teksis engine build specs

wkornf

Established Member
I have an aluminum block with 8 bolt crank from a 1999 cobra. I'm about too get it freshened up at the machine shop. where can I find comprehensive values for reassembly? bearing , thrust clearances, main and side, rod bolt torques etc. I own bought a book on 4.6l but it is doesn't explicitly cover the aluminum block.

where you guys getting "official" values from?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jony51999

Established Member
Subbed. I have a book by Sean Hyland that has specs in it but I'm interested in what some others have to say/source.

If no one chimes in I can share the info from the book I have...he really seems to know his stuff and I'd be confident using the info from it. Definitely use a shop that has experience with the mod motors (aluminum blocks specifically) if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wkornf

Established Member
thanks, I bought the other book on Amazon, "Ford engines 4.6l how to rebuild". wasn't sure if the Hyland book would be any better. Reviews are mixed

jony51999

Established Member
thanks, I bought the other book on Amazon, "Ford engines 4.6l how to rebuild". wasn't sure if the Hyland book would be any better. Reviews are mixed

My opinion is that the Hyland book is for someone that has built engines (not just assembled but actually measured specs and has the necessary tools to do so) as it assumes the reader has a certain amount of knowledge and experience.

If you have built engines before just not a mod motor you would certainly like it and find it useful I think as that's my position. That's my .02 anyway

wkornf

Established Member
thanks, my uncle will be doing the assembly and he has lots of experience building olds and Chevy stuff but never a modular. I'm really mostly interested in torques and clearances for us to reference. will probably use factory TTY stuff so want the right values.

if the Hyland book is a resource maybe I'll pick that up

jony51999

Established Member
thanks, my uncle will be doing the assembly and he has lots of experience building olds and Chevy stuff but never a modular. I'm really mostly interested in torques and clearances for us to reference. will probably use factory TTY stuff so want the right values.

if the Hyland book is a resource maybe I'll pick that up

It has a full page dedicated to torque specs (based on tty bolt use, ARP you should use their moly lube and specs they provide).

The clearances are discussed in the various chapters that talk about the engines in depth.

Sounds like it's worth the $24 investment for you.

The thread noted above on the aluminator build is as the poster said also chock full of good information.

wkornf

Established Member
It has a full page dedicated to torque specs (based on tty bolt use, ARP you should use their moly lube and specs they provide).

The clearances are discussed in the various chapters that talk about the engines in depth.

Sounds like it's worth the $24 investment for you.

The thread noted above on the aluminator build is as the poster said also chock full of good information.

thanks a ton! I'll order it.

jony51999

Established Member
thanks a ton! I'll order it.

d5400241312ed5a80c2aa1f776895701.jpg

Here's the page of torque spec info for reference and as an idea of the info. I plan to copy the page and write the details of my build out on it as documentation if I ever have an issue or sell the car.

Users who are viewing this thread