Tattoo Advise

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Does anyone have any advice on how to pick a parlor and a particular artist? I'm sure most have some sort of portfolio to show, but even then I am no expert and wouldn't even be sure what to look for. I mean, I could look at something and say I like it or I don't but it wouldn't necessarily be a gauge of their skill. So if you have any tips or know of any sort of review website feel free to share. Thanks.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
use a stencil and a sharpie till you hate it and thank me later. :thumbsup: joking.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Ask people around town. Some places are pretty sketchy. Get recommendations from people that have gotten tattoos at some of your local shops. Try to aim for a tattoo shop, not a smoke shop/tattoo shop combo. You will definitely notice that there is a different crowd. Just don't rush into getting whatever you want done. Go in and just talk to the people that work at the shops in your area and let them know what you are looking to get done before you commit to a place or artist. You do get what you pay for usually too.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
First decide what type of tattoo you want. Once you have established that start looking into artists who specialize in that area. Many are great at everything but you want the one person who focuses their full attention to once specific area, i.e. photos, etc. Shop around and look through portfolio's and explain what you are looking for. Let them help you create/choose exactly what you want and have them sketch it out. Make sure it is in the area you want and ask for advice. Many tattoo's just don't look right in certain areas so make sure it fits the body part you wish to put it on. Select your colors and enjoy the pain, it's worth it.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
+1 , or go ahead and get it. Then when you get older and come to the hospital we can all laugh about it while youre unconscious. We love that stuff!:banana:

You laugh? But I thought everytime people see a tattoo they marvel at the individuality and self expression of the inked up person.......hmmmm

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
A tattoo shop should be able to sketch out whatever idea you have in mind, creativity should be flowing out of their head. Just about every tattoo i've gotten, my artist has had to adjust it or sketch it out to make it work properly for the area on my body I want it. A lot of artists will sound like they know what they're doing, but obviously you know to look at their portfolio. Also many tattoo artists also do drawings and paintings for fun, not just tattoos.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
You laugh? But I thought everytime people see a tattoo they marvel at the individuality and self expression of the inked up person.......hmmmm

personally, tattoos are like personalized plates, some of them are great, creative, it's art. The majority of them are kind of stupid and gay. It has to be some thing really personal to you. Lost loved ones for example. To the op, some thing permanent is never some thing to jump into, do like the others have suggested, you can't have enough research. Maybe ask to sit in on somebody having work done?

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
Don't do it!! 45 years later you won't even be able to tell what the tatoo represents as it will be faded so bad...and look like a glob of dirt!! I speak from experience!:coolman:

steve99

Established Member
Don't do it!! 45 years later you won't even be able to tell what the tatoo represents as it will be faded so bad...and look like a glob of dirt!! I speak from experience!:coolman:

Don't go to the cheapest place you can find or it will look like this guys, a good tatoo costs money and will last a long time. Look for a reputable shop and choose one that means something to you so you won't regret it.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
First decide what type of tattoo you want. Once you have established that start looking into artists who specialize in that area. Many are great at everything but you want the one person who focuses their full attention to once specific area, i.e. photos, etc. Shop around and look through portfolio's and explain what you are looking for. Let them help you create/choose exactly what you want and have them sketch it out. Make sure it is in the area you want and ask for advice. Many tattoo's just don't look right in certain areas so make sure it fits the body part you wish to put it on. Select your colors and enjoy the pain, it's worth it.

What he said.

The most well known shop around here has a great variety of artists. One is great with color, one is great with shading, one is great at portraits, one is good with large pieces and/or sleeves, etc.

Once you figure out what you want then find out how you want it done and find the artist that fits the bill.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member

True with older inks, but the inks they use now are more stable and higher quality. You can also get the tattoo redone down the road is it fades.

Users who are viewing this thread