Terminator Cobra

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: 2002 Cobra Information

Originally posted by COBRAJIM9999
I am both an SVT salesperson and an owner of a 2001 cobra convertible I have noticed that the 2002 Cobra is being offered with a 6spd and a supercharged 4.6 4v engine in the ordering specifications. No pricing has been developed as of yet but the car is not due out till may of 2002. I'll update the information on here as sonn as I have updated information but I am happy to see the 6spd since i hate the tremec 3650.

HOW F'IN COOL WOULD THAT BE!!!

SVTNICK

Established Member
True....I think that if they really do use this 4.6 4v with some sort of supercharger, i think we all could probably duplicate it in some fashion...hood and all...and not even worry about the new "Cobra". Maybe we could even order the parts through our local Ford Motorsport Dealer. Im curious as to which 6 speed they will use...if they do indeed use one. Did I read correctly somewhere that Roushe development was helping with this new incarnation of the cobra/terminator??

BTW..I just talked to my SVT dealer, he said only the pricing for ordering info for 2002 Mustangs and other Fords came out. Nothing on the Cobra.
Here is the new link on their website.

http://www.downsford.com/orderguide.htm

SVTNICK

Established Member
SVT dealer called me back. Said pricing and option list should be available at the end of November...

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
There are some realistic people, and some really unrealistic people.

Big difference in automatic Vettes and 6spd Vettes. Autos good for 105ish trap speeds and the 6spd is good for 109ish trap speeds. Also there are two different rear gear ratios in the auto that make a huge difference. However, a Vette is a Vette.... Until you start talking Z06. I haven't seen any Z06s in the 12s yet, but have seen them trap at 112-114mph. No gears will not get you anywhere near a Z06. Bob Cosby's "Black Cloud" ran 11.97 @ 112mph, think about that. 4.56 gears, BFG Drag radials, lots of weight reduction and a SOLID AXLE swap. Basically, a lot more than just "careful tuning". The MPH alone tells me that with some sticky tires the Z06 is good for 11s also, BONE STOCK.

I'm all about my car but I have no illusions as to what I can and can't beat on the street or the track.

And for the Z06 having no "potential"... umm, headers, cam, port work, etc... On top of an already very potent motor.

What does the average supercharged Cobra run ? 115mph or so ? About what a Z06 can run stock.

0-60 in 4.5 secs, who cares when you get passed on the top end ?

As for Ford putting the T56 in the Cobra, how bout some gears to go with it ? 3.27s and the taller 1st gear in the T56 wouldn't make for very good launching, and 6th gear would prolly get worse mileage than 5th.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt_Sterbator

As for Ford putting the T56 in the Cobra, how bout some gears to go with it ? 3.27s and the taller 1st gear in the T56 wouldn't make for very good launching, and 6th gear would prolly get worse mileage than 5th.

I get better mileage in fourth than fifth, unless i'm doing over 80.

MIKE IURO

Established Member
WELL SAID
THE 350 MOTORS HAVE HUGE POTENTIAL...ONE OF THE FORD MAGAZINES DYNO'D A STOCK SS AT 321 AT THE REAR WHEELS....
YOU CAN DO A LOT TO THE 4.6 BUT REALLY WERE DRIVING OUR CARS BECAUSE WE LIKE THE CAR, NOT BECAUSE IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE FASTEST THING OUT THERE....
JUST A THOUGHT.

key

Established Member
Originally posted by MIKE IURO
WELL SAID
THE 350 MOTORS HAVE HUGE POTENTIAL...ONE OF THE FORD MAGAZINES DYNO'D A STOCK SS AT 321 AT THE REAR WHEELS....

Just a note... The new SS they tested isn't a 350.

Also, I find it pretty odd that SC'd Cobra's only run 115 traps, when most make close to or over 400 RWHP. Does this have something to do with power under the curve?

And Hamilton, from how I saw you driving last night, you're over 80 MPH a lot :D

SVTNICK

Established Member
FR500??

Does anybody think any of the mods done on the FR500 will arrive on the "refreshened" Cobra for 2002??

Last edited:

key

Established Member
I vote centrifugal!

(Even though Roush is said to have a hand in the Terminator, and they use a roots on their Stage III)

isdnmatt

Established Member
I'd love a Roots. We need to add something on the low end.

Either way, I hope that if/when my tranny goes, they'll just be like "hey, throw a 6-speed in there"

-Matt

MIKE IURO

Established Member
HI GUYS....
HELP ME OUT HERE....
IN 2 OR 3 WEEKS I WILL HAVE A VERY SIZEABLE DOWNPAYMENT FOR A NEW CAR....I WANT A NEW COBRA BUT BY THAT TIME I DONT KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE ANY 01'S LEFT...
I AM WILLING TO WAIT FOR 02'S BUT I DONT KNOW IF THE TERMINATOR WILL BE THE ONLY COBRA OFFERED. IF IT IS I BELIEVE BETWEEN MSRP AND DEALER MARKUP ON THAT VEHICLE, AND THERE WILL BE, THAT IT WILL BE JUST TOO EXPENSIVE.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A NON SUPERCHARGED COBRA WILL BE AVAILABLE??
ANY INFO ON THE MACH 1??

THANKS GUYS

clarksniper

: I saw that Mustang today at work(Rouge Plant). It was all black, manufacturers plate, so it's a proto.
It was all black, badass rims, and the spoiler is unique. The spoiler is short(about 4 inches high) and it has a few supports on each side towards the outside, it is a great looking spoiler. The interior was charcoal leather and the guages really stood out, standard with a bright face, not digital.
I asked the engineer driving it to take me for a spin but he said he couldn't. I asked him to walk a way for a few minutes and leave the keys in it but for some reason he declined? I couldn't get him to open the hood either.
One thing of note, it has ground effects all around c'ept the rear. The sides look really low to the ground and the front clip is very low. They made the clip look as if it has an air splitter installed, but it is all 1 piece. Here's the juicer!- it has side exhaust like my 2KR does! The exhaust comes out the side of the ground effect in front of the rear wheels so you can't see much of it, but it looks great.
Anyway, the car looks absolutely fabulous, but it sounded even better. The guy took off pretty hard for me and it had to be almost as loud as my R, but not as deep sounding. You can hear the subtle whine of the supercharger a bit more than on the Lightning. There is no mistaking it for anything but a supercharged motor. The wheels were 18" and deepdish with a black inside an aluminum looking outter wall.
I asked the guy if they were going to offer it in a convertable and he said he couldn't tell me that either.
The car is bad-to-the-bone, i'll be getting pics of it this week if I can spy another one. I don't have webspace so I'll email them to the moderator when I get them.
Hope this helps...

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
SWEET ASS!
the sales manager at my local SVT dealership said that the Cobra was strictly a carryover from '01, nothing special. I hope he's wrong.

sssSnake 01

Established Member
Spoken like a guy that wants to sell you a car before the Spring of 02.

There may be some truth to it if there is a special edition as well as a carryover.

From what I have been reading there are plans for many different special edition and nastalgia Mustangs over the next few years.

It was stated that nothing other than a Cobra will take top honors in the performance department.

I think the product line integrity will be maintained like this (purely speculation on my part):

Mustang - V6 Entry level with minor variations in trim and a possible HP upgrade for the first time car buyer on a budget.

The baseline GT with improvements like an IRS for the guy who still wants to build his own.

Special Edition V-8 Mustang variants based on the SOHC.

I think we will also see exclusive special editions such as the Boss, Mach 1, with possible N/A 5.0 and 5.4 liter engines.

Then Cobra will likely get upgrades in HP and exhuast.

Finally the specialty Cobras will capture the niche market for those who want a new breed of monster with all the goodies built in and are prepared to poney up to the steeper price tags.

Users who are viewing this thread