Tbss

Adiabatik

Banned
This thread is simply out of curiosity.

The TBSS was supposedly a badass truck the rivaled the Jeep SRT8. Yet the only thing I hear from TBSS owners is how big of a POS it is. I've heard this both on the internet and in real life.

Any explanation?

blackvette101

Established Member
interesting i never had issues with mine. It was a great daily driver that surprised a lot of people. Sold it at 95k miles becuase $120 a week in gas was getting ridiculous.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
You could always look at a Saab 9-7x Aero, they're usually cheaper than their chevy counterpart and a bit of a sleeper as nobody expects an LS2 in a Saab.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
If I were to do it over again I would have kept searching for an SRT8 Jeep. With that being said I still like my TBSS, and after a few mods it is plenty quick for my daily driver. I wanted an AWD model which is what I got. I am a little disappointed in it's stock performance and drivability.

You will need an intake/tune to run with a stock SRT8, if not the TBSS will get walked every time. The best mod would be a tune (PCMforLess is who I got mine from) the performance gains are alone worth it, but it also improves the drivability by eliminating the "slip/bang" in the stock torque management....from what I have read it will not harm the transmission either way, but leaving it on the stock tune gets annoying as is bangs into 2nd/3rd between 1700-2000 RPM.

Build the transmission, magnacharger with supporting mods ~550 AWHP!
Build the transmission, heads/cam with supporting mods ~470 AWHP
Stock transmission, full bolt-on's ~400 AWHP...might not last long on the stock tranny.

I am to the point now where my next mod will need to be a built tranny. Which won't be cheap, but once that is done I can throw just about anything at it and not worry about a thing.

Last edited:

mjs1012

Established Member
Theyre not bad trucks by any means. Only issue would be the stock tranny if you plan on modding it past simple bolt ons and beat on it often. They are plenty reliable if you throw on a tranny cooler and use it as a dd and dont beat the piss out of it all the time. Only thing I dont like about the awd ones are the oil system. The pickup tube is in the front of the oil pan due to the front driveshaft, but adding an extra qt every oil change will reduce any issues. With a 2wd tbss you can put a c6 vette pan on it where the pickup tube goes to the back. With a well built tranny they can take some serious abuse in a heavy truck. The ls2 and 14 bolt will last a while untouched. Ive been in the market for a tbss as a daily and would love to own one.

My dad has the 4.2 i6 blazer and its been great to him. All hes ever needed to replace is a wiper motor and a front wheel hub. For it being a 12 year old truck that pretty damn good.

Last edited:

mjs1012

Established Member
You could always look at a Saab 9-7x Aero, they're usually cheaper than their chevy counterpart and a bit of a sleeper as nobody expects an LS2 in a Saab.

This is true. The saab also has a nicer interior IMO.

mjs1012

Established Member
That seems pretty fair. There are 2 dealerships near me 1 with a tbss and 1 with a saab and the price differences are crazy. I believe the tbss is 16.9k with 80k and the saab is like 10.5 with 60k.

tistan

Established Member
They are junk. 4 window motors, busted shaft in the front diff, and now an engine leak in my wifes 07 DD. Bought it new and she doesn't ever even beat on it.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
This thread is simply out of curiosity.

The TBSS was supposedly a badass truck the rivaled the Jeep SRT8. Yet the only thing I hear from TBSS owners is how big of a POS it is. I've heard this both on the internet and in real life.

Any explanation?

:lol: it certainly does not rival the srt8.

Users who are viewing this thread