tackling the polish exhaust

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I want start polishing my magnaflow exhaust very soon, I have a busy work schedule, but I want to do while the exhaust in on the car taking my time, the pipes are perfect aligned, reason I don't want to remove, I have read the how to on this already, are all those different grits of paper necessary or some can be skipped? can anyone who has done it while on the car add some tips ? thanks

03' White Snake

Established Member
The smoother the pipes the shinier it will come out.

I use Eagle 1 Chrome wheel cleaner in the beginning to take all the road grime off. Works really well. Sand in 1 direction only with the grain of the metal. I would take them off as its very easy with a jack and 2x4 to make them level again.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I want start polishing my magnaflow exhaust very soon, I have a busy work schedule, but I want to do while the exhaust in on the car taking my time, the pipes are perfect aligned, reason I don't want to remove, I have read the how to on this already, are all those different grits of paper necessary or some can be skipped? can anyone who has done it while on the car add some tips ? thanks

You have a nice cobra. Take your time and do it right you won't regret it. I would recommend taking it off.

Black and decker sells a combo pack with 150/60 grit flapper wheel in it. It easily attaches to a drill. If you can't find it in stores, amazon it!

Hit it with 150 grit flapper wheel and then wet sand the following in order. Take your time! Grab a cold beer and sand in a well lit place ,along sure the paper is always wet. 04Sleeper hit it on the head by using a spray bottle with a DROP of dish soap.

3000 (to go the extra yard)

Then polish either with cotton buffing wheel or just by hand with none other than mothers mag polish

This is a sure fire way to do it once and right. Trust me I have done 4 sets of borla stingers for people and it comes out FLAWLESS.

Lastly...take your time! Lol

Good luck brother!

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I used a orbital palm sander on the course grits(80-220). Saves the arm workout for the finer wet grits

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Doing it on the car is going to be hard. Getting in those tight spots trying to sand will probably be a huge PITA. Best of luck though.

I think taking it off and then spending the time to put it back on right would be worth the trouble.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
as mentioned, if you skip steps it will come out not looking great.

I did mine last winter and rushed it.....it looks good, but not mirror like some others posted.

Blueline

Established Member
DEF. remove the pipes. I start with like 150 maybe then go all the way down to 2000 grit. I use a power hand sander and it takes me about 12 hours to do both pipes, but Im super anal. Dont skip and grits and dont move to a finer grit until all scratches are removed from the current grit. Here are some pics to give you some inspiration lol, its worth it in the end!

D70E3FC8-5CBA-4AD5-B8CD-6D11D9D1DB0F.jpg

ED517FAB-7447-42D5-A9C9-6C06A08369F5.gif

716CC01E-68CC-4407-9492-E0B183ECDA25.jpg

FA6E0F95-9344-4C52-AF7C-EBE6CF6ADF28.gif

D9150DF2-D2D4-41A1-BC0C-5AE44A157F1F.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Cat -backs on these cars are so easy to take off it's not worth the trouble to keep them on the car. I could see if you had to take the car to an exhaust shop and have them cut off and rewelded, but these are some of the easiest cars to remove the exhaust from.

It will literally take you 20 minutes to take them off. You are going to spend hours doing this anyway. Would you rather do this all on your back? Your arms will be sore enough. LOL

Take your time and follow the steps and you will be rewarded with your desired results.

Remember, you only have to do this sanding hard work once! Then you are just maintaining the shine with polish.

Good luck and let me know if you need any pointers.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I actually bought a bench top polisher from Harbor Freight that I use every winter to maintain the polish pipes. Like stated, the first time is the hardest and most time consuming part.

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
Windex works great to for the wet sanding, get a bunch latex gloves or dish gloves, NO way I would do this with them on the car. If I were to do it again, I would find a guy that does it for a living and pay to save my arm. I remember getting done with the first pipe, and it looked great, then I looked at the raw second pipe and began to gently weep. Enjoy!

8gtoklr

Established Member
I used 4 grits and was tired, I wetsanded the tips to. I am saving up and having them ceramic coated bright chrome

20140322_121129_wm.jpg

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
yeah im taking the pipes off, just wondering can I use a sandpaper block, might make it easier on the hands, im gonna start now and take my time, how many packs of each grid is needed?

Franco

Established Member
I did it on the car came out great but not like the results off the car. Main difference is the use of the flapper wheel. That would have brought my exhaust to the levels pictures above. As I use my car I def came out good enough. Maybe next winter I'll pull it off and do it the right way. But results can come out good on the car just have patience and good jack stands

Franco

Established Member
I did it on the car came out great but not like the results off the car. Main difference is the use of the flapper wheel. That would have brought my exhaust to the levels in the pictures above. As I use my car I def came out good enough. Maybe next winter I'll pull it off and do it the right way. But results can come out good on the car just have patience and good jack stands

8gtoklr

Established Member
yeah im taking the pipes off, just wondering can I use a sandpaper block, might make it easier on the hands, im gonna start now and take my time, how many packs of each grid is needed?

get a sander, i used the blocks.

Users who are viewing this thread