Temporary Plasti Dip *CAR* Bra?

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
Notice the emphasis on CAR Bra, so please try to stay focused on the real question!

I was wondering if anyone has thought about or tried using plasti dip for a temporary bra on long trips? I've never used it before, so I am just curious. I was wondering if any has used the clear plasti dip as well?

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have read somewhere that plasti dip can dull your paint.

street591

®®®®
Established Member
I can only see it dulling paint if left on for a REALLY long time.

Also, plastidip MIGHT cover you from bugs and tar but won't stand a chance against rocks unless...you layer that shit like a wedding cake.

Why no painters tape bra?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing on my trip to MustangWeek in July.

I already use painters tape and a leather bra but more protection is always better in my eyes.

photobucket-4141-1345302063961.jpg

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
they make stuff called Road Wrap that you can use for a quick fix or covering little areas (clear sticky 8 mil thick stuff)

I would buy an OEM licensed ford bra for it and run that

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
That makes sense, the main thing would be to protect it from rock chips. I just didn't know how it would withstand against rocks. Oh well, I guess painters tape under a bra is still the answer!

Can anyone recommend me a really good bra?

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
they make stuff called Road Wrap that you can use for a quick fix or covering little areas (clear sticky 8 mil thick stuff)

I would buy an OEM licensed ford bra for it and run that

I think your right. I'll probably just do that then.

I noticed your in B-ham, what part? My in-laws live in Riverchase in Hoover, so we are always there. My brother lives there too.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Plasti dip has been known to stick to cars perm if not applied correctly and for long durations of time. It becomes one with the clear coat making it impossible to lift without ruining the finish under. Their are plenty of horror stories with this and my GT has stuck plasti dip because it was too lightly applied and spready out. I suggest against this. If you want to throw down painters tape then plasti dip that, then sure why not.

EYG03COBRA

Established Member

I plan on doing this later down the road after I repaint the front bumper. My front bumper is still in really good shape, but there are some chips. I guess I'm just looking for a cheaper way to preserve my front bumper. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

testorossa1989

Established Member
I plan on doing this later down the road after I repaint the front bumper. My front bumper is still in really good shape, but there are some chips. I guess I'm just looking for a cheaper way to preserve my front bumper. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Best way is not to tailgate, Road tarnish is going to occur regardless. The clear bra's i saw on a few ferraris at my local dealership and you couldnt tell until your 6inches away but thats a ferrari and put far more time into molding it. Your best bet would be a clear 3M bra.

10sec89

Established Member
I will be running my ford bra on the trip to Mustang Week from Florida.
I need to remember the painters tape for the mirror though, I like that idea.
417700_10152611920395177_632831115_n.jpg

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
does painters tape leave sticky shit on the car?
If you leave it on for a long time or it gets wet it can, but its designed to leave zero residue.

+1 or any clear vinyl if its only temporary you can save some coin.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I put painters tape under my bra because the bra flaps and chaffs the paint on fenders and bumber. Its 900 miles each way for me to MW so I protect it the best I can. I drive 14 hrs straight through at nite so bugs and crap are unavoidable.

And mine is an OEM ford bra. And no painters tape comes right off with zero residue.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Plasti dip has been known to stick to cars perm if not applied correctly and for long durations of time. It becomes one with the clear coat making it impossible to lift without ruining the finish under. Their are plenty of horror stories with this and my GT has stuck plasti dip because it was too lightly applied and spready out. I suggest against this. If you want to throw down painters tape then plasti dip that, then sure why not.

Yeah, its kinda tough to get off. My buddy did a stripe on his Charger and it took the paint off on removal. My other buddy put it on his rear bumper of his Trans Am (looks good) but when it wore off it was really tough to remove in some spots. He re-sprayed it and it looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread