tailgate handle-probably a stupid question

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
how do you get yours painted? i see it all the time and the black sticks out like a sore thumb. id assume its just a little glass' and sanding but ive been wrong before. i dunno if anyone knows a different route let me know because if this si my only choice im gonna pick up a spare to work on.

thanks!

-joe

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I took mine off the tail gate cleaned it with soap and water, sanded it with 300 grit then used a couple of coats of bulldog paint adhesion promoter, 8 coats of filler primer, then sand smooth followed by another coat of primer, sand and couple of coats of finish and clear coat.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Thats just about what I did. I just used finer (600) sandpaper and sanded down the plastic until it was glass for the final prep.

I also found that if you open the handle and run a screw in the plastic it will force it to stay open for painting. It helps get the paint down into the cracks that you can see when the handle is opened.

RipitRon

Established Member
Do not use soap and water, you have to remove the mold release agent from the plastic. Used Iso Alcohol, and a used scotchbrite pad. Clean it twice real well, and then run it under water, if it sheets off you are good, if it beads clean it again. What happens is if you sand it with the mold release agent on you sand it right into the plastic, and long term you will loose adheasion!!! I have learned this the hard way!!!

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
don't stop with just the handle!

handle, antenna base, side steps, end caps, bumper pad, rear window surround, cowl!

Smooth_05.jpg

Smooth_01.jpg

Smooth_11.jpg

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
don't stop with just the handle!

handle, antenna base, side steps, end caps, bumper pad, rear window surround, cowl!

Smooth_05.jpg

Smooth_01.jpg

Smooth_11.jpg

oh man that looks good. you actually sanded the "bars" off the bumper and side steps....
how long did that take you to do? Im seriously gonna have to follow suit thats gotta look damned good installed

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
RobG did all the pieces for me a number of years back....still looking like brand new though! He used all brand new pieces so didn't have to worry as much about years of trim dressing, etc. coming out of the plastics trying to make the crappy black plastic look nice lol

To remove the ribs though, the pieces are too thin to just sand them down. They need to be reinforced. Some guys have done it with fiberglass, i think Rob used some sort of body filler sort of stuff. Whatever it was it turned out great and has held up awesome. And its not just cheap thin pieces like the SS ones that just go on with double sided tape lol, although for the work required, the SS ones aren't a bad alternative. Mine were done before they existed though

Smooth_02.jpg

Smooth_04.jpg

Smooth_06.jpg

Smooth_08.jpg

Smooth_09.jpg

Smooth_14.jpg

Smooth_12.jpg

Smooth_13.jpg

Don't forget the hitch plug too!!!

Smooth_15.jpg

AtcoTT204.jpg

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
looks damn good....but ill probably go with the ss for the sides sounds like alot of work lol

off subject but are you factory supercharged? i couldnt find a extended cab s/c harley at all when i was looking almost to the point i thought they didnt exist

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
RobG did all the pieces for me a number of years back....still looking like brand new though! He used all brand new pieces so didn't have to worry as much about years of trim dressing, etc. coming out of the plastics trying to make the crappy black plastic look nice lol

To remove the ribs though, the pieces are too thin to just sand them down. They need to be reinforced. Some guys have done it with fiberglass, i think Rob used some sort of body filler sort of stuff. Whatever it was it turned out great and has held up awesome. And its not just cheap thin pieces like the SS ones that just go on with double sided tape lol, although for the work required, the SS ones aren't a bad alternative. Mine were done before they existed though

Smooth_02.jpg

Smooth_04.jpg

Smooth_06.jpg

Smooth_08.jpg

Smooth_09.jpg

Smooth_14.jpg

Smooth_12.jpg

Smooth_13.jpg

Smooth_15.jpg

AtcoTT204.jpg

looks good. Ill end up with the cervinis side steps since they dont use double sided tape at all.
but the rear quarter steps and bumper are gorgeous and would be willing to pay for em. Sadly I dont think I can trust most places out here to do it for me properly and id end up with shitty looking results.
I know of a Rob here on the boards but I dont think we are talking the same person. Possible to Pm his contact info over?

RipitRon

Established Member

Smooth_02.jpg

Smooth_04.jpg

Smooth_06.jpg

Smooth_08.jpg

Smooth_09.jpg

Smooth_14.jpg

Smooth_12.jpg

Smooth_13.jpg

Smooth_15.jpg

AtcoTT204.jpg

Looks good brother, mine has been done like that for a few years now. All you need to do is work on sucking that rear bumper in. Its a pain in the A$$ but it make a big difference, kind of like the front bumper gap between the fender and the cover!

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
looks damn good....but ill probably go with the ss for the sides sounds like alot of work lol

off subject but are you factory supercharged? i couldnt find a extended cab s/c harley at all when i was looking almost to the point i thought they didnt exist

Nope, 00's were the first year HD, only year for extended cab flareside bed, and were all N/A. All 01's were N/A as well. Only the 02-03's are supercharged (and the 07-08 saleen ship-thru's).

I did the full L drivetrain converison on mine back in 2005. Swapped the 4R70W for a 4R100 and again for a built 4R100. Swapped the N/A 5.4 for a stock S/C 5.4 with forged rods and ARP bolts and again for a full built 5.4 with heads/cams, and swapped the N/A setup for a ported eaton and again for a 2.6 KB

2~2.jpg

cp12.jpg

KB83.jpg

looks good. Ill end up with the cervinis side steps since they dont use double sided tape at all.
but the rear quarter steps and bumper are gorgeous and would be willing to pay for em. Sadly I dont think I can trust most places out here to do it for me properly and id end up with shitty looking results.
I know of a Rob here on the boards but I dont think we are talking the same person. Possible to Pm his contact info over?

Ah I forgot cervinis made side steps too. RobG is on NLOC. He used to be a regular poster but now he's just on once in a while. He owned the infamous hOOtersmobile!

Looks good brother, mine has been done like that for a few years now. All you need to do is work on sucking that rear bumper in. Its a pain in the A$$ but it make a big difference, kind of like the front bumper gap between the fender and the cover!

I actually don't mind the gaps. I like to be able to fit back there to Zaino it lol If the gap were any tighter I couldn't fit my fingers and a MF in there lol

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Ah I forgot cervinis made side steps too. RobG is on NLOC. He used to be a regular poster but now he's just on once in a while. He owned the infamous hOOtersmobile!

the cervinis units actually bolt in as opposed to tape on. so ill end up with a set of their steps.
ill give him a shout, thank you.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
Nope, 00's were the first year HD, only year for extended cab flareside bed, and were all N/A. All 01's were N/A as well. Only the 02-03's are supercharged (and the 07-08 saleen ship-thru's).

I did the full L drivetrain converison on mine back in 2005. Swapped the 4R70W for a 4R100 and again for a built 4R100. Swapped the N/A 5.4 for a stock S/C 5.4 with forged rods and ARP bolts and again for a full built 5.4 with heads/cams, and swapped the N/A setup for a ported eaton and again for a 2.6 KB

2~2.jpg

cp12.jpg

KB83.jpg

explains why i couldnt find one lol....nice truck man love the ride even more now that i know its special. and your under hood shots are awesome i love the polished KB

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
Thanks! I ain't nowhere near done with it yet either :D

that motor will probably find its way into my 85 down the road, and I'll go aluminum stroker motor or something in there lol

Users who are viewing this thread