tach quit working

1998BlueSVT

Snake Bitten
Established Member
So just went for a drive and the tach quit on me. Just the tach tho. Sitting at a light it would quit and then jump back up when I took off. Then driving it just quit on me. Then I punched it and it shot up to like 5k and quit.... But momentum carried it all the way to the wrong side of the needle stop. Any ideas on what will cause it to break like that

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
i'm assuming you have never installed an aftermarket tach so i am guessing your wiring is good

If i had to take a quick guess i would say its your cluster. On my cluster i have a short on the temp guage portion of it. Sometimes it will go to zero and sometimes it hangs to 1/4 of the way.

This is me assuming you have not hit anyone or anything to jar the car. Wires just dont break without just cause. However i would take out the cluster and look at the connector and make sure the wire to your tach in the connector is seated properly...

1998BlueSVT

Snake Bitten
Established Member
Well the car was in a minor accident prior to me buying but would that cause it to cut in and out like that. And no no aftermarket gauge on the car. Not that I know of anyways prior possibility but not to my knowledge. Ill pull the cluster and check it tommorow. And its not always doing it. Very rarely actually just wondering where to look

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Before you take the whole cluster out (which I did) check every fuse. I wasted alot of time before my dumbass went to the fuse panel. It turned out to be a blown fuse.

Out of curiosity do you have push kill switch?

Al

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, it can't be a fuse if it works intermittently.

Thats a bad connection of some sort.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member

yer right

u can PM me if you like, i got a lot of experience in the wiring on my cobra because it was all AFU when i got it. Tell me if that works...

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member

True mine was just completely dead.

Mine does get little jumpy after I kill the car with my push kill switch.

Al

crazycarlo

Established Member
Mine does the same thing, When mine went all the way over to the opposite side of the needle i had to wind it to like 4000 rpm and it started back going the other way then i tapped on the plastic. Mine still jumps and occasionally quits I was told that its either the signal coming from the vss or its the tach driver on the back of the cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread