Talladega record

SDDL-UP

Established Member
So Ford won't post "ring" times, but they will take a dedicated race car from another race series to Talladega to break a NASCAR record held by Ford racing legend Bill Elliot. Who thought that would be a good idea? It really makes me wonder...

A 2013 turbo V6 race car beats 1970's/80's V8 stock car.... As a consumer I don't care. As a race fan I don't care. As a Ford fan it strikes me as a stupid move.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/ford-ecoboost-engine-sets-daytona-record-showcases-technology.html

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Seems like you care a good bit. :shrug: It'd be helpful if you posted a link.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
First off this was done at Daytona, not 'Dega. This was just Ford showing off the turbocharging capabilities of the new ecoboost platform and what it's potentially capable of. Ring times ain't everything...

U.M.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Not really that impressed in today's times honestly. :shrug:

I'd much rather be going 222MPH in Ford's new contraption than the 210MPH Bill Elliot went in that '87 Thunderbird.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
An impressive speed record for sure. You just know that the EB '6' and '4' engines are going to be heavily marketed by Ford today and in the future.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I am not sure why this would butthurt you so much? they don't use 'ring times to sell the Ford. Hell why bring American cars there when we have so many good tracks here anyway.

yet the article seemed to show case the potential of the engine not a market car. Here is what it is about:
2014 United SportsCar Championship schedule unveiled - Racer.com

Even Edmund's caveats that at the bottom of the article. How did you miss it? Did you read the article at all?
Edmunds says: Elliott's achievements during the years of peak raw speeds for stock cars are legendary. This record was not set in a comparable public forum, but it's an impressive performance for Ford to tout and it provides some more spark for the debut of the USCC next year.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
So Ford won't post "ring" times, but they will take a dedicated race car from another race series to Talladega to break a NASCAR record held by Ford racing legend Bill Elliot. Who thought that would be a good idea? It really makes me wonder...

A 2013 turbo V6 race car beats 1970's/80's V8 stock car.... As a consumer I don't care. As a race fan I don't care. As a Ford fan it strikes me as a stupid move.

Ford EcoBoost Engine Sets Daytona Record, Showcases Technology | Edmunds.com

You say you don't care but you made this only the 5th post since you've been a member here in 2009? Butt hurt much?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Not really that impressed in today's times honestly. :shrug:

I'd much rather be going 222MPH in Ford's new contraption than the 210MPH Bill Elliot went in that '87 Thunderbird.

i prefer to go 225 mph in Ford GT :coolman:

22mb.jpg

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
^^^^ - Tru dat, Bill Elliot's average speed at Dega was 213.xx mph. not sure what these car's were hittin in the straights. my speed was hit on the street :D

would luv to take my GT out on a superspeedway and see what kind of average lap speed i could attain....

Last edited:

SDDL-UP

Established Member
My apologies for the mislabeled post.

I am not "but hurt" - but thanks for the concern. I would like to see Ford make better decisions concerning their marketing. How many times has the Ford GT been showcased in a commercial? Not many! Ford's true supercar and it should have been showcased a lot more.

It is my opinion that the Daytona EB record is a silly thing to tout. How many other cars or other manufacturers could have the record TODAY if they wanted?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I think Rusty Wallace's record at Talladega when they let him run his car withoit a restrictor plate was more impressive than old Bill from Dawsonville's run at Daytona. Rusty managed to run a 216.306MPH average speed and was hitting 228MPH at the end of the back stretch.

U.M.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
My apologies for the mislabeled post.

I am not "but hurt" - but thanks for the concern. I would like to see Ford make better decisions concerning their marketing. How many times has the Ford GT been showcased in a commercial? Not many! Ford's true supercar and it should have been showcased a lot more.

It is my opinion that the Daytona EB record is a silly thing to tout. How many other cars or other manufacturers could have the record TODAY if they wanted?

Says he's not butt hurt, then goes on to explain why he's butt hurt. OP, do you have any time, money or energy invested in this record or the old one? If not, who cares?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think Rusty Wallace's record at Talladega when they let him run his car withoit a restrictor plate was more impressive than old Bill from Dawsonville's run at Daytona. Rusty managed to run a 216.306MPH average speed and was hitting 228MPH at the end of the back stretch.

U.M.

Bill didn't have a plate on for either of his records did he?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Bill didn't have a plate on for either of his records did he?

No he didn't, it was the last year they allowed the stock cars to be raced without a restrictor plate.

What he is referring to is a few years ago Rusty Wallace did a test at Talladega for NASCAR to see what the current stock cars are capable of doing around Talladega...and that was when he hit almost 230mph in a stock car. I say a few years ago, but it was probably closer to 10 years ago actually. lol. My has time flown

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
No he didn't, it was the last year they allowed the stock cars to be raced without a restrictor plate.

What he is referring to is a few years ago Rusty Wallace did a test at Talladega for NASCAR to see what the current stock cars are capable of doing around Talladega...and that was when he hit almost 230mph in a stock car. I say a few years ago, but it was probably closer to 10 years ago actually. lol. My has time flown

Always heard about Rusty's run at Talladega....I can't believe nobody got a video of that

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Ford doesn't post ring times because there is no standard for timing cars at the ring, therefore no true official time. It's pretty much up to manufacturers to time their equipment as they see fit. Jamal Hameedi (ya know lead developer of the halo Mustang) commented on this a while back. He said if there were official and legitimate times recorded at the ring that Ford would be first in line with their performance models until then they don't put any stock in times at the ring

They do, however use the ring to dial in the brakes and suspension; that's why they test there. Do some research before you make silly comments. As far as the record at Dega, they're just trying to pump up the press on the ecoboost. I don't think it's all that impressive they broke that record either, it was 25+ years old.

Ford EcoBoost Engine Sets Daytona Record, Showcases Technology | Edmunds.com

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
^^^^ - Tru dat, Bill Elliot's average speed at Dega was 213.xx mph. not sure what these car's were hittin in the straights. my speed was hit on the street :D

would luv to take my GT out on a superspeedway and see what kind of average lap speed i could attain....

That's pretty crazy man! I wasn't trying to take anything away from you either, because I have jack squat on you. :rockon:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I vaguely remember that. It would be interesting to see what the current cars would do.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
I vaguely remember that. It would be interesting to see what the current cars would do.

Nascar still runs non-restrictor plate motors on tracks that are not super speedways. as i recall the difference in power is ~ 200 horsepower. the motors that they qualify with have even more power....

Users who are viewing this thread