Terminator Cobra

fangstang

Established Member
By now I'm sure you all have heard of the Terminator Cobra being released either early 2002 or early 2003. 400+ supercharged 4-valve! Bigger rims and tires,new hood, new rear spoiler and probably a lot more. I'm going to get info asap on this beast from svt and my dealership. Its sure to be a low volume car to close the chapter on the new edge mustangs before the new ones come out. Just curious, is anyone going to trade their cobra in if and when this car goes on sale?

isdnmatt

Established Member
I definitely won't be trading mine in.

First, I would lose at least $5000 on the trade. I'm sure they'll finally have a good twin turbo setup for the 4V by the time it comes around.

I'll just put the money towards that and make 100 HP more the the Terminator.

The other stuff is just for show, I'm more of a go person.

-Matt

SVTNICK

Established Member
???

Terminator Cobra? As far as my info goes from SVT, thats just a rumor. So far they are admitting that they are redesigning for 2004. Who told you about this Terminator Stang?? Im interested in more info if it does indeed exist.

Thanks

fangstang

Established Member
where have you been for the last 3 months? They have been working on a black model dissgiused up. They're not sure whats under the hood yet but rumor has it it will be a supercharged 4.6L 32 valve. They said its gonna come out either early 2002 or early 2003.

P.S. Look in the latest issues of MM&FF, 5.0, and i think they had something in motortrend.

SVTNICK

Established Member
my bad

I was out of the Mustang scene for a year and a bit and look what happens...I miss all the good info. Wel..Im back and have almost caught up on all the news. YEah..i finally found the article in MM&FF..(i get the mag..no damn time to read it up until recently)..anyhow..I did confirm with one of my old buddies that it is indeed a supercharged 4.6L(works for SVT). (COuldnt get an answer on suspension...yet). THe hood is wider as is the front end. If i can drag more details out of him..ill let u know...

Later
-NW

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
How bout they just give us the 5.0 4v, N/A with 400hp ?

I mean, a supercharger is cool and all, but unless they throw on a Novi or a Vortech, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Besides, for whatever price they are gonna charge for it I'd rather have a TDC kit :)

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I like the idea of a N/A 400 hp 5.0

but How about a 427 N/A 500 hp with a stout 6 speed.

Then when you throw on a Vortech with aftercooler you are looking at 670 hp.

While they are at it they can throw in a shifter ....and spend the time required to work all the bugs and quirks out.

Gimme a real monster with a stout drive train.

I want to eat Z06!!

I want Ford to really step up and make the Cobra the King of the road.

Call it the King Cobra .... oh and by the way make it for under 35K

fangstang

Established Member
They are probably not going to make more than 1,000 cars, which makes it very rare and probably wil cost as much as a cobra convert. As for the 5.0, I dont think so. The Terminator will be the last of the current cobras and will most likely use the 4.6 you and I have. The NEXT generation cobra should use a N/A 5.0 or better yet 5.4 to make atleast 350-400hp and that much torque.

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
yup, RARE meaning $$$$$$

Then the dealer add on charge for "Limited Availability"

I looked at a brand new Cobra back in 1996 when the 4v came out. $27,000 sticker, not too bad, then I notice the $4,000 dealer add on for "Limited Availability"

I went a bought 6spd Z28. It was faster anyway, and a lot less money.

:D

01Snake

Established Member
The lease on my Cobra is up in mid '03, so if the Terminator makes production, I might consider it (yeah, right). Rumor has it that SVT is going after the Vette and the Viper with this car, so I'm sure it will be priced accordingly. Couple this with limited availability and dealer markup, and you have another '00 Cobra R situation (meaning 50-60 grand). For most of the guys that would really want this car, the price of admission will probably be too high. I think SVT has reached the price ceiling with the currrent Cobra and should concentrate on keeping the current following of enthusiast coming back for more SVT products. Sure, a 400 HP Cobra is awesome, but how many of the current owners would pony up the cash needed to purchase one. Don't get me wrong, they won't have any trouble selling them, but most of them will be stashed away in hermetically sealed garages by speculators looking to cash in. Very few will see any street or track time. I hope SVT doesn't lose focus on its core group of enthusiasts by moving the Cobra up the price scale. I think money would be better spent beefing up the 4.6 or adding some of the emissions legal equipment in the Ford Racing catalog. The power gains wouldn't be as great, but the final price would be more realistic. Maybe after all the speculators have bought the Terminator, Ford will have made enough profit to absorb the development costs and will make this the mainstream Cobra motor for the redesigned '04 Stang. I'm sure Ford wants to sell as many '03 as it can, at the greatest profit margin the market will bear, so they certainly won't tell you if this will be the '04 motor until the '03 production year has come to a close. We can only wait and see.

Last edited:

SVTNICK

Established Member
From what I understand

From what I understand, with the F-Body out of the picture, Ford is indeed going after the corvette and viper with its future endeavors with the Cobra. I dont really think the "Terminator" stang is the car Ford plans to do it with. I believe Ford has something up their sleaves for the 2004 model year. 2004 gives them the chance to truly develop the Mustang from the ground up, and to finally put in the much needed refinment for it to really contend with cars like the Corvette and Viper, except with a much cheaper price tag.

With the current stang, I believe Ford is just cashing in on nastalga, with the Bullit, ANd possibly the MAch 1 and "Terminator" stangs. THese cars are just cars designed by marketing guys looking to maximize Ford dollar with what ever means they currently have, before the new model comes out.
..not that thats all bad...but if you are really looking for the Stang supercar, Id wait till 2004.

-Nick

SVTNICK

Established Member
And lets not forget

I watched a few stock 01 do 13.3.-13.5 second quarter mile times at E-town. Thats with a 3:27 rear. This means the 01 do indeed probably go to 60 in about 4.5 seconds..which means we r not that far off from really breathing down a Zo6 neck...which also means we can already probably beat the guy with the regular corvette next door since vette drivers have no clue how to drive..:)..

My point you ask...with 3:73 gears or 4:10 and a naturally aspirated motor, I think we can take the Zo6..and if by chance u r supercharged..well you tell me. I think what makes the Mustang so great is its potential. The current incarnatation of the Cobra still has potential (unlike the zo6 where really all you can do is slap a supercharger on her or give your car to a tuner for 50000 in upgrades which still only makes her .01 seconds faster). The current Cobra can beat a z06 with some monor tweeks and alot of practice behind the wheel.

ahhhh..i love my car....
bring on the z06

-Nick

KINGPIN

Established Member
The Terminator Mustang sounds interesting. If it or something similar stays in the sub $40k ballpark I could see owning one. Also, the new Cobras are nice but I think " breathing down the ZO6's neck, and beating regular Corvettes " is a little optimistic.
Jeff

fangstang

Established Member
I definitly think the 2001 cobras can beat the automatic corvettes anyday(good driver). If you were to throw in 4.10's, aftermarket shifter, and pullies, we'll piss on the corvettes!(not the Z06 though)

Established Member
About beating Vettes, I beat a new Vette last week in G-ville on the street. It was very close, but I won. It was from a roll, so my inability to launch didn't play into it! :rolling:

SVTNICK

Established Member
2 cents

Like I said before, the Corvette and the 01 Cobra are in the same 13 second quarter mile time (the Zo6 can do high 12's, but I have yet to see it happen on my track). THere are some guys who have been able to get a stock aspirated Cobra into the low 12's even high 11's (Proj Black Cloud in Correl) with some careful tuning(tuning meaning gears pullys and exhaust) and good driving. What I like about the Cobra is its potential. You can beat Vettes with it without a supercharger.

-NW

MIKE IURO

Established Member
HEY GUYS
I HEARD THE TERMINATOR COBRA VERY WELL MAY USE A 4.6 2V MOTOR WITH THE SUPERCHARGER, NOT THE 4V MOTOR....
MAKES SENSE BECAUSE IF THEY USED THE COBRA WHAT THE POINT SUPERCHARGING FOR 80H.P.???? NUMBERS WISE IT SOUNDS LIKE A G.T. WITH A S/C....THE MACH 1 WILL USE THE COBRA MOTOR AND THE COBRA WILL SEE A BOOST IN POWER FOR 02.....

AS FAR AS BEATING Z06'S, I THINK WE SHOULD WORK ON SS CAMAROS FIRST....LOL

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
2002 Cobra Information

I am both an SVT salesperson and an owner of a 2001 cobra convertible I have noticed that the 2002 Cobra is being offered with a 6spd and a supercharged 4.6 4v engine in the ordering specifications. No pricing has been developed as of yet but the car is not due out till may of 2002. I'll update the information on here as sonn as I have updated information but I am happy to see the 6spd since i hate the tremec 3650.

Users who are viewing this thread