Terminator Headliner

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's getting close to ordering a new headliner for my Cobra which I believe is Ford p/n: 4R3Z6351916AAC charcoal gray

This part is discontinued buy Ford but this web site list the OE headliner for $400 but something tells me it's not available thru them but I will call to confirm whether it's in stock.

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...ustang-2004/vtec/174317/pid/790d661297da2464/

Does anyone else know where I can get a new OEM headliner for an 04?

The other option is a cloth covered ABS molded headliner Late Model Restoration carries as well as others.

7440993_1.jpg

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-940420/1994-2004-Mustang-Coupe-Molded-Headliner-Dark-Charcoal

Does anyone have experience with this aftermarket headliner or have you seen one? I prefer the OE headliner but this may be a good 2nd choice.

Removing the headliner in this car was worse then cleaning gutters. The glue the factory uses was almost impossible to remove I am glad I didn't damage the roof in the process. I've seen a few used ones but knowing how difficult they are to remove I think anything you find used will have sustained some damage removing it :nonono:

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
If they sell it but if they don’t I would take the old headliner to an upholstery shop and you can pick the color and texture you want, unless you just want oem the shops I have been to can get the oe fabric as well and don’t worry if you put creases in it when you removed it they can fix that, on a side note after market trim and upholstery rarely fits right theres always trimming and fitting after the install, I would bet an upholstery shop would be in the same ball park cash wise good luck

SlowSVT

Established Member
If they sell it but if they don’t I would take the old headliner to an upholstery shop and you can pick the color and texture you want, unless you just want oem the shops I have been to can get the oe fabric as well and don’t worry if you put creases in it when you removed it they can fix that, on a side note after market trim and upholstery rarely fits right theres always trimming and fitting after the install, I would bet an upholstery shop would be in the same ball park cash wise good luck

That would be an option if I didn't destroy the one that came on the car. The glue holding it to the roof was absolutely tenacious! Didn't have much of a choice it had to come out when it did. If you want to salvage a headliner slated for removal that would best be left to the professionals.

RichM1983

Established Member

SlowSVT

Established Member
Have you checked a local junk yard?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Ford-M...ash=item27f59277f1:g:FUAAAOSw~uhUo086&vxp=mtr

Not that you would want this one because its not the cleanest but I would imagine a pick and pull junk yard might have one. I don't think the trim level matters, they are all the same I would think. Maybe yours was just an extra pain and others come out easier.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately being in "good" condition won't meet the standard which is somewhere between "new" and "perfect". That glue still gives me nightmares but I can understand why they use it. Somewhere I have got to believe there is a factory headliner sitting in a box in someone's inventory but will resurface 20 years from now in Hemmings Motor News as NOS LOL. The good thing is I can fall back on the aftermarket unit which may be of some advantage since I have altered my roof structure somewhat.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Www.stockinteriors.com has where you can buy the naked board for 150.00 or a color for 16.00 more. Personally, I don't care for the oem material used. Looks cheap. If I ever replace mine I'll buy the bare one and have it covered.

Ya know, THIS IS WHY I HANG OUT HERE! :rockon:

SVTP is by far the best Mustang site bar none! A headliner is a pretty mundane subject yet I can get answers and leads.

Josh, I called the lead you provided Sock Interiors and this is what I found out: They can provide a ready to install headliner for $166. They also sell just the bare ABS backing and you can cover it yourself like you said. Yes your right, the 03's had a cargo net. I have an 04 which didn't have one which is a good thing I don't wanna confuse anyone if this headline came with a net LOL

http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=18115&ModelId=201&MakeId=8

The p/n is: 18115. This is an ABS vacuum formed headliner most likely made from the same tooling as the one in the link I provided but this one cost 1/2 the price. They cannot guarantee the color match but you can request samples. Nothing in their color selections says "dark charcoal gray" so that will need to be confirmed which I will do and post whether it's a match or not.

One of the reason I prefer the OE headliner is that it has a cardboard honeycomb crush cushion bonded to the inside and is there for safety reasons. My thinking is there is the possibility at some point you might appreciate the fact that it's there should your head impact the roof in a rollover. This material may be available on the web I will look into that. The other advantage of the OE cardboard headliner is it won't dry out and get brittle over time like ABS may. I don't know this for sure but my money would be on the OE unit holding-up better over time.

I will find out where to get the same glue the factory uses. As much as I hated removing the headliner I was impressed with it's bonding strength. When you consider the car is going to be sitting in the hot sun reaching 170° year after year the last thing you want is the for the headliner start delaminating off the roof. I rarely question the factory engineers decisions. They put a lot of thought into the materials and construction of the car and are way smarter then I am. As hot rodders we get to do things they can only dream about but given a “free hand” they would put us all out of business! :mj:

Anyone else have any leads where I can get a new factory headliner?

joshcarp81

Established Member
Well only thing else I could think of is the fact not all headliners are cardboard. I've taken quite a few out over the years from buicks to Hondas and other fords. A few of the ford's and buicks were the similiar type of plastic used in our trunks that are covered in carpet material. I'm sure you know what I mean judging by your current project. I don't think long-term would be an issue here. Only thought I had would be regarding the honeycomb material and your concern here. I know you said yours was trashed during removal. Could you reuse these pieces? As for the glued to the roof part. I've never encountered a headliner that was glued to the vehicle in the manner you speak of. Usually held in place with surrounding trim pieces and map light.
I'll keep digging to see if I can find an oem for ya as I have a few calls to make about some other oem stuff.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Update

I called Steve at Taska Ford who managed to find the only 2 remaining factory headliners for the NE Mustang on the planet. The only problem is it's tan (perchment) and not charcoal gray. I will need to remove the fabric and apply the correct fabric. After that the aftermarket ABS headliner will be the only choice available.

I asked about getting the factory adhesive and was told that particular adhesive is no longer available. I guess I'll check with an interior guy and see what they recommend for an alternative adhesive.

I'll post some details pics of the new unit for historical records.

Now I just need to find that charcoal gray head liner fabric, anyone know where I may be able to find that?

joshcarp81

Established Member
perfectfit.com is where I ordered all headliner materials in the past. Haven't done one in awhile but If I remember correctly they have samples you can buy. They also have an online color sample chart if that is good enough.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I received the Perchment color headliner from Steve at Taska and thought I would post some pics. According to Steve there is 1 more left in stock and then they are gone (not to worry I think the ABS backed aftermarket headliners will be available for quite some time).

The focus on the interior side wasn't so good but there is not much mystery here. I think the camera had a hard time finding detail it could focus on which is why its so blurry as my phone camera usually takes pretty good pics.

SN95%20headlinver%201_zpsxezjlnem.jpg

Here is the roof side which shows details few have seen. The thing I like about the factory headline that the aftermarket one's lack is the crush pad on either side. I think the purpose of this is to protect from head injuries in a side impact. Note how sharp this pic is compared to the other image.

SN95%20headliner%202_zpsfxnjua7j.jpg

I didn't realize it came with the dome light where the after units don't so if you replace your headliner make sure you remove the existing one and move it over to the new one. The headliner cost me $180.

The cardboard is double ply corrugated which bends fairly easily (the ABS one may be stiffer in this regard but that all depends on how thick it is). I can't see how this can be removed without destroying (or at least damaging) it :nonono:

I'll have the interior shop replace the fabric with the charcoal gray before they install it but for now it's back in the box and on the shelf. I think I found a place that carries a close match for the fabric I'm will just need to conform the color match with the rest of the interior.

I'm glad I got this piece of the puzzle resolved, that and the dash assy :rockon:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Russ,

Your right, I bet most here havent seen a headliner removed. I never knew there was impact protection on the roof. So you you going to re-cover it in factory color/material?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Russ,

Your right, I bet most here havent seen a headliner removed. I never knew there was impact protection on the roof. So your going to re-cover it in factory color/material?

Troy

The felt factory fabric isn't bad looking and is original. I am open to using other material if someone has an alternative fabric that looks good. Josh posted some good links. Anyone have a suggestion for headliner material?

I got 2 quotes for re-covering the headliner. One guy quoted $450 which was quickly followed-up by the sound of a dial tone. The 2nd guy quoted $150 which is reasonable.

Here is an ebay link to a vendor who sells the fabric. None of the color descriptions state "charcoal gray" nor does the color samples match but the site does claim to carry the 04 Cobra fabric. I guess a phone call and a sample will tell if he carries the correct color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-04-Ford-...ash=item1a03b614b4:g:pXYAAOSwEeFVQ6WN&vxp=mtr

Luck would have it looking at the ebay site I noted a used 03 headliner in decent shape is posted :nonono: Some of the cardboard where the adhesive was peeled off which is expected and some stains around the edges which is not expected but overall it looks pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-M...ash=item2a5f23df5e:g:Y58AAOxy3NBSj4TN&vxp=mtr

I'll have the moderator move this thread to the "Interior" sections after it plays out for future reference. I didn't post this there because no one would see it.

Users who are viewing this thread