw. It sounds like you have similar uses. For him it was a toss-up between the Bosch and the DeWalt listed in the article above and from Home Depot below.
BTW, Saw Stop saws are nice and the safety feature is awesome. But they're at least another $300.

He ended up purchasing the Bosch, and just said, "It works well for the simple stuff I’ve done with it. The kickback shield was difficult so I don’t use it but otherwise it’s all pretty simple to use."

I have a 10" Craftsman dinosaur with a cast iron table that's +30 years old. It's a great saw but not very mobile - lol.
I work at Bosch and one year I won a raffle for a cordless drill. It was ok for the basics but when it came to anything heavy duty it burned right up. My Dewalt is 10 times better. I think that put a bad taste in my mouth.

96dreamer

Established Member
This thread is timely. My older than dirt rockwell table saw bit the dust about 2 weeks ago. Been looking to get something a little newer and easier to move around

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly for just around the house shit, I usually recommend Ryobi for homeowners that wanna do homeowners shit. They have one that is on wheels as well, like the DeWalt model.

Just as a heads up, I'm a DeWalt guy. Been using them on the job for 20+years.

Last edited:

4.698gt

Established Member
Dad bought a top of the line saw stop and it's a monster. The safety feature saved him a hand when he lost his balance pushing a wide piece through the saw. Nothing but a slight nick, not even a drop of blood. Would have been a disaster had it not been for that safety.
This seems like their most economical and they make some solid products.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Dad bought a top of the line saw stop and it's a monster. The safety feature saved him a hand when he lost his balance pushing a wide piece through the saw. Nothing but a slight nick, not even a drop of blood. Would have been a disaster had it not been for that safety.

Glad to hear it worked out OK! SawStops are amazing saws.

Black Friday is just around the corner too.

Rocklers is a specialty store for woodworkers.

IMG_0107.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Quick note about Rockler store quirks.
- Rockler has some very unique and special woodworking tools and supplies which is very cool.
- Some stores are Rockler Stores, others are Rockler Partner Stores.
- Rockler does weird stuff with shipping charges, but I don't recall exactly what it was.

IMG_0108.jpeg

Link:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
As another member stated. All the portable saws today are expensive and junk. It comes down to power and weight. Professional series are made of cast for a reason. As you push materials like a full sheet of plywood or framing materials, you can't tolerate movement from the saw. Also besides a Dewalt most don't have the power to cut framing materials or thick hardwoods.
I have Powermatic in my shop, but currently involved in a large custom home project. I wasn't going to bring my table saw for a long term project. I got on Craigslist and found a 10 year old Craftsman 10" 3 hp table saw 20 miles from the job for $50. Other subs that work on the site all use this saw, even though they have their tools on site. Don't waist your money on the newer expensive saws. Also this Craftsman has a fence that would cost over $500 to option out on a new late model Professional saw. These saws are very easy to work on too.
Screenshot_20231024-190224_Messages.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As another member stated. All the portable saws today are expensive and junk. It comes down to power and weight. Professional series are made of cast for a reason. As you push materials like a full sheet of plywood or framing materials, you can't tolerate movement from the saw. Also besides a Dewalt most don't have the power to cut framing materials or thick hardwoods.
I have Powermatic in my shop, but currently involved in a large custom home project. I wasn't going to bring my table saw for a long term project. I got on Craigslist and found a 10 year old Craftsman 10" 3 hp table saw 20 miles from the job for $50. Other subs that work on the site all use this saw, even though they have their tools on site. Don't waist your money on the newer expensive saws. Also this Craftsman has a fence that would cost over $500 to option out on a new late model Professional saw. These saws are very easy to work on too. View attachment 1814465

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Just looked online in my area and a ton of table saws cheap. Many were Craftsman. Might be another option for me just starting out.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I would look on Craigslist or Marketplace, I bought new and regret it for the amount of use they get, both my miter saw and table saw are stuffed in the corner just taking up space

7upstang

Established Member

I have a Saw Stop in my shop. We have made over a hundred cuts a day on the saw for over 6 years. Would absolutely buy again.

Honestly, like stated above i'd buy a good quality used table saw before I bought a newer cheaper version. A better quality saw will make way better cuts and operate much smoother (Although I'm a liar and purchased a DeWalt portable table saw today)

Users who are viewing this thread