Take the deal or stand on principle?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I worked up a "quote" on the Pen Fed site last week which came back a little over 2% less than MRSP. A dealer contacted me saying they could help with the car i wanted. Typical Internet sales stuff.

I specifically asked "Do you have allocation & Will you honor this price even though the car is special order?" the answer came back as "yes we will honor that price even though it is special order" in an e-mail.

I went into the dealership (this past Sat afternoon) and spoke to the sales guy & GM and asked them both if they would honor the price. Both said yes.

Yesterday I get a call around 3PM saying they can do the deal at $1000 over MRSP. I politlely told the sales guy no & that they had renegged on what we spoke about. He called back about an hour later saying they would MSRP but they had to know right away cuz they had other people waiting for this and gave me first dibs. I thought WOW I'm special!!!! How do i believe this guy. Between me going in on Saturday afternoon and 3PM Monday they others in line for it. So I hadn't called back.

Got another call from sales guy today about an hour ago saying they need to know today asap becuase they now have an allocation to fill and if they don't send in mine they have order a vehicle with whatever specs the dealer wants. So I'm thinking...what about line of people that want this.

What would you do? Take the MSRP deal which is what about everyone wants. Speak to the GM and call him out on the e-mail and his word (which is garbage at this point).

I don't like dealing or spending my money with liars

Snoopy49

Established Member
If they lied to you this early in the negotiations, how can you trust them to honor the deal when the car arrives.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm about to call and ask to speak to the GM. Depending on his responses, I'll know what to do.
I understand them wanting to make a buck, but to lie about what they can & cant after they already said they could/would is wrong. I'd bet the sales 'kid' will end up as the fall guy and they'll go slightly below MSRP.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
You have the email stating that they will honor the penfed price. Go in tonight and talk to the GM- I bet you that allocation HAS to be ordered by tomorrow to be locked in for your options.

Leave a $1000 deposit and get a purchase and sale agreement- signed by the GM

Being that they put it in writing in the email- the GM should honor it.

Make sure you go tonight- you might miss out as I think the order will need to be put in by 2 tomorrow

VaporDude

Established Member
I would call them out on the deal since you essentially have it in writing in an e-mail from an authorized representative of that dealer. If they still insist, tell them, see ya in court then blast out on the showroom floor "This dealer is a liar. They are a bait and switch dealer." until the cops show up.

Lemers

Established Member
As soon as you put money down there should be a written agreement about what was ordered and for what price. They can always try to break the deal and the outcome will be how far are you willing to take it.

farmboy90

Established Member
Honestly, if they have allocation, I would take the deal. You'd be able to get the car exactly how you want it versus finding a lot dweller somewhere.

You don't have to search far on these forums to find tons of guys who are losing their allocations because dealers lied (or were misinformed), etc. The cars are going to be hard to find if you are particular about options, etc.

I'd take the deal.

phil123

Established Member
If you really want a 2013 Shelby at MSRP take the deal unless you prefer endless hours of frustration trying to find another.

SIRLOIN

Established Member
I'm not really sure what your issue is here. They are telling you they will sell a Shelby for MSRP.. Get it in writing and place your order...:shrug: Are you saying that because a car dealership tried to squeeze a few extra bucks out of you, then backed off it, you don't wanna do business with them? It's a car dealship, what do you expect?

If you get a signed contract from them stating MSRP, what's the big deal?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
So some other stooge from the dealer called asking how he could help. I asked who he was and said he was A sales manager. I asked about the card given to me by the GM. He said we don't have a GM...oy vey!
I briefly explained the situation, likely out of frustration. He told me that they did not have an allocation and the General "Sales" Manager would call me back.

Now they don't have one. What gives

farmboy90

Established Member
So some other stooge from the dealer called asking how he could help. I asked who he was and said he was A sales manager. I asked about the card given to me by the GM. He said we don't have a GM...oy vey!
I briefly explained the situation, likely out of frustration. He told me that they did not have an allocation and the General "Sales" Manager would call me back.

Now they don't have one. What gives

Sounds like someone swooped in and put a deposit on it and offered more than sticker. Or maybe another dealer grabbed it up from them. But it sounds like you may have lost an opportunity here. :(

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm not really sure what your issue is here. They are telling you they will sell a Shelby for MSRP.. Get it in writing and place your order...:shrug: Are you saying that because a car dealership tried to squeeze a few extra bucks out of you, then backed off it, you don't wanna do business with them? It's a car dealship, what do you expect?

If you get a signed contract from them stating MSRP, what's the big deal?

Although the full order was fille out and under price they left it at "TBD...Nothing has been signed yet. and though I tried to put $1000 and they took a copy of my DL and credit card they took no money

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Update...GM just called me saying I must have misunderstood the printout. He would honor the other number for special order vehicles but not the "in stock". Its only $400 but its below sticke and he said he'll call to modify the order with my specs tomorrow. He mentioned there were others interested but since I was first in he gave me first right of refusal.
Needless to say i'm takin the deal.

drmustang

Banned
Update...GM just called me saying I must have misunderstood the printout. He would honor the other number for special order vehicles but not the "in stock". Its only $400 but its below sticke and he said he'll call to modify the order with my specs tomorrow. He mentioned there were others interested but since I was first in he gave me first right of refusal.

Hope your chosen dealer changes his ways and treats you ethically and with respect as he obviously did not initially.

Really gotta love some of the nonsense that just seems to have no end and is alive and well in this thread promoted by the usual cast. Someone "swooped" in and stole your deal or even better, another dealer came along and will order the car at full sticker price. The sad thing is there are guys on who here who believe this crap. LOL

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Good for you man!

Happy that you're getting the deal.

Like everyone else suggested- like any expensive transaction whether it's a car dealer or not- make sure you get it in writing and cash changes hands

Seems like there was some miscommunication between managers and their internet sales reps- yet they honored it.

Congrats to you

GSStage2

Established Member
I would still take the deal also, what I have learned in my recent searches and this is quite obvious these dealers deal with a ton of "tire kickers" even if the car is notbon the lot. If you come in ready to buy, do not deal with the sales person, always with the GM or the new car sales manager.

Users who are viewing this thread