Take-home cars. LEO only please.

runsonboost

Established Member
How many of your agencies issue a take home vehicle and what types of restrictions are placed on them? Also, how does it effect your pay? I.E. more pay/no car or less pay/car? Thanks guys.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
DPS finally got everyone a take home car here recently. It is to be used for On-Duty time only. Also, there will be no personal business when you are on duty as well. Pay is the same.
Now when I worked for the PD we had a take home car. I lived five mile outside the city limits, but the Chief felt the more visible the units were the better. It was good for me saved on a lot of gas!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
All sworn personnel issued take home cars from day 1. Off duty use for training, gym, schooling, vehicle maint. No personal use.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Right now K9 guys only. No pay difference.

I'm working on getting cars for the SWAT guys :coolman:, we'll see how that goes. :shrug:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
When I worked for the county, I had a take home lived in the county. On duty use only and gym off duty. Same pay Working for the Govt now I dont have a take home car.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
Every Trooper in Arizona has one issued to them. The car's only to be used for on-duty time and training.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
all sworn officer at my dept had take home cars and issued a county gas card. did not effect pay at all.

i had 2 vehicles, 1 crown vic and a transport / special response van

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
We get a PPV (personal police vehicle) which we use at our discretion, but only within the county.
If you live out of county, you still get a single-officer vehicle issued to you, but you cannot take it out of county, so most everyone in this category parks theirs at the county line (fire stations mostly).
Pay is the same. We save a TON on gas and it seems like there's A TON of officers working at any given time.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Take home cars for our department. Used for work or business only (training, school, court) can only be taken home if you live in the county. we have sunpasses issued to us and the city has its own gas pumps. does not affect pay, for now. Some departments down here are starting to deduct pay from guys who have take home cars to contribute towards the maintenance of it ( Ive heard anywhere from 20-60 bucks a check)

runsonboost

Established Member
Im just trying to get a little info here. Our county has take home cars, but starting pay is like 31-32k then after a year up to 36k. In Bloomington they dont have take home cars but they start at about 40k I think. Some of the officers I have talked to, and I share this POV, think that the car is part of the pay. So if a dept is currently using take-home cars, and wants to take them, do you guys think they should increase their pay? A few of the depts around here have restrictions on the take homes, like paying every month to help cover maint. issues and off duty mileage restrictions and most have residency restrictions. Like you cant live outside the county that you work in. If they do they just leave the car at a business overnight or something. Thanks for the replies.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Last I checked.. The thread does say LEO only, I'd say it's a fair assumption that the posters in here are all officers.

Not really a big deal, just curious as to why it was deleted.

then i am not sure, unless it wasnt constructive and contributed to the good of the thread.

you would be suprised at how many idiots, regardless if it says LEO or not still post. make sure you are site verified LEO...if not just PM FORDSVTFAN with your info.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
then i am not sure, unless it wasnt constructive and contributed to the good of the thread.

you would be suprised at how many idiots, regardless if it says LEO or not still post. make sure you are site verified LEO...if not just PM FORDSVTFAN with your info.

He's not on the site verified list. Could be the issue.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

As the rules require, those posting in LEO Only threads must be site verified LEOs. As you know we put in place the LEO verification procedure years ago because posers and wannabees were posting ridiculous info and claiming to be LEOs. This poster may be a LEO, however, he has not been verified as such.

rubber duck

Established Member
Take homes for K9, dets, and command staff only. No pay difference. Some guys choose to not take them, as having a crown vic in front of your house with M plates isn't always a good thing.

Last edited:

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Take home for senior officers, no pay diff. Can only be used for official business. As long as you live in the county

slapshot

Established Member
We have take homes as well. The off duty use was limited a few years ago. We used to be able to use them off duty for personal use. Now we can only use them off duty for courts, training, meetings, and other work related stuff. If the employee lives in the county, there is no pay difference at all. If they live in a surrounding county (OK per policy) then they are required to pay a mileage fee from the county line to their residence.

1time

Established Member
In okc only for patrol with restictions..but i gave mine up to work in the property room ...less stress after 21years on the street i ride my bike to work ,i'm in plain clothes and i love it!!!!

ASRacer

Established Member
Having a take home car doesn't affect our pay in terms of getting less money for having a take home and getting more if you don't. We don't get a choice. Everyone gets a take home car. The nature of our department requires that we be able to respond anywhere at any time.

I have noticed that having a take home car has a SIGNIFICANT impact on my personal vehicles though. Keep in mind I don't drive my issued car to the gym, or range, or even most training for that matter even though I could. We are not allowed to use the car personal errands although I have heard of some departments that allow that.

But to give you some idea of what it's worth, consider this. I bought a 2006 F-150 in 2006 and traded it in last year in July. In the five years I had it I managed to rack up only 50,000 miles.

The F350 that I replaced it with just had its first oil change last week with only 7700 miles on the clock. The Ford dealer told me not to change the oil until the computer required it, so that's the schedule I've been keeping. Since I got the maintenance plan Ford takes care of everything.

As for fuel, I put diesel in it about once every two to three weeks. Mostly that is driven by the price of fuel as my fillups are not full tanks, rather I replenish what I use when fuel prices drop.

My GT500 I fill up about once a month. It has 11,000 miles on it and I got it in June of 2010. So it gets about 5,500 miles per year.

If I had to guess I'd say a take home car is worth about $10,000 a year in fuel and depreciation, maintenance cost, consumables like air filters, brakes, tires, oil, filters, etc. Plus I like being able to have the car set up for me and not having to haul my crap in and out each day.

I feel bad for the guys who have to hot lap pool cars. Those things get treated like crap and it shows. Plus I know exactly what my car will and will not do, she's my partner and I know that I can trust her because nobody has smashed her and ruined her. I take care of my maintenance at a shop that I trust and they do exactly what I want done. Little things like flushing the brake fluid every brake service is a mandatory requirement that I have.

I'm hard on brakes so I need to know that I'm not going to boil the fluid the first time I get into a pursuit after some brake work has been done because the shop was lazy and reused the old fluid.

So there is more than monetary value to having a take home car.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I'd say it's easy worth 8-10 grand or more with me a year having one. Gas is a bish, so glad I don't have to buy that stuff except for like once a month in my POV

Users who are viewing this thread